•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally a good day

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:56 AM

Finally a good day and nothing on the to do list

Set up the scope and at 9:30 / 10 and it’s already hot, so this is a double fan day to stay comfortable at the scope.
Was not disapointed. Several proms around , kinda on the faint side but I was able to pull them in nicely, lots of detail as I could use my 10mm eyepieces for around 164X. 
Of coarse the limb was showing off, spicules we’re doing there dance , noticeable change and always worth some study

The real treat was on the surface, a couple large filaments were obvious and several small ones you have to look for.

Several areas of interesting plage and the sunspot or pore was obvious. The intricate surface detail around theses areas are fascinating to observe as adjusting the tuner for different layers.

Going back out for a short while and I’m sure the seeing will start boiling and I’ll go again tomorrow 

• Doug Culbertson, rigel123, MalVeauX and 3 others like this

#2 Hank Molesky

Hank Molesky

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

Glad you’re having a good day. Been cloudy here all day. There was some nice activity yesterday.

#3 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

Nice report.  Curious how do you get 164x with a 10mm eyepiece on a 100mm f7 scope?

#4 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:31 PM

Nice report.  Curious how do you get 164x with a 10mm eyepiece on a 100mm f7 scope?

I use a Denk II with a power switch that provides 1.2x / 1.7x / 2.3x 

Math was never my strong suit but I think I figured rightwink.gif

• dhkaiser likes this

#5 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:16 PM

Glad you finally got some quality viewing time!

#6 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

Two days in a row.

Another good outing for about 2 hours. 
The same story, the disk has multiple areas of interest that I could observe at a bit less mag then yesterday .

Big Proms were dim and it was fascinating pan around the limb and watch the spicules,  it was the disk that was the  winner again today.

Its only comfortable with 2 fans blowing on me at the scope, HOT, HOT, HOT

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics