•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Returning to Imaging - a few Questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 donsinger

donsinger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

Just getting back into imaging after a 12 year hiatus (prime earning years, kids in college, etc...), now that I am in retirement and have more time and $. I am amazed at the advancements, mostly in software....so many cool tools that make imaging so much easier than it was in the past, and more affordable!

I spent last night focusing the main camera and guidescope, checking PA with PHD2,  running the PHD2 Guiding Assistant, and running a trial imaging plan of M92 in APT....my setup includes a CEM25p mount, AT60 with flattner for imaging, ASI533MC camera, and using an ASI120MM for guiding. This setup weighs about 7.5lbs which is not taxing the mount.

I have a few questions:

-I plan to practice with my setup over the next week before leaving for vacation. Is leaving the scope/camera/etc..attached to the mount during this time ok (thus saving having to disturb things and saving setup time each evening)?

-To Use a LPR or not...I live in the hills adjacent to downtown Portland, so the skies are Bortle 8.....should I start off my imaging and processing adventure using an LPR?..I have seen conflicting comments about this...I know my processing skills are worse than rusty at the moment, sooo...

I guess the argument in favor of using an LPR right off would be, well, learning to use it as part of the work flow which addresses a BIG problem (i.e. Light Pollution)

The counter argument against using the LPR would be to re-learn processing skills until comfortable before adding another element into the mix (i.e. the LPR)...

Feedback appreciated.

Best

Don KF7DS

Edited by donsinger, 05 July 2020 - 12:27 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics