•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Full Moon – 7/4/2020 – Astro-Tech RC8, Nikon D5300a

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

Telescope: Astro-Tech 8” f/8 Ritchey-Cretien, Orion Atlas EQ-G
Camera: Full Spectrum Modified Nikon D5300
Filter: Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter
Exposure: 64x1/500sec, ISO 400, saved as RAW
Seeing: fair, 3/5
White Balance: Photoshop & Nebulosity Automatic
Software: Backyard Nikon, Nebulosity, Registax, Photoshop

Moon (7-4-2020)-1j.jpg

Last night was soooo beautiful with the Buck Moon shining through holes in a mostly cloudy sky on a warm Fourth of July evening. I managed to grab enough images that were reasonably free of clouds to piece together a reasonable result. This is actually a fairly rare event; a full moon that is actually full! The moon usually passes well north or south of the Earth’s shadow and a thin terminator sweeps across the moon’s northern or southern limb. In this case the moon was about as close as it can get to full and even here if you look very closely you can see shadows among the mountains and craters near the northern limb. This image set was taken as the moon was about to make contact with the southern edge of the Earth’s faint outer shadow, resulting in a full moon that was exceptionally bright, and _almost_ completely full.

Note that is image was only slightly cropped the even out the border and to set the 4:3 aspect ratio. So the moon just _barely_ fits within the field of view of an APS-c sensor and the flat, comma-free field of the RC8 does a good job capturing the entire lunar disk. This also demonstrates that the full field of view of the RC8 measures about 0.5x0.75 degrees when paired with an APS-c sensor.

Neat stuff!

• Starman27, Michael Covington, ddegroot and 4 others like this

#2 chuck666

chuck666

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Surprise, Arizona

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:35 PM

It's reversed from earth view... LOL

#3 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

Nicely detailed. There is a little bit of red fringing on the bottom edge of the disc. Is that due to atmospheric dispersion, given that the RC8 has no refractive elements?

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:13 PM

Either that, or it is a bit of residual red left over from my attempt to ballance the color from this full-spectrum modified camera. I'm red/green color blind so I tend to miss color problems with red and green. Sometimes I'm better off just desaturating the image.

Ugh.

#5 chuck666

chuck666

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Surprise, Arizona

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:13 PM

I also grabbed an image last night @ exactly 9:43 pm, the full moon minute.

Canon 800D unmodded, 55-250 kit lens at 250mm, ISO 200, 1/200 sec at f11. Single shot.

More POP, since it was the 4th.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1328 (3).jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics