•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Effect of Sky Background % when stacking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RogueZero

RogueZero

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:50 PM

What kind of effect does variance in sub-exposure sky background % have on the final stacked image? Should low background % be selected for in the same way that low FWHM is?

For example in my latest set of subs the sky background varies between 1.44% and 0.92% over the course of the night. Should I exclude a proportion of the higher % subs (all other things being equal) to improve quality of the final image?

Thanks

#2 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Gemini

• Loc: UK

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:35 PM

Where do you see sky background % reported?  I'm not even sure what it means to measure sky background as a percentage.

I guess you are asking the question in the context of a particular processing package?

Mark

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:43 PM

I also don't follow. What software is this and what is "sky background %?"

#4 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

DSS shows Sky Background

#5 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Gemini

• Loc: UK

Posted 05 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

I guess DSS is reporting sky background as a percentage of the saturation level.

In any case,  don't worry if the sky background changes slightly from exposure to exposure because it's quite normal.  But you may want to investigate any outliers to remove exposures affected by passing cloud or exposures that "misfired" in some way.

Mark

#6 RogueZero

RogueZero

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:10 PM

Yes, sorry, this is in DSS. I thought sky background was a recognized stat as DSS shows it along with the other important stats.

Thanks

I wasn't sure if higher sky background values ended up reducing contrast or increasing noise.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics