•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

observing partial penumbral eclipses

moon observing observing report
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:36 PM

Was anyone able to successfully observe the partial penumbral eclipse last night?  All of the threads I have read so far seem to be negative on being able to detect the Terran penumbral shadow.  I was getting too sleepy after the fireworks to try to observe it myself, but there will be another partial penumbral eclipse in November 2020 (though of a larger magnitude than the July 2020 eclipse).

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 05 July 2020 - 05:39 PM.

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:43 PM

I was out until 3 in NE Kansas observing with some family friends, and none of us could determine that anything was going on. 

• Huan likes this

#3 Jeff L

Jeff L

Viking 1

• Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:43 PM

I was out a few times trying to see something, even at 12:30 supposedly at the peak and noticed nothing.

#4 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:47 PM

You’ll be unimpressed until there’s an Umbral eclipse. Really not worth staying up for.

#5 Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi

Ranger 4

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:55 PM

Didn't really look like an eclipse, but it was still impressive. The darkening effect removed most of the glare, giving the moon for more contrast. I've never seen that much detail during a full moon before.

Usually only the area around the terminator is of any interest. The amount of lunar detail visible through my Oberwerk 20x80s was quite overwhelming!

#6 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

It would act as a natural ND filter. I don’t typically use one and let my eyes adjust. But it does seem blinding.....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon, observing, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics