•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Moon vs. Webster

dob equipment reflector
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:00 PM

SpicaEyes SlipStream scopes by Tom Osypowski, A very  knowledgeable and helpful fellow...

Edited by Kunama, 07 July 2020 - 08:10 PM.

• Pierre Lemay likes this

#27 a__l

a__l

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:04 PM

Kennedy is no longer making mirrors.

OMI has closed its business.

There was a good price/quality for large fast mirrors.

It's a pity...

Edited by a__l, 07 July 2020 - 08:10 PM.

#28 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:59 AM

His customers buying his scopes. He says 80% order CF.

Also I see no benefit to a second ring if there is no web between them, but he says even the single ring was strong enough, and that he made the second ring to appeal to customers.

I think poles can be thin and that lack of triangulation is the issue. But if I were to sell poles, I'd offer thicker ones to those who want them.

Did you view the vid?

In the vid Ryan notes that some of his customers have experienced warp of the single ring caused by over-tightening the spider. While this can be taken care of by just reducing the tension on the spider, he is offering the new set-up as an option (no-cost for the next several months - if you currently have a NMT Hybred on order - you can switch to this unit at no price increase).

The new "aluminum/carbon fiber sandwich ring" (his description on FaceBook) looks like a very short version of a typical "classic" UTA - with multiple connectors between the two rings made of the same material (carbon fiber) as the truss polls. The number of "connectors" will depend on the size of the telescope. In order to "twist" this new double-ring UTA it would require tension/compression applied to the vertical tubes connecting the rings - and the spider attaches between them. The added strength of the new double-ring allows for stronger attachment of things like optical finder scopes (there is a 50mm on the 16" in the vid). Since each of the two 'new' rings is only half as thick as the 'single ring' the total weight increase is probably very little.

It also features a brand new spider/secondary-cell unit that is now attached between the two rings - that has a number of advantages over the prior unit - especially in the way it attaches and the way it holds the secondary. 

The only 'thing' I noted is -- Ryan goes back to suspending the "focuser board" from the double-ring UTA - saying that there is no longer a reason to include it in the truss pole system, since the new UTA/double-ring is strong enough to hold it in place.

It looks like a stronger UTA arrangement to me - compared to the single ring. However, my personal experience with playing with NMT's is that there's no issue with the current single-ring Hybrid design. Observing with a 20" F/3.3 for several nights, and playing with it in the daytime with a laser collimator - I saw no loss of collimation, even with a heavy 31mm Nagler & comma corrector. The NMT 20 F/3.3 Hybrid provided essentially identical views to my Obsession 20 F/5 set up 6 or 8 paces away for four nights, and very comparable to a 'classic design' SDM 22" F/3.8 --- other than the NMT was so small that people walking past the scopes thought it was a 16".

For right now -- I think going with this option if ordering an NMT is a "no-brainer" -- after that the added cost of the "option" would be a consideration. It is clearly better - and looks a whole-lot better than the single-ring -- but in my experience the NMT single ring works as advertised, so cost would be  consideration for me.

Edited by George N, 08 July 2020 - 10:10 AM.

• Bill Jensen likes this

#29 a__l

a__l

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:16 PM

Also I see no benefit to a second ring if there is no web between them, but he says even the single ring was strong enough, and that he made the second ring to appeal to customers.

This is a more correct solution than one ring.
In addition to N31 + paracorr2, you can go further.
+ NV (for afocal) + camera (see the Lockwood website). In turn, the NV may include another, heavier lens, comparable to the weight of a regular eyepiece.
You yourself may not know how you will use your telescope in the future.

Edited by a__l, 08 July 2020 - 07:07 PM.

• Bill Jensen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, equipment, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics