•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI and hibernate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crn3371

crn3371

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:29 PM

Up until now I’ve mostly been controlling my Evo 8 with my iPad, using either SkyPortal or SkySafari. I’ve started to take advantage of the hibernate feature with good results. I’m starting to explore astrophotography and want to try using CPWI for control. Is hibernation available from within CPWI? I’m using StarSense so alignment isn’t a problem, but being able to hibernate would be nice.

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:48 AM

You can save and load a pointing model.  It asks for an index.  When closing shop for the night, send it to home.  When the home poisiton is the index position, it is easier.

You really don't need CPWI for astrophotography.  Get a good polar alignment to get tracking.  Then just do a quick align with the handcontroller.  Plate solving will take you where you want to go if it's not spot on.  The tracking depends on the polar alignment only, not the goto alignment.  There is just no need to waste your time making an accurate pointing model.  Spend that time getting another few subexposures.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:11 AM

True, especially if you are only going to be looking at/imaging a few objects a night, But a good initial alignment gives you good pointing accuracy that will make plate solving faster (less move and solve again) and in general make using the scope more enjoyable. It's also a good capability to have practiced in actual use in case you need to fall back on it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics