•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good places for Solo-ing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 titan1978

titan1978

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:04 AM

Hello all - newbie astronomer here. Looking for some good spots in delaware to pursue the hobby. Any good spots that are public (prefer beaches but whatever works) with no harassment from cops seeing a lone guy roaming around :) and relatively mild light pollution in the state?

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:08 AM

If convenient and the set up suits usually good idea to search out clubs - they will have their own suitable dark site (hopefully) or at least have a couple well known to them.

US-Clubs

As you may be at the edge of Deleware there might be one kind of over the boarder that is closer - happens here.

After that I often find that nature reserve places are good. They have access roads in. One I use here is a single track in/out with passing places. At night I park up in one of the passing places. Find it easier to have swung the car round so facing outwards.

• izar187 likes this

#3 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:26 AM

I find normally if you inform the local police of your intentions first they will make a note of it and report it to the others. If you tell them you will be the guy using a telescope that they may drive by, which is great for protection and some actually come over for a peek. I have actually been allowed to observe in and at parks and beaches which were technically closed because I had gotten friendly with local police and they knew my intentions were not malicious. Might be worth your while to give it a try in Delaware.

• Jethro7 likes this

#4 Jethro7

Jethro7

Viking 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:04 AM

Hello Titan 1978,

Welcome to the CloudyNights Forum. A Local Astronomy club would be a great place to start. Also try Googling up Dark sky maps for your area. I also use farms, but you need to get permission from the owner and maybe a letter of permission at times. Farming communities take careful watch of each other and if someone drives by and sees a unfamiliar car parked on the farm or unfamilliar people about they may call the authorities. Also one golden rule for farms is "CLOSE ALL GATES BEHIND YOU"  or you may have a curious cow or horse join your Star Party. 

Dark skies finder

http://www.darksitefinder.com

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 06 July 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#5 titan1978

titan1978

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:36 AM

Thanks. Any suggestions in DE or nearby states? I've seen Cherry Springs in PA but its a bit too formal and long wait times thats not guaranteed. 

If convenient and the set up suits usually good idea to search out clubs - they will have their own suitable dark site (hopefully) or at least have a couple well known to them.

US-Clubs

As you may be at the edge of Deleware there might be one kind of over the boarder that is closer - happens here.

After that I often find that nature reserve places are good. They have access roads in. One I use here is a single track in/out with passing places. At night I park up in one of the passing places. Find it easier to have swung the car round so facing outwards.

#6 zleonis

zleonis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

You might look into the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge near Cambridge, Maryland. I haven't been there at night, but I recall there being several trailheads with small parking areas where you could probably set up.  The skies are decently dark in that part of Maryland, probably about as good as you could do from Delaware without a drive to the Alleghenies. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics