•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron IEQ45 Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:58 AM

Hey guys, i want to ask you a question regarding the Ioptron 45 pro.

After performing the mount`s alignment routine, i have most of the times, problems with guiding, and although i always use the feature "guiding assist" of PHD2, the programme always tells me that i have a poor alignment and that i should try different settings in PHD2 to improve the guiding.

So, in this step, here is my question: I perform the alignment of the mount, by leveling the tripod with the included bubble level of the mount, after, obviously, aiming the mount to the polar star area; after that i connect the polemaster to my computer, and i perform the Polemaster routine, first with the mount free of scope and counterweights, and then, with the scope , counterweights and all the equipment that i`ll use for the night; before finishing the procedure, i have the patience to center the circles, when performing the step "monitoring", in Polemaster final step, and that is a little annoying, because when im tighting all the srews on the mount, those circles always move out of the center, so, it takes a while to do it, and you have to tight a little each of them, one by one, until your satisfied.

Well, when i finish, the circles are dead center, always.

So, why, after performing the mount`s software three stars aligment, selecting a target and start guiding, i have such a message on PHD2, when using guide assist feature?

My graphics are weird also, the RA graphic always goes to -3 or -4 line and then stays more or less within these lines.

The result is that sometimes i dont have round stars on my subs, specially on the corners of the images.

What can be causing this situation? I was wondering if the cause root of this could  be the washers of the mount`s screws, that attach the mount`s head to the tripod.

Why i say this? Because of the described situation above. When im tighting the screws on the PHD2 final step, the circles move everytime i tight a little, and so, im suspecting that during the three stars alignment and target acquiring, those washers can cause some shifting and polar alignment can be off after this.

Do you have a similar situation?

#2 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

Post logs. Hard to tell what is going on without.
  • Emanuel likes this

#3 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

ok, i will, as soon as i can smile.gif

#4 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

So, here`s the PHD2 log file on one of the last nights ive been imaging.

Does it make any sense? hmm.gif

Attached Files

#5 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:56 PM

Well I have found that I can't trust PHD's polar alignment bit. There's a lot about guiding assistant that isn't 100% correct at all times.

If you did pole master correctly and the PM is attached correctly and you calibrated the center of rotation, it should work quite well.

Your guiding logs suggest you are running your guiding too relaxed for an ieq45 pro. I'd suggest you lower your min mo and go for a faster guide exposure, say 1.5 seconds. Also, use subframe mode on the camera to reduce download latency.

Finally, you might give the PPEC algorithm a go. It worked quite well for me on my old ieq45 pro.

Sorry for delays in replying, this week's been crazy with 14 work hour days and no time for much else. 

Edited by gotak, 08 July 2020 - 10:56 PM.

#6 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:10 AM

Thank you very much for your answer Gotak.
Very nice. Its always better when someone that has or had the same mount, can advise on how to improve the guiding.
Ive always struggle on Phd2 settings when it comes to selecting the best guide rates.
And then, my biggest problem is that from imaging session to imaging session, its always a big time lap, and that means that i always start again, you know? Like: "how did i do it last time?" Its frustrating...
I'll give it a go, with your recommendations....next time im imaging.
Thank you very much bow.gif

Edited by Emanuel, 09 July 2020 - 06:14 AM.

#7 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:41 PM

Just an update on this issue. Following Gotak suggestion, i got, on my latest guiding, a much better guide rates. Thank you very much for the help smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200717_233509.jpg

• gotak likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics