•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Narrowband imaging OIII dilemma i.e. Baader or Antlia

filters imaging
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Manav

Manav

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:18 AM

Hi everyone,

Late last year I bought a Baader ultra narrowband 3.5nm h-alpha filter which I'm having a lot of success with.

I live in a fairly heavy light-polluted area and was hoping to jump across to full narrowband imaging i.e. OIII and SII.

So I started looking around and noted that the Baader ultra narrowband collection has a wavelength of 4.5nm for OIII and SII.

And there aren’t many reviews of the Baader 4.5nm range so I thought I'd ask here.

1. Does it make a difference if h-alpha is 3.5nm and OIII and SII are not?

2. Another and a slightly cheaper option is Antlia 3.5nm Narrowband OIII and SII. I know there are halos on the Antlia filters (see this post https://www.cloudyni...o-measurements/) and was wondering how the Baader stack up?

4. Does it matter if I mix and match filters i.e. Baader with Antlia as long as they are all approximately the same wavelength?

Ideally, I would love to have Chroma OII and Antlia SII to complement my Baader Ha but the price of the Chroma is just too much for me.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Regards

#2 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM

1. No difference, many people mix and match sets and some shoot with multiple widths of same bands

2. Baader have halos on bright stars too, It's Astrodons and Chroma are best bet to not have halos or greatly reduced halos - can be your optic train, FF/Reducer and Camera causing some artifacts/accentuating halos.

3? :D

4.  Doesn't matter if you mix filters, you may just need to autofocus and have your flat/dark library matched. If you stick with certain brands they may be "parfocal" and uniform but TBH I'd focus anyway since rotating a filter out is as good as any time to focus without having to rely on Temp or Time

• Manav likes this

#3 Manav

Manav

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:24 AM

Thanks Byron - I'll save up and get the Antlia :)

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:35 AM

if you use an OAG then having filters of different thickness may cause the guidecam to go out of focus....just something to be aware of!

#5 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

That does bring up a valid point - if the filters aren't the same thickness, then your back focus or if you run an OAG could be impacted by a filter change.  I'd at least try and make sure they're the same thickness.  3mm is pretty standard.

#6 Manav

Manav

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:54 PM

Just checked for Antlia - The 36mm and smaller are 2mm while 50mm and larger are 3mm thick.

For Baader the Ha 3.5nm is 2mm thick but the funny thing is the remaining OIII and SII ultra-narrowband is 3mm...weird

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: filters, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics