•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is waiting on a new Astro Tech to arrive?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:53 PM

I ordered an AT130edt and I can't wait to get it. Their shipment is due in any day as it already cleared customs ten days ago. What model did you order? What will you use it for AP or visual?

Pictures will follow.

Edited by mikeinlehigh, 06 July 2020 - 04:11 PM.

• MarkGregory and Bomber Bob like this

#2 2696

Messenger

• Loc: New York

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:14 PM

I'm going to put in the order tomorrow but I'm waiting for the AT72 for a compact setup for travel and quick use. This scope will mainly be used for visual right now but I can see myself playing around with it for AP too.. Very excited for it.
  • MarkGregory likes this

#3 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:15 PM

I am, AT102EDL, but is about two months off. You are where I would like to be, lol.

• MarkGregory and Qilidj_Arslan like this

#4 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

I ordered an AT72EDll and when I checked last week Mike told me the scope was in customs and would be shipped out as soon as it clears the process. I was told they already prepared a shipping label in my name. That made me smile. Looking forward to receiving it soon. I will post an update here if I receive any updates. Mark. P.s. I will use it primarily for visual, but I do like to shoot photos of the Moon. 

Edited by MarkGregory, 06 July 2020 - 04:27 PM.

• BFaucett and 2696 like this

#5 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:32 PM

Come on guys, you're killing me!

#6 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

Anyone know what different models of refractors are in this shipment?

#7 Arcamigo

Arcamigo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gaston, Oregon, United States

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

I ordered an AT130edt and I can't wait to get it. Their shipment is due in any day as it already cleared customs ten days ago. What model did you order? What will you use it for AP or visual?

Pictures will follow.

Thank you for letting us know. I ordered the same thing as you. I plan to use it for both AP and visual, although my AP isn't anywhere near as good as many of the posts I've seen here.

#8 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:54 PM

Anyone know what different models of refractors are in this shipment?

While I can’t answer your question, I will tell you what I did. I wanted the AT72EDll and it was not in stock. Periodically, I clicked one one of the Astronomics ads on the side of the Cloudy Nights threads and checked the status of the scope. One day, it said in stock. I ordered it immediately and paid for it. A day later it was out of stock again. So, if there is a model you want, be persistent and check daily. If you see it, order it quickly. Mark

• The Luckster likes this

#9 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

While I can’t answer your question, I will tell you what I did. I wanted the AT72EDll and it was not in stock. Periodically, I clicked one one of the Astronomics ads on the side of the Cloudy Nights threads and checked the status of the scope. One day, it said in stock. I ordered it immediately and paid for it. A day later it was out of stock again. So, if there is a model you want, be persistent and check daily. If you see it, order it quickly. Mark

The AT72EDII hasn't been in stock even when it showed to be in stock since about Feb.  I ordered then when it was "in stock" only to find it out of stock the next day, still waiting like everyone else.  Ordering quickly during one of the phantom "in stock" apparitions is unlikely to produce a scope any sooner.  

• eros312, MarkGregory and BFaucett like this

#10 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:14 PM

I'll be using my new 130 primarily for visual at first especially since my mount is lacking. Once I upgrade the mount I can see myself taking a casual interest in AP with my DSLR. If there's any such thing as casual AP. Here in southwest Florida we're in the middle of the rainy season so it'll be a challenge just getting out for first light. But it will look good sitting in my living room .

• Rollo and makeitso like this

#11 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:17 PM

The AT72EDII hasn't been in stock even when it showed to be in stock since about Feb.  I ordered then when it was "in stock" only to find it out of stock the next day, still waiting like everyone else.  Ordering quickly during one of the phantom "in stock" apparitions is unlikely to produce a scope any sooner.  

Hmmmm, very interesting. Did you actually pay for it? I did. 

#12 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

I've been waiting for an Astro Tech red dot finder since January..

Darn that Covid 19!

#13 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:09 PM

I didn't ask about red dot finders. I did ask about AT130, focal reducer for the 130 and diagonals. I'm sure they're expecting a lot of Astro Tech stuff. They said they had all hands on deck to unpack, ship and stock their shelves over the weekend. Truck didn't come. It's expected today or tomorrow. 

• BFaucett likes this

#14 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:05 PM

Hmmmm, very interesting. Did you actually pay for it? I did. 

I am not sure what you mean.  The order was placed, but they haven't charged my card because it hasn't shipped.  That has been the standard way things have worked when they have had to wait for stock.

• BFaucett likes this

#15 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:33 PM

I didn't ask about red dot finders. I did ask about AT130, focal reducer for the 130 and diagonals. I'm sure they're expecting a lot of Astro Tech stuff. They said they had all hands on deck to unpack, ship and stock their shelves over the weekend. Truck didn't come. It's expected today or tomorrow. 

Good to know that Astronomics is getting closer to shipping. Thanks for that info. I've been trying to patiently wait on my new AT72EDII that I ordered on May 1. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas day to arrive. lol.gif   

The email newsletter from Astronomics dated May 20, 2020 stated, "So now on to the items that are currently on a ship and making their journey to us. If all goes well I should be able to ship product around June 7th.The newsletter stated that the shipment contained the AT72EDII, AT80ED, AT80EDT, AT115EDT, AT130EDT, and AT152EDT scopes.

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

Edited by BFaucett, 06 July 2020 - 11:37 PM.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#16 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:16 AM

Bob, that May email was actually confusing to me because it mixed talk about current stock with new shipments.  When it came to the expected shipment the wording was "We will also have a shipment of AT60EDs and the AT92s arriving with the new AT102EDLs."

The final correspondence I had when I asked about all of this came from Pete on June 9 that they were expecting the 72ED's to clear customs (and possibly begin to ship?) in the "next 7-10 days."  Unfortunately, Pete passed away the very next day, and I have not wanted to bother the mourning Astronomics folks about the shipments as they try to adjust.  It is afterall just a scope, but Pete was irreplaceable and will be missed.

Anyway, I appreciate Astronomics; I recognize this is simultaneously a sad and COVID-crazy time, and I am just waiting until these ship.

#17 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:46 AM

I am not sure what you mean.  The order was placed, but they haven't charged my card because it hasn't shipped.  That has been the standard way things have worked when they have had to wait for stock.

Well, when I ordered mine the ad said it was in stock. I filled out the paperwork and received a notice saying my money was received and I received an e-mailed order number. When I called Astronomics to ask a question I learned that the scope was in fact at customs and they expected to receive their shipment from Customs any day now. They would turn around and ship me my scope as soon as they got it in their hands. They had already made the shipping label. Now, having said that, in the past I one time tribe to order the scope when the ad said, “more on the way.” My order was not accepted. Therefore, I am making the following assumptions, which of course may be wrong:

1. If the ad says more on the way, you can’t pre-order.

2. If the ad says in stock, then you must pay immediately to actually have one listed as sold and in your name.

3. If the ad says in stock and you don’t pay, you can’t pre-order it and no scope will be held for you.

4. They get in a very small number of scopes and it is first come first served.

end

#18 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:21 AM

Well, when I ordered mine the ad said it was in stock. I filled out the paperwork and received a notice saying my money was received and I received an e-mailed order number. When I called Astronomics to ask a question I learned that the scope was in fact at customs and they expected to receive their shipment from Customs any day now. They would turn around and ship me my scope as soon as they got it in their hands. They had already made the shipping label. Now, having said that, in the past I one time tribe to order the scope when the ad said, “more on the way.” My order was not accepted. Therefore, I am making the following assumptions, which of course may be wrong:

1. If the ad says more on the way, you can’t pre-order.

2. If the ad says in stock, then you must pay immediately to actually have one listed as sold and in your name.

3. If the ad says in stock and you don’t pay, you can’t pre-order it and no scope will be held for you.

4. They get in a very small number of scopes and it is first come first served.

end

p.s. One more thing. It appears Astronomics is taking paid orders if the scope is in customs. That is even if the ad says, ‘in stock.” We may not agree with this procedure, but that is what happened to me. In stock meant at customs and on the way. Supposedly any day now.

Edited by MarkGregory, 07 July 2020 - 04:21 AM.

#19 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:31 AM

Mark,

Ok.  I haven't done paper forms for this sort of thing in many years, so I am not sure how that sort of transaction goes anymore.  I have mostly done online with CC.  Generally, vendors hold off charging until an item ships as that keeps them in the good graces of the credit card company and customers.   This can be a problem if you get a bad charge/charges elsewhere in the meantime, and are issued a new card...all-too-common over the past 10 years, this probably happens to us about once every 1 to 2 years on some account and is quickly flagged.

The web-site info (or possibly something specific to browser cache) is not always in-sync from what I have seen.  This is true of some websites after normal business hours (for the stores) in particular, not necessarily Astronomics, just an observation.  I swear that at some sites I have sometimes seen items show as in-stock during the night, and out-of-stock during the day, repeatedly.  Calls during business hours to some websites always show the items to be out of stock.  For months a Google search for the AT72EDII has shown it as "in-stock" in the summary, before clicking the link that shows "more on the way" even though I have done browser cache purges.  There are a lot of vastly different web sites and items that show one availability or price in the Google summary list, and something totally different in the link so checking during business hours is advisable.

The AT scopes come in en masse in shipments from what I have gathered, but I don't know that all types arrive at the same time (and the manufacturers may differ depending on the model for all I know and therefore arrive separately.)  I don't think there are any small interim shipments happening, but that is only my impression based on what I have been told.  I would expect they prepare shipping labels and such in advance to accelerate a time consuming process of filling/shipping back orders when the physical shipment arrives. 

There are going to be some orders that go in queue before the availability goes to zero.  That is where I think mine was, because I was shocked when it showed up out of stock the next day.  I had been watching it and finally decided to pull the trigger.  I blamed myself for recommending the scope to others, while holding off actually ordering one because I didn't necessarily "need" it.  

They also take some pre-orders, but I don't want to speculate on the criteria since it likely varies based on history with the product/maker/model.  

• MarkGregory and BFaucett like this

#20 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:35 AM

Mark,

Ok.  I haven't done paper forms for this sort of thing in many years, so I am not sure how that sort of transaction goes anymore.  I have mostly done online with CC.  Generally, vendors hold off charging until an item ships as that keeps them in the good graces of the credit card company and customers.   This can be a problem if you get a bad charge/charges elsewhere in the meantime, and are issued a new card...all-too-common over the past 10 years, this probably happens to us about once every 1 to 2 years on some account and is quickly flagged.

The web-site info (or possibly something specific to browser cache) is not always in-sync from what I have seen.  This is true of some websites after normal business hours (for the stores) in particular, not necessarily Astronomics, just an observation.  I swear that at some sites I have sometimes seen items show as in-stock during the night, and out-of-stock during the day, repeatedly.  Calls during business hours to some websites always show the items to be out of stock.  For months a Google search for the AT72EDII has shown it as "in-stock" in the summary, before clicking the link that shows "more on the way" even though I have done browser cache purges.  There are a lot of vastly different web sites and items that show one availability or price in the Google summary list, and something totally different in the link so checking during business hours is advisable.

The AT scopes come in en masse in shipments from what I have gathered, but I don't know that all types arrive at the same time (and the manufacturers may differ depending on the model for all I know and therefore arrive separately.)  I don't think there are any small interim shipments happening, but that is only my impression based on what I have been told.  I would expect they prepare shipping labels and such in advance to accelerate a time consuming process of filling/shipping back orders when the physical shipment arrives. 

There are going to be some orders that go in queue before the availability goes to zero.  That is where I think mine was, because I was shocked when it showed up out of stock the next day.  I had been watching it and finally decided to pull the trigger.  I blamed myself for recommending the scope to others, while holding off actually ordering one because I didn't necessarily "need" it.  

They also take some pre-orders, but I don't want to speculate on the criteria since it likely varies based on history with the product/maker/model.  

Well, this whole thread has raised valid issues, observations, and concerns. Now, I wonder what the status is of the scope that I am expecting any day now. Seems to me that Astronomics should clarify the situation so we all know what’s going on. In that regard, I e-mailed the Moderator and asked that he contact Mike at Astronomics and request clarification on all of our concerns.  Have a great day and stay safe from the C virus. Mark

• BFaucett likes this

#21 2696

Messenger

• Loc: New York

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

Not sure if this clears anything up but, I just put in my order for the AT72 and it still says "more on the way" but everything went through and money was taken out of my bank.
  • MarkGregory and BFaucett like this

#22 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

Not sure if this clears anything up but, I just put in my order for the AT72 and it still says "more on the way" but everything went through and money was taken out of my bank.

Very interesting. I think we still need Mike from Astro-Tech/Astronomics to clear this up. Mark

#23 BravoFoxtrot

BravoFoxtrot

Mariner 2

• Loc: Palmer Divide, Colorado

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:22 AM

I've been waiting for an Astro Tech red dot finder since January..

Darn that Covid 19!

Ha!  Yep!  I've been waiting since September 2019 for mine.  

Edited by BravoFoxtrot, 07 July 2020 - 09:23 AM.

#24 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:30 AM

First of all I've had exactly the same thing happen to me with two other vendors (one each on either coast). The way to figure out what's going on is to make a phone call. That's what I did in both cases when I was charged for things that didn't ship or weren't in stock. Finally, it's important to check and see what exactly the terms are for what you ordered. I've noticed that some things require payment in advance no matter what the order status is. So, if you think that you should not have been charged, give the vendor a call to see what's what. 

Rgrds-Ross

• MarkGregory and The Luckster like this

#25 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:19 AM

When I ordered an AT102EDL back in early June I received what I would call an order confirmation which included an order number. Hasn't been charged to my card yet of course.

• MarkGregory likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics