•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is waiting on a new Astro Tech to arrive?

• Please log in to reply
676 replies to this topic

#601 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for sharing that Noobulsity. One of the things I liked about the 72. It's got two tube rings. Looks like you'll have to invest in a set of rings also. Maybe somebody  should alert Mike B. about the situation. Definitely would be a problem if used as an autoguider. 

#602 SuperSirLink

SuperSirLink

Mariner 2

• Loc: Shenandoah Valley, Va.

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:41 PM

Here's a quick video I took showing how loose the AT60ED focuser is in the clamshell ring on the L-bracket.

https://youtu.be/xfyQxBUPGok

Wow, my is not loose like that... I would definitely inquire about it...

#603 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Viking 1

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for sharing that Noobulsity. One of the things I liked about the 72. It's got two tube rings. Looks like you'll have to invest in a set of rings also. Maybe somebody  should alert Mike B. about the situation. Definitely would be a problem if used as an autoguider. 

That's probably not a bad thing to do. I'm sure he'd want to know if there's a problem in a batch of scopes. I already have a pair of rings on order, I don't know I'd trust a single point of contact for steady guiding anyway.

Wow, my is not loose like that... I would definitely inquire about it...

Want what I expected, but I guess it wasn't surprising considering these are really inexpensive scopes for the quality. I was concerned even before I ordered. But worth mentioning, I think.

#604 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

I took a rather poor moon image tonight as it was setting with the AT80EDT. Views through the scope was *much* better than this image shows and I probably wrecked the image even more since I edited the jpeg. Thought I would share. Didn't see any color but visually the moon was impressive! smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201119084713_4T3A1881-01.jpeg

• BruceNewEngland likes this

#605 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:57 PM

That's probably not a bad thing to do. I'm sure he'd want to know if there's a problem in a batch of scopes. I already have a pair of rings on order, I don't know I'd trust a single point of contact for steady guiding anyway.

Want what I expected, but I guess it wasn't surprising considering these are really inexpensive scopes for the quality. I was concerned even before I ordered. But worth mentioning, I think.

I watched the video and you should definitely let Astronomics know. Something is clearly not right. I know other people that are imaging with a AT60ED, and the clamp should not be that loose.

#606 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:01 PM

Is anyone using or planning to use their AT scope for imaging? I'm curious on the flattener / reducer spacing. I'm thinking I might need a shim or something

I'm using the 72ED for imaging with a small sensor camera, but the reducer I am using is not an AT model.  

• wxcloud likes this

#607 byang

byang

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:51 PM

Here's a quick video I took showing how loose the AT60ED focuser is in the clamshell ring on the L-bracket.

https://youtu.be/xfyQxBUPGok

Would adding a layer of felt with adhesive backing to the inside of the ring help? 

#608 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:00 AM

Would adding a layer of felt with adhesive backing to the inside of the ring help? 

That's just more compressible material to move around.  Probably not, I imagine.

#609 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:47 AM

The ring on my AT60ED is very tight. I had asked if it worked well, and folks said it did. So I bought it and have had zero problems with the ring. Something must not be right for it to be loose.

#610 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:47 PM

Back in the remote past (spring) I ordered this tiny telescope as a birthday present for myself. It arrived one week ago, just a few short months late for my birthday, along with a flattener and a few other accessories. 

This silly-looking, relatively inexpensive thing is a 60mm f/6 ED doublet refractor. I’ve had only one chance so far to try it on the stars, testing it at 102x, a fairly high power for a scope this small. It seems fine, if a bit mystifying. Star images were tight and sharp once the scope cooled down. Vega and Altair showed no chromatic aberration, so I guess that ED glass works. Mars showed a small but very sharp disk with some dark detail visible and a suggestion of the small polar cap, sometimes appearing as a star on the limb. Epsilon Lyrae, the Double Double, resolved fairly well, and it’s close to the resolution limit of this aperture.

The mystifying part was the star test. Inside of focus, the diffraction rings were very sharp and well defined, with a bright outer ring. Outside was just a blur though, with no discernible rings, but a brightening about halfway between the center and the blurry edge. Normally I would think this indicates severe undercorrection, but given that the scope works as well as I’d expect, I’m not so sure. I think this behavior may be typical of ED doublets. 

The telescope arrived in pristine condition, except for the white dust on the objective which comes from the white felt lining the lens cap, as others have noted. It blew right off. Mechanically I have no complaints. The scope does not rock in the mounting ring at all. The focuser is smooth and solid. The lack of any baffling in the tube surprised me a bit. It really is an impressive little scope for the money. 

I sure don’t need a 60mm scope to look through, so why did I buy it? Imaging. With a short focal length of 360mm, it has a much wider field of view than my other scopes, allowing me to encompass big objects which don’t fit well in the field of my other scopes. My real ambition is to someday carry it and a tiny mount to New Zealand, so I can image all the wonders available down there.

Attached Thumbnails

• C08C2769-6ADD-457B-A11B-9F797FAE6AC3.jpeg

• plyscope, eros312, BFaucett and 4 others like this

#611 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:47 PM

I took the AT152EDT outside for a quick look.  The sky was ok for about 30 to 40 minutes then it started to get worse.  I used a Stellarvue Diagonal I got years ago.  The few eyepieces used were 25 and 15 Pans, 12.5 and 9 orthros.  This gave me 135 to 50 power. 

I will need a better night of seeing. The moon looked very sharp and at power above 50 sharpness would come and go.  I only looked at Saturn, Jupiter and the moon.  I tried M31 but it was washed out with the sky.

I did not see any false color on the moon or any other objects.  One thing last night if anyone looked at Jupiter I did notice one of it's moons near the edge of the planet. (unless it was a star) Before I took the scope down I looked again and it had some space in between the planet.

Now for the scope.  I love the look. The glass was clean from dust.  After moving the dew shield out and back in I did see specks on the lens.  Like another person mentioned it came from the felt from the dew shield.  I blew off the lens with a camera lens blower.  Then cleaned the rest off the dew shield.   

It is very nose heavy.  Before mounting on my G11, I went to move the rings towards the lens but the dew shield hits the dovetail. I am looking for a way to raise the rings up a little so I won't have to make this adjustment each time I mount the scope.  I may make a spacer from some aluminum I have.

The focuser was very smooth and I liked the twist lock to hold the diagonal.  When I get a chance I will take some photos of it mounted.  I can't wait to take it out to a dark site and a steady sky. 

I have wanted a 6" refractor for many years.  I am glad I got off the fence.

Happy retirement gift to myself.  I will keep it until I am not able to mount it.

• ratskrad, eros312, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#612 BruceNewEngland

BruceNewEngland

Explorer 1

• Loc: New England, USA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:08 PM

Morning all,

Im very happy for all y'all that received your AT scopes and have much enjoyed reading the reports and details on them, but some of us are still waiting.. That said, whos waiting on their 102's ED or EDL? My stellarvue MC2 mount arrives next week and I already have my Nexus encoder kit waiting to be installed, but from what I understand it may well be into 2021 before we see any 102's. Sure hope it will be worth the waIt ( from the reviews, Im sure it will be). When they finally arrive, it will be our time to post up some setup photos, kit reviews, and first light reports... 

Patiently waiting ( all the while enjoying my DOB)

Brian

Hi Brian,

I ordered an AT102EDL back in September, getting eager for it’s arrival, but some here ordered many months earlier...

Like you, I ordered the Stellarvue MC2 and Nexus. The Nexus arrived weeks ago, the MC2 was delayed as the local company Stellarvue used for engraving went under, so they had to tool up to do it in house. Tracking says it’ll be here early next week.

Sure would be nice to hear that the 102s are on there way...

Best,

Bruce.

Edited by BruceNewEngland, 20 November 2020 - 08:09 PM.

• bthrel likes this

#613 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:07 PM

Thinking on canceling my order for the at102ed and instead get the at115edt. Reason being is that I picked up a at80ed and got it mounted to use as a grab & go. Really liking it so far. Having got the at80ed, thinking it would be better to do a bigger jump aperture-wise. Got a lx70 mount to put a at115edt on, Haven't decided yet.

What say y'all?

• BRCoz likes this

#614 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Viking 1

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:33 AM

The AT115EDT is also a triplet, which might provide a little sharper views and better color correction, too.  But, you're also talking an extra 1/2-inch of aperture for more than double the price tag.  So, it's up to you if you feel that's worth it.  It might be, but you could also use that extra money to get eyepieces, cameras, whatever else you might need to go with it.  Depends how serious you are about the extra aperture and color correction of your scope vs cost.

#615 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:46 AM

I keep going back and forth; stick with the plan (at102ed) or go with a larger scope since I've got a g&g set up. Like you posted, more than double the cost of the at102ed which is causing me pause. Not sure if the gain would really be worth it to me.

#616 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:55 AM

I keep going back and forth; stick with the plan (at102ed) or go with a larger scope since I've got a g&g set up. Like you posted, more than double the cost of the at102ed which is causing me pause. Not sure if the gain would really be worth it to me.

If you are going to do imaging, I suspect you will notice the better colour correction in the 115EDT triplet  vs the 102ED. If you are not interested in imaging, you could also consider the 102EDL which should be a step up from the 102ED in colour correction.

#617 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:14 PM

Well, I placed my order today for an AT60ED. It was listed as "in stock" on the website so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Now the waiting game begins again. grin.gif

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

• eros312, brentknight, NYJohn S and 2 others like this

#618 jgbeall

jgbeall

Explorer 1

• Loc: 34.4N 118.5W

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:52 PM

Finally have my AT72ED2 set for viewing...if only the skies will obey comply help out!!! lol.gif

AT72ED2.JPG

• BRCoz, eros312, BFaucett and 4 others like this

#619 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:13 PM

Has anyone cut out their included case a bit more? It's very snug and I was thinking of taking a little off the parameter, but not sure what to use

#620 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

In the gallery section of Sky & Tele January 2021 is an image of the "Flying Dragon" Sharpless 2-114 taken with an AT115EDT. Nice accolade for Astronomics and Astro-Tech scopes.

• BRCoz, BFaucett and Noobulosity like this

#621 bthrel

bthrel

Vostok 1

• Loc: Linden TN

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:56 PM

Picture of the mount waiting on the AT102ED...Hope its not lonely too much longer.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201122_204428 (1).jpg

• BFaucett, NYJohn S and BruceNewEngland like this

#622 Ps191

Ps191

Mariner 2

• Loc: E. OR

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:21 PM

Have you considered the 125EDL? Yes it cost quite a bit more then the 102ed, but then it's larger and would nicely compliment and have less overlap to your current AT80mm ED.

Thinking on canceling my order for the at102ed and instead get the at115edt. Reason being is that I picked up a at80ed and got it mounted to use as a grab & go. Really liking it so far. Having got the at80ed, thinking it would be better to do a bigger jump aperture-wise. Got a lx70 mount to put a at115edt on, Haven't decided yet.
What say y'all?

#623 BruceNewEngland

BruceNewEngland

Explorer 1

• Loc: New England, USA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:10 AM

Picture of the mount waiting on the AT102ED...Hope its not lonely too much longer.

Hey Brian,

I see that you received an M2C mount with the new “in house” engraving. I wish it was on the main case instead of the lid that gets replaced with the Astrodevices cover when the encoders are installed - I really like it.

While waiting for the AT102, I looked at a lot of tripods and mounts, deciding on the M2C, and for now just using a 2” steel CG5 tripod, and maybe replacing it with a nice wooden one later.

I don’t recognize the tripod that you’ll be using. Do you think it will be robust enough?

You can find used CG5 tripods for $150 or less. Adding the $79 column from Stellarvue Paired with your M2C should make for a reasonably solid setup for the AT102, in fact it’s one of the packages offered by Stellarvue.

Bruce.

#624 bthrel

bthrel

Vostok 1

• Loc: Linden TN

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

Hey Bruce,

I too wish I didnt have to remove the logo plate.. The tripod is a Gitzo G1327 Carbon Fiber Tripod rated up to 25 lbs payload. I used to do wedding photography and some telephoto nature photography and used some very heavy  Nikon glass on it with a pan head, was very steady. Im hoping since the AT102ED is approx 10lbs, add M2C at 4, and a eyepiece I should be well under the 25 and steady. It handles my Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe Binoculars mounted on a Farpoint parallelogram very well and stable. Will give it a chance and adapt if necessary.

Cheers

Brian

• BruceNewEngland likes this

#625 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:50 AM

What say y'all?

I think you'll find there's quite a difference in the the light grasp and the detail that can be resolved with the 102 vs the 80. I have both and I'm always surprised by that. So much so the 80 rarely get used anymore. I have the 102 on a Porta II with an upgraded tripod. It's a grab-n-go on that mount. I think that's probably as big as you can go without going to a heavier mount. 

• BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics