•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is waiting on a new Astro Tech to arrive?

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#51 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:59 AM

I'd like to see the 152 on a CGEM. Maybe you could post a shot after you receive it.

#52 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:18 PM

I ordered an AT152EDT and got the shipping notice earlier today and a delivery date for this Sunday. Ordered the .72 reducer / field flattener as well. Going to be putting it on my Celestron CGEM DX kind of replacing my ES127ED that has been very good scope but as is the case I have been wanting more aperture. Going to be doing visual for a little while but will be adding AP to the mix as that was the main use of the ES127ED. All of you who were able to buy scopes this go round, have fun and enjoy them. 

Wow, an AT152. HUGE. Can't wait to see a photo of it. Good luck with your new scope. Mark

#53 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

Update, received notice my AT72EDll is on its way. Happy man! I will attach a photo next week after I set it up. For now, hope you all have a great weekend. And, thanks Mike, Ken, and Jandi at Astronomics. Mark

• Bomber Bob, BFaucett, makeitso and 2 others like this

#54 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:39 PM

I also received notice today that my AT72EDll is on its way (via FedEx).  snoopy2.gif I feel like a kid waiting on Santa Claus! 

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

• Jon Isaacs, MarkGregory, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#55 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:50 PM

hier 

I’ve seen Astro tech mentioned quite a lot amongst the forums 

is it Astronomics own brand of scope just wondering from the outside thay look similer to Altair Astro or perhaps similer to skywatcher in optical performance.

• MarkGregory likes this

#56 Arcamigo

Arcamigo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gaston, Oregon, United States

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:02 PM

is it Astronomics own brand of scope just wondering from the outside thay look similer to Altair Astro or perhaps similer to skywatcher in optical performance.

Astrotech is Astronomics' house brand. I believe some scopes are assembled to Astronomics' specifications, while others appear identical to other vendor's scopes, like the Ritchey-Chrétien's. I can't find a significant difference between Astronomics' RCs and Orion's RCs. I believe the same is true with Orion and Skywatcher, for example, with the 190mm Maksutov-Newtonian. On the other hand, I think the AT102EDL might be unique to Astronomics. I believe they are all built at the same facilities in China and Taiwan.

#57 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:29 PM

4.gif No email for me... I guess they're not to the 130s yet. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow fingertap.gif

#58 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

Its a great scope. I posted a picture of mine some time ago on my Mach1.

Wow, an AT152. HUGE. Can't wait to see a photo of it. Good luck with your new scope. Mark

• MarkGregory likes this

#59 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:53 PM

I ordered a AT80ED. Astronomics stated in yesterday's email they had a limited number of the AT80EDT scopes, and I was considering it also. So yesterday evening I was trying to decide between the two, and when I checked back on the website, the 80mm triplets were already gone, lol. So I went with the ED.

• Bomber Bob and BFaucett like this

#60 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Mariner 2

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

4.gif No email for me... I guess they're not to the 130s yet. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow fingertap.gif

Uhm ... you may want to take a closer look at the email from Mike yesterday, announcing the arrival of the container and its contents.  It doesn't mention any 130's being with this shipment, but does indicate they will be on the next one in late October.  Maybe I missed it, so take a look and see how you read it.  Hope I'm wrong.

#61 Arcamigo

Arcamigo

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:16 PM

Uhm ... you may want to take a closer look at the email from Mike yesterday, announcing the arrival of the container and its contents.  It doesn't mention any 130's being with this shipment, but does indicate they will be on the next one in late October.  Maybe I missed it, so take a look and see how you read it.  Hope I'm wrong.

That email says, "Late October brings the next shipment of AT80EDT, AT115EDT, AT130EDT, AT152EDT, AT80ED, AT72EDII, AT60ED, ATRF60, and ATRF72." I'm fairly certain the reason there was no mention of the 130's in the upper part of the email is because there aren't any available for purchase in the current shipment. I got the last one available on this shipment.

#62 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

I am actually commenting on your Stephen Hawking quote in your byline. I found it very interesting. Glad you posted it. Mark

#63 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

I re-read the email. I thought it simply meant that there would be no AT130EDT scopes available to order again until a new shipment in October. It says October brings the next shipment of 7 different scopes including the AT130. My take was the scopes they currently had available were extra scopes they had for immediate sale. They requested full payment three weeks ago when they cleared customs. I assumed that meant they knew they were in the shipment. Am I wrong about this? I will call to find out. Don't know if they're open on Saturdays. 

I agree with Arcamigo. 

Also, he said the bad news was AT2FF, ATR8 and ATUP are notion this shipment. Surely this statement would have included AT130EDT if they were not in the shipment. I'll bet they have 12 to 15 orders or more for the 130.

Edited by mikeinlehigh, 10 July 2020 - 07:37 PM.

#64 Arcamigo

Arcamigo

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:37 PM

I assumed that meant they knew they were in the shipment. Am I wrong about this?

What I posted earlier came directly from Mike. The current shipment has 130s for the people that already ordered them. He ordered a few extras along with the initial order and they got scooped up by people like me. The only way someone can get a 130 now is if someone who placed an order cancels it. That's probably unlikely after reading all these posts.

#65 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:41 PM

Oh thank you for that Arcamigo! What are you trying to do Pat? Give me a heart attack? Geez man you scared me to death smile.gif.

OK I won't call tomorrow. I'll  patiently wait like everyone else. Well, not patiently but I don't want to pester them as I'm sure they're working hard to get these scopes out. 

Edited by mikeinlehigh, 10 July 2020 - 07:45 PM.

• MarkGregory likes this

#66 Arcamigo

Arcamigo

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

I am actually commenting on your Stephen Hawking quote in your byline. I found it very interesting. Glad you posted it. Mark

I read that quote and reread it several times. Not sure where I stand on belief, but I know that seeing Stephen Hawking 'speak' live was one of the highlights of my life.

k_010.jpg

• Phil Cowell and MarkGregory like this

#67 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:04 PM

How good is it for visual? As good as a TEC 140? 

Edited by Heywood, 10 July 2020 - 10:45 PM.

#68 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:31 PM

Got the email today. Scope and FF/ FR will be shipped via FedEx Monday. Whoever Jandi Bieler is, she is my new favorite person bounce.gif

• Agatha and BFaucett like this

#69 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:32 PM

Mike's wife, daughter, sister, mom or...?

#70 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Mariner 2

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:36 PM

Got the email today. Scope and FF/ FR will be shipped via FedEx Monday. Whoever Jandi Bieler is, she is my new favorite person bounce.gif

It would appear that I misread the email.  And I'm glad for that.  I hope you and your 130 have a very long relationship.  What mount will you be placing it on?

#71 mostvisited

mostvisited

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:38 PM

I am also in line for a AT 130 and corresponding FFR.  Ordered first week of June. Hopefully my turn would come next week and it gets shipped :-) 

#72 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:24 PM

I hope we will have a good and long relationship. After a lifetime of scopes and imaging, both planetary and DSO, I'm ready to settle down as a regular visual guy. Maybe I'll put the DSLR on for a moon pic once in a while or really get bold and get M42. I think this 130 will be the perfect scope to settle on. Big enough to grasp some appreciable light but small enough to carry around and mount. I'm only an hour away from Big Cypress National Preserve in the Everglades which is an International Dark Sky area. It should be easy enough to haul down there a time or two a month during new moon. It will start off on a well maintained Celestron ASGT. Don't any of you cringe. I have a new CGEM2 on my radar. The 130 is lighter and shorter than the scope now mounted on the ASGT, a 130mm F8 achromat. Believe it or not I used to have a 150mm F8 achro on it smile.gif. Seems to slew with no problem, goto puts objects in the eyepiece and has a minimum amount of vibration at reasonable magnification. I'm sure Mike B will appreciate the sale of a new CGEM2 though. 

Edit: most use will be in my backyard. The Everglades trip is just once a month or so to observe with my local club the Everglades Astronomical Society. But covid has put the kibosh on the club gatherings for a while. We're talking about social distancing our scopes. Problem is there's always people who want to look through your scope and how can you resist that?

Edited by mikeinlehigh, 11 July 2020 - 05:30 PM.

• MarkGregory and BFaucett like this

#73 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

I hope we will have a good and long relationship. After a lifetime of scopes and imaging, both planetary and DSO, I'm ready to settle down as a regular visual guy. Maybe I'll put the DSLR on for a moon pic once in a while or really get bold and get M42. I think this 130 will be the perfect scope to settle on. Big enough to grasp some appreciable light but small enough to carry around and mount. I'm only an hour away from Big Cypress National Preserve in the Everglades which is an International Dark Sky area. It should be easy enough to haul down there a time or two a month during new moon. It will start off on a well maintained Celestron ASGT. Don't any of you cringe. I have a new CGEM2 on my radar. The 130 is lighter and shorter than the scope now mounted on the ASGT, a 130mm F8 achromat. Believe it or not I used to have a 150mm F8 achro on it smile.gif. Seems to slew with no problem, goto puts objects in the eyepiece and has a minimum amount of vibration at reasonable magnification. I'm sure Mike B will appreciate the sale of a new CGEM2 though. 

Edit: most use will be in my backyard. The Everglades trip is just once a month or so to observe with my local club the Everglades Astronomical Society. But covid has put the kibosh on the club gatherings for a while. We're talking about social distancing our scopes. Problem is there's always people who want to look through your scope and how can you resist that?

Hi Mike. Curious. I assume you live in Lehigh Acres, east of Fort Myers. For many years I lived in Naples and worked in Fort Myers. Now in NC. I used to visit to swamp off Alligator Alley with the Naples Astronomy club. Skies were as dark as can be. But I also remember the mosquitos and humidity. Almost unbearable. Anyway, enjoyed reading your post. Mark

#74 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

At last check, a few minutes ago, the Astronomics website listed the AT130 in stock at $1899 and the AT152 in stock at $3599.  Yes, you read that right.

Tempting, tempting....

Heywood

Edited by Heywood, 11 July 2020 - 06:50 PM.

#75 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:52 PM

You are correct Mark in my local. For several years we observed in the Fakahatchee Strand between the quarry lakes. There were no mosquitoes even in the summer because believe it or not, they can't land on water. We setup in on a very narrow piece of land between the lakes. They built q city called Ava Maria not to far away and decided to light I75. So the dark skies disappeared there. Now that we go to the Big Cypress it's best to only go in the winter. Temperatures stay in the seventies, humidity is low and mosquitoes are gone. Moderators, sorry for going off subject. It was Mark's fault smile.gif

• MarkGregory likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics