•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is waiting on a new Astro Tech to arrive?

• Please log in to reply
1270 replies to this topic

#1051 GSBass

GSBass

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

Off Topic random thought, I wonder why I have never seen a double barrel scope, Seems like I share the opinion often that everyone should own a big mak and a small refractor to have the best of both worlds.... subtracting out the light buckets because that a different segment in my mind...but anyway... never seen one but might be a pretty cool

#1052 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:50 PM

Off Topic random thought, I wonder why I have never seen a double barrel scope, Seems like I share the opinion often that everyone should own a big mak and a small refractor to have the best of both worlds.... subtracting out the light buckets because that a different segment in my mind...but anyway... never seen one but might be a pretty cool

You mean a binoscope, or high power binocular?

#1053 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:53 PM

Just talked to Astronomics.  The AT60s are on dry land and awaiting to be released from Customs.  But customs, like everything else, is backed up, so that's what the hold up is.  There's still more AT scopes that haven't docked yet.

So, in the meantime, I'm going to watch the classifieds like a hawk, because that looks like the only option for getting an AT60ED for this month's imaging window.  It's frustrating, because I have an AT115EDT I can't even use because I need a replacement set of rings...which apparently is also on the same shipment as the AT60ED's.  If I could find a set of replacement AT115EDT rings, I wouldn't be in such a jam.

Clear Skies,

Phil

Phillip,

What happened to you AT 115EDT rings?

Edited by rkaufmann87, 07 April 2021 - 05:54 PM.

#1054 McGarnicle

McGarnicle

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

I was told the same, back on March 11th.  I'm going to give up on the AT60 and ask for a refund, if they don't ship by around the first week of May.  My CC was charged on March 12, and already paid it off to avoid interest charges.  I don't have any faith in customs.  Are they honest, I don't know?

You’ve waited this long, I’d just be patient. Get something else in the meantime if you want (but what decent scope could you get before May anyway?), then evaluate which one you want to keep. Once the 60’s are out of stock again until July, you could sell it for the same price. 

#1055 Chris K

Chris K

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

It's a little known fact that the phrase, "like a kid waiting for Christmas morning" actually originated in amateur astronomy.

Somewhere in a lonely crate sits my 72mm.

• dagadget and GSBass like this

#1056 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

Phillip,

What happened to you AT 115EDT rings?

The pin on one of the hinges broke. I had the scope off, as after imaging, I leave the rings attached to the dovetail bar and leave that assembly attached to the mount while I put the scope away in a makeshift case.

I'm out of commission as far as scopes are concerned until I either get an AT60ED or the replacement set of rings.

Clear Skies,
Phil

#1057 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:16 PM

The pin on one of the hinges broke. I had the scope off, as after imaging, I leave the rings attached to the dovetail bar and leave that assembly attached to the mount while I put the scope away in a makeshift case.

I'm out of commission as far as scopes are concerned until I either get an AT60ED or the replacement set of rings.

Clear Skies,
Phil

That is an easy fix, with the appropriate sized nail, and simple tools.  Could just duct tape it to the ring, in an emergency.

• blakestree likes this

#1058 GSBass

GSBass

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

I would think a local machine shop would put a pin in it for you in just a few minutes, maybe not but I think I would try it if I didn’t want to wait

Clear Skies,
Phil

#1059 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:28 AM

Dumb question maybe, but this is coming from someone who's never bought something imported--if something from TS Optics is listed as in stock and ready to ship, would you have the same customs delays on that individual item that Astronomics is having right now on its bulk shipments?

Clear Skies,

Phil

#1060 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

Phillip, I would think not.   These delays are for customs inspections of containers.   Their is a huge backup right now on container shipments.  A single scope package would not be affected in the same way.

• zjc26138 and eros312 like this

#1061 Chris K

Chris K

Ranger 4

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

Dumb question maybe, but this is coming from someone who's never bought something imported--if something from TS Optics is listed as in stock and ready to ship, would you have the same customs delays on that individual item that Astronomics is having right now on its bulk shipments?

Clear Skies,

Phil

Probably not. Yours would come from Europe and come via air to an airport either near your city or in your region. Unless that customs office was just as overwhelmed you’d be fine. I doubt it would be because the goods from China are container loads going to distributors or retailers. Yours is a parcel going from retailer to customer. 

#1062 GSBass

GSBass

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, I think the longest I’ve been in customs on a personal order was a little over a week, normally it’s 2-3 days..... my biggest delays during covid have been the post office, they literally had a phone case I ordered sit at a distribution center for 3 weeks before it started moving again

Probably not. Yours would come from Europe and come via air to an airport either near your city or in your region. Unless that customs office was just as overwhelmed you’d be fine. I doubt it would be because the goods from China are container loads going to distributors or retailers. Yours is a parcel going from retailer to customer. 

• Chris K likes this

#1063 dagadget

dagadget

Apollo

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:32 PM

Just talked to Astronomics.  The AT60s are on dry land and awaiting to be released from Customs.  But customs, like everything else, is backed up, so that's what the hold up is.  There's still more AT scopes that haven't docked yet.

So, in the meantime, I'm going to watch the classifieds like a hawk, because that looks like the only option for getting an AT60ED for this month's imaging window.  It's frustrating, because I have an AT115EDT I can't even use because I need a replacement set of rings...which apparently is also on the same shipment as the AT60ED's.  If I could find a set of replacement AT115EDT rings, I wouldn't be in such a jam.

Clear Skies,

Phil

If memory serves that same shipment also has the AT 72EDII's on it as well.  Wish I still had the AT115 but that went to a fellow Cloudy Nights member when I got the AT 130 and the 130 went to another cloudy nights member when I got the AT 152EDT.  Now I am in the waiting room just like everyone else waiting for customs to release scopes and such to Astronomics.

CS

David

#1064 Chris K

Chris K

Ranger 4

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:05 PM

Now I am in the waiting room just like everyone else waiting for customs to release scopes and such to Astronomics.

Get the cigars ready!

• dagadget likes this

#1065 Chris K

Chris K

Ranger 4

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:02 PM

I wonder how often customs loses or impounds a shipment?

If that's possible, pray you're not in my shipment.

#1066 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:06 AM

I wonder how often customs loses or impounds a shipment?

Pretty hard to loose a container.   Impounding does take place, usually it is paperwork or fumigating that causes that. 

#1067 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:20 AM

Parties involved in arranging the shipment specify whether fumigation can be done or not.  All depends on where destination is of the shipment according to their laws and what the product is.

Right now Australia, for example, requires fumigation for shipments into their country.  This is done to prevent certain bugs from entering their country.  If fumigation can't be done then quarantine takes place for a specified time depending on the country.   Pallets for products being exported have to be heat treated to insure that their are no bugs  living in the wood. 

I go thru this all the time having to sign off on shipments to foreign countries like China, Australia, South Africa, middle east and Europe.  Everyone trying to prevent the spread of foreign critters.  Invasive species are a real threat to local environments.

• mrsjeff likes this

#1068 dagadget

dagadget

Apollo

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:57 AM

Has anyone asked this question before? When Customs releases a shipment, what carrier delivers to Astronomics after the shipment is released? That would not be a normal sized shipment that FedEx or UPS would handle I am sure. A Major freight line probably handles that. But it would be nice to know the entire life cycle for example of an AT 72EDII from being placed on order till they finally arrive at Astronomics. sort of like this. Astronomics makes the order. Factories start making the components and assembling the scopes. QA testing is done and the scopes are packaged. The Factory notifies Astronomics that the line order is completed then send the shipping information to a transport service that delivers the scopes to a port dock. it gets loaded into a Container (hopefully not on Ever Givin) loaded aboard a ship then the ship sails. It arrives at Los Angeles and is eventually offloaded (Zager and Evans "In the Year 2525" music playing lightly in the background) Customs does whatever customs does and finally in the Year 9595 releases them to Astronomics agents for shipment to Norman Ok and a lot of anxious  Customers. Once at Astronomics the great crew there inspects the shipment and send them on to us. I think it is feast or famine time most of the time there and that has to be harder on them than it is on us. Anyway continue doing a great Job Astronomics Crew.

CS

David

LOL I am waiting on two Counterweights and an AT 72EDII and the first order is from November so patience is a virtue.  

#1069 abcdefghii

abcdefghii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:28 AM

This is done to prevent certain bugs from entering their country.  If fumigation can't be done then quarantine takes place for a specified time depending on the country.   Pallets for products being exported have to be heat treated to insure that their are no bugs  living in the wood. 

I remember working in a home improvement store, maybe 20 or so years ago now, unpacking some newly delivered patio furniture and a fairly large bug of some kind being rudely disturbed by me and running off into the warehouse. No clue what it was, never saw it again, I just remember it being larger than anything I had seen before and it moving quickly. 

And, now I think I will attempt to stop reading this thread. It's not helping with my patience, each time I see a new reply I think "Oh, I wonder if it is an update on the shipment that my OTA might be on" and then I read and it's not really anything new. 

I'll be back here, later today, repeating the cycle. 

#1070 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:50 AM

UPDATE:  4/9/2021 at 11:45 AM: Astronomics expects the shipment to arrive at their facility this afternoon or Monday.  It will contain the AT60s, the AT 72's and the AT 130's.  They are ready to get them out as soon as they can unload the containers.  The containers will be delivered to their warehouse and unloaded by lift there.

• BRCoz, Phillip Creed, eros312 and 4 others like this

#1071 qswat72

qswat72

Mariner 2

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:51 AM

UPDATE: 4/9/2021 at 11:45 AM: Astronomics expects the shipment to arrive at their facility this afternoon or Monday. It will contain the AT60s, the AT 72's and the AT 130's. They are ready to get them out as soon as they can unload the containers. The containers will be delivered to their warehouse and unloaded by lift there.

This is great news! Glad the shipment finally made it out of customs.
  • duck2k likes this

#1072 duck2k

duck2k

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:50 PM

Sweeet!:)

#1073 GSBass

GSBass

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:59 PM

Ok great... now let’s switch to bitchin about the 2nd shipment haha :)

• BRCoz and dagadget like this

#1074 dagadget

dagadget

Apollo

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:50 PM

wow now this is news I really like. AT 72EDII here we come.  I hope they get them in this afternoon. 

#1075 dagadget

dagadget

Apollo

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:52 PM

UPDATE:  4/9/2021 at 11:45 AM: Astronomics expects the shipment to arrive at their facility this afternoon or Monday.  It will contain the AT60s, the AT 72's and the AT 130's.  They are ready to get them out as soon as they can unload the containers.  The containers will be delivered to their warehouse and unloaded by lift there.

I had guessed this week so I am not far off. waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics