•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is waiting on a new Astro Tech to arrive?

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#176 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:50 PM

To be perfectly honest I didn't spend a lot of time on the moon due to it's phase. It's so bright right now I would have to use my polarizing filter or an ND filter. I'll wait until a much smaller phase to make that determination. Although the short time I did have it on the moon, features we're quite clear and sharp. As far as a more expensive Apo, that's more of an opinion. I think it's as sharp as anything I've ever used and I've owned the best including fluorite models. But again, just my opinion. 

Edit: I failed to mention the planets. Taking into consideration the 910mm focal length which makes it hard to get enough magnification for an appreciable size. Using a 7mm which gets me 130X they were very sharp, clear and detailed. Jupiter had a moon approaching the limb. I watched it until it disappeared. I couldn't be happier with the performance. I'll try my 5 mm in the next couple of days. That should be a better test.

Thank you, again, for your posts.  I'm very tempted by the AT130 triplet but am leaning toward the forthcoming AT125EDL doublet. 

Edited by Heywood, 31 July 2020 - 06:35 PM.

#177 fmeschia

fmeschia

Apollo

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

I realize this thread has probably reached it's conclusion but I had to say what a great first light I had last night. The weather finally cut me some slack last night. With all the talk about FPL-53 and knowing my AT130 triplet is not made with it, I had a little fear of CA. I don't want to sound like a refractor snob, but I don't like false color. I am happy to report that my scope shows none. The first thing I did was pointed it at a couple of very bright stars and nothing but white light. The limb of the moon, no color. The planets Jupiter and Saturn, sharp and clear. I used a 10mm Ortho to check the inside and outside focus, excellent star test. I couldn't be happier or more satisfied. My thanks and appreciation goes out to Mike and Astronomics. Now, if I didn't have that old junky ASGT lol.gif

Congratulations, I was very happy to read this!

#178 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:28 PM

Love my AT130EDT too, what a bargain it was. 

Francesco, love looking at your Astrobin photos, works of art. I used to live in Mt. View myself years ago, my last Bay Area home was Santa Clara before moving up to Folsom. 

Edited by rkaufmann87, 01 August 2020 - 12:14 AM.

• fmeschia likes this

#179 fmeschia

fmeschia

Apollo

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

Love my AT130EDT too, what a bargain it was. 

Francesco, love looking at your Astrobin photos, works of art. I used to live in Mt. View myself years again, my last Bay Area home was Santa Clara before moving up to Folsom. 

Thanks Roger! I believe we both got our AT130EDT from the batch that arrived in the summer of ’16, right?

#180 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:14 AM

Yes we did, some of the earlier ones. 

#181 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Just had an opportunity pre-dawn this morning to take a peak at the Moon with my new AT72EDll. Seeing was fairly stable in a slightly  humid atmosphere. All I can say is, OUTSTANDING. The optics on this scope blow me away. Sharp and contrasty top to bottom. No false colors and nice bright images on a black background.  Craters, mountains, Maria, all just absolutely beautiful. Actually, this little guy gave me possibly the finest view of the Moon I have ever had. Of course, I attribute some of the excellent view to the TeleVue eyepieces and top notch dialectic star diagonal from Stellarvue. As you know, you need all parts to do their job for outstanding views. 

For this session I popped on several different oculars including the following TeleVue Delites - 18.2mm, 15mm, 11mm, 7mm and 5mm. I used a 40mm Plossls as my finder. With the 18.2 and 15 I felt like I needed a little more power to pull out details. Sure enough, it was the 11, 7, and 5 that produced the WOW effect. The 7 really was my sweet spot because I like a little room around the target in the eyepiece. Anyway, love the scope. Extremely well built and aesthetically beautiful. I think it is quite a steal at under $500. Mark

Edited by MarkGregory, Yesterday, 05:02 PM.

• 2696, wxcloud and Arcamigo like this

#182 wxcloud

wxcloud

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Not going to lie, I've thought about just boxing my order at times, but seems doing so would likely push the wait times even longer on something else since things are mostly backordered everywhere. So, so far just keeping the order open.

Been thinking about grabbing something else in the meantime, a cute little William optics zenith star 61 or even an explorer scientific 102 with the "premium" glass that's on sale and still available last I looked, but cost almost a grand more then the 80mm edt I got reserved ordered.

Been itching for something a little more grab and go.
  • MarkGregory likes this

#183 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 04:57 PM

Not going to lie, I've thought about just boxing my order at times, but seems doing so would likely push the wait times even longer on something else since things are mostly backordered everywhere. So, so far just keeping the order open.

Been thinking about grabbing something else in the meantime, a cute little William optics zenith star 61 or even an explorer scientific 102 with the "premium" glass that's on sale and still available last I looked, but cost almost a grand more then the 80mm edt I got reserved ordered.

Been itching for something a little more grab and go.

Just thinking out loud. This 72mm scope is the smallest aperture scope I own. I was going to buy a 60mm but talked myself out of it, because it just seemed “just a tad bit too small.” If I was going to buy a 60mm I would really want to look through one first to be sure it met my needs. Fortunately for me the Moon and planets are the only thing I am interested in. If that’s your interest as well then the 60mm William Optics sounds like fun. The 102 is really in another class altogether. Just my thoughts. Mark

#184 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 07:21 PM

Sent off an email asking about expected delivery time on the AT 102ED @ $599 US.

Expected delivery of next shipment in December 2020.

That puts me in the middle of a Canadian winter with another mid summer and entire autumn observing season without this scope.

I was planning to use my newly acquired Universal Astronomics Doublestar mount (boy what a work of art) to mount my C8 (high power) in tandem with the 4” f/7 ED (wide field). Unfortunately the wait time is too long and this scope rarely if ever shows up used in Canada. Ordered the equivalent Altair Astro Ascent 102ED f/7 (have the longer 102Ed f/11 version and have been totally impressed with the build and optics - unfortunately the momentum arm is too long for the a Doublestar Mount) from Ontario Telescopes for ~ $150 CDN savings over the AT version (taking into account $US to $CDN conversion, shipping and import taxes).

#185 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 PM

Got an email today from Astronomics showing the AT115EDT and the AT80ED in stock. Really tempted to get the 115. I'm getting a new mount for the 130 I just bought. I could put the 115 on my measly Celestron ASGT. Then I'd have two scopes to stare at until the rainy season is over. Please! Somebody else buy it before I can lol.gif.

#186 wxcloud

wxcloud

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted Yesterday, 10:15 PM

That 115 is pretty tempting! I think that is the other one I was looking at when I was browsing astronomics for my first order through them. Didn't want to go too much at once since I was unsure if I would make the cut-off and miss out on ready to ship stock.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics