•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC1396 - First Light with new Stellarvue SVX80

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ryou

Ryou

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

I recently had a chance/"excuse" to get a new Stellarvue SVX80 and have been playing around with it over the past few nights with my 183 and narrowband. Decided to try my hand at the Elephant Trunk again as it was the very "first" (technically first was M42 with a 50mm lens vs actual scope) target I really shot and it's always nice to go back and compare a then vs now type thing....

get.jpg?insecure

HOO Processing with 59x300s Ha and 64x300s O3 Unity Gain + flats/darks/bias

Overall I'm very happy with this, even though I think I removed a little bit of the detail via too aggressive early noise removal, however given my newness at processing + fully manually (vs starting from a base stretch in APP) processing in Photoshop I don't think I can complain! I am a bit tempted to crop it to 4x5 (remove some of the top) or a square, however I still feel like there is something to be said for the surrounding nebulosity too.

• elmiko, artem2 and Gipht like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:26 PM

very nice shot a bit of darkness, but very well done.thanks .

#3 Ryou

Ryou

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:39 PM

very nice shot a bit of darkness, but very well done.thanks .

Thanks! I'll agree it could maybe be a bit brighter however I was running into some gray halos around some stars, even after some reduction methods, so thought it may be best to call it. Especially as I think I have a smudge on one of the filters so may need to look at that re-take that channel.

• sunnyday likes this

#4 elmiko

elmiko

Aurora

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:25 PM

Nice image! You will eventually learn how to make the appropriate masks, either range masks or star mask to stretch the image a bit more, without affecting the stars. It comes with practice. I have been doing this for over two years and I am still learning! Very nice data!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics