•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UA Deluxe & 5.1 scope assembly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 121601

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:03 PM

Hello,  Can someone please advise me what accessory plate I need to mount the current astrophysics 5.1 f6.3 refractor to a Universal Astronomics Unistar Deluxe

alt-az mount [ universalastronomics.com/UniStarOverview.html  ] using the  AP 5.5 mounting rings?  thanks and CS   vdr

#2 lionel

lionel

Messenger

• Loc: Delaware

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

I assume your Unistar Deluxe is equipped with a saddle. My Unistar Deluxe saddle came with two sets of jaws, one to fit Vixen (V style) dovetail plates and another for the wider Losmandy (D style) plates. 

Your A-P is a fairly heavy refractor at 18 lbs for the bare OTA, and its 5.5” rings should be equipped with a Losmandy style plate.  I can recommend the ADM DUP 11M-D Universal Dovetail with 60 mm spacing, which is what I have on my GTX.  It is significantly lighter than the A-P 12” dovetail (SBD12) which has a taller base to clear the dew shield on some other scopes.

Hope this helps.  

Lionel

Edited by lionel, 07 July 2020 - 03:01 PM.

#3 121601

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:12 PM

I assume your Unistar Deluxe is equipped with a saddle. My Unistar Deluxe saddle came with two sets of jaws, one to fit Vixen (V style) dovetail plates and another for the wider Losmandy (D style) plates. 

Your A-P is a fairly heavy refractor at 18 lbs for the bare OTA, and its 5.5” rings should be equipped with a Losmandy style plate.  I can recommend the ADM DUP 11M-D Universal Dovetail with 60 mm spacing, which is what I have on my GTX.  It is significantly lighter than the A-P 12” dovetail (SBD12) which has a taller base to clear the dew shield on some other scopes.

Hope this helps.  

Lionel

Lionel,  Thank you. 

I used to a have a 18.6 lb refractor and still own the plate (below) which worked well with my UA deluxe (2 jaw sets).  It appears similar to what you describe (ADM).  Do you think it will work?

www.stellarvue.com/losmandy-style-dovetail-plate-9-tp006/

Brief description
9" Plate has a center mounting slot and two sets of 1/4" holes 1.5" wide spaced 5" apart

CS vdr

#4 lionel

lionel

Messenger

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

You can see the hole patterns for A-P rings on the A-P website (see below).  On the 55Ring2 there is no hole pair spacing of 1.5” on the bottom flat.  You could use just the central slot with one screw to each ring but I wouldn’t recommend it. That’s an accident waiting to happen if one screw comes loose. Two screws in each ring is standard. I actually use three screws per ring because my plate and rings will accommodate them and I had the hardware, so why not.

See:    https://www.astro-ph...ole-pattern.pdf

Lionel

Edited by lionel, 08 July 2020 - 01:00 PM.

#5 121601

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:49 AM

You can see the hole patterns for A-P rings on the A-P website (see below).  On the 55Ring2 there is no hole pair spacing of 1.5” on the bottom flat.  You could use just the central slot with one screw to each ring but I wouldn’t recommend it. That’s an accident waiting to happen if one screw comes loose. Two screws in each ring is standard. I actually use three screws per ring because my plate and rings will accommodate them and I had the hardware, so why not.

See:    https://www.astro-ph...ole-pattern.pdf

Lionel

Lionel,  If I get this correctly, the 7 plate below will also work given the 60 mm spacing of the 55ring2 diagram I(total of 4 screws).  Am I correct?  thanks.

www.admaccessories.com/product/dup7m-d-series-universal-dovetail-bar-7-long-60mm-spacing/

#6 lionel

lionel

Messenger

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:14 PM

Yes, that plate will work. A potential disadvantage of the short 7” length though is that it may limit your adjustment range for easy balancing fore and aft.

Assuming we have the same scope and rings...note there is enough height built into the base of the 5.5” rings for a 130GTX collapsed dew shield to easily clear longer plates.

Lionel

Edited by lionel, 12 July 2020 - 01:06 PM.

#7 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:12 PM

You likely have a more recent UA Dlx that has dual clamps 7" wide; my Unistar Super 8 is an older model and has dual clamps 8" wide.   I use the ADM 11" D bar on my 130 f7 scope and it allows a couple of inches of leeway for adjusting balance even with stop screws at the ends of the plate.  I'd think even a 130 f6.3 would be better off with a plate longer than 7".  I certainly couldn't go less than the 11" myself.

In my case, to provide clearance between the plate and retracted dew shield so the rings wouldn't need to be moved to fit into the case, I used the ADM UAB 3/8" riser blocks between the plate and rings and it worked out perfectly for me.  With the adapter blocks, I also was able to offset the scope 1/2" lower onto the D plate than the mount's alt axis for perfect balance when using heavy eyepieces while pointed towards zenith.

Rich

#8 121601

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:29 PM

Yes, that plate will work. A potential disadvantage of the short 7” length though is that it may limit your adjustment range for easy balancing fore and aft.

Assuming we have the same scope and rings...note there is enough height built into the base of the 5.5” rings for a 130GTX collapsed dew shield to easily clear longer plates.

Lionel

Here's a potential longer alternative to the ADM 7" model (no longer available) and almost as long as the Stellarvue 9" which worked very well with my previous  5 inch f6.6  19 lb refractor  previously.  CS

(  www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-7-9-losmandy-style-d-plate-short-universal-dovetail-plate-black.html )

Edited by 121601, 26 July 2020 - 11:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics