•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HEQ5/Sirius EQ-G Portable power

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 qualiteaa

qualiteaa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:33 PM

Hello everyone, I just bought a new heq5 mount. I have an ac charger for it to use at home, but I do plan to take it out and about. I've been doing some research, but a bit confused on how to get a good power source for it. From what I found, it needs between 11-15 V and 2 amps. I want to avoid using a marine battery, and trying to find a portable charger option. It would just be used solely for the mount, and I'm only using a dslr for now. I'm looking for maybe 5-6 hours of imaging time for now, as I'm still just a beginner. I was looking at rechargeable battery banks that have a dc output; if I understand it right, something with 12v/11000 mAh would last about 5 hours? Any help/recommendations appreciated!

#2 FrankMill

FrankMill

Sputnik

• Loc: St. Augustine FL

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:53 PM

I just read your posting and it sounds like I wrote it! Parallel lives?

I just got my HEQ-5 Mount last week and I’ve been pondering the same thing. I wanted a power source that is rechargeable, safe, lightweight, and can provide consistent power.

As of now, it looks like the Miady LiFePO4 deep cycle battery on Amazon, 12v 16ah. Should be able to drive the mount for up to 8 hours. I’m using a lightweight ED80CF scope with a Nikon D5500, guidescope and Zwo ASI120MM mini. It comes in less than 9 pounds.

Obviously, I will probably need additional power for a laptop.

Please let me know what solution you find. My name is Frank
Fmillis2014@gmail.com

#3 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:00 PM

This is what I use to power my EQ6R-Pro. Just the mount, the camera is not cooled so runs off USB.

https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it does have ports for my iPad and my laptop if my juice runs low.

#4 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

This is what i use and i modified it to provide a dual purpose device.  I put some clamps and a wooden board on it that can fold down or lock up and provide a table surface for you to work on. It makes a really good field table as it is quite stable.  Yes it IS expensive and does have a large battery in it but it powers everything i use : Scope mount, two cameras, Filter Wheel, USB Hub, and if needed a dew heater strip for the 8" OTA. I will post a photo of it later if anyone is interested. I am not near it right now but will take a photo once i am later this evening.  Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.c...138366928&psc=1

#5 qualiteaa

qualiteaa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:33 PM

This is what I use to power my EQ6R-Pro. Just the mount, the camera is not cooled so runs off USB.

https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it does have ports for my iPad and my laptop if my juice runs low.

Yeah I was looking at that one. Although if I was gonna spend that much on a battery, I'd probably just go with a marine deep cycle and just figure out how to wire it so I'd have a power source for both my mount and laptop. At the moment I'm looking at this https://www.amazon.c...duct/B016BJCRUO .

This is what i use and i modified it to provide a dual purpose device.  I put some clamps and a wooden board on it that can fold down or lock up and provide a table surface for you to work on. It makes a really good field table as it is quite stable.  Yes it IS expensive and does have a large battery in it but it powers everything i use : Scope mount, two cameras, Filter Wheel, USB Hub, and if needed a dew heater strip for the 8" OTA. I will post a photo of it later if anyone is interested. I am not near it right now but will take a photo once i am later this evening.  Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.c...138366928&psc=1

That's quite outside my budget and I'm only needing to power my mount right now, but good to know something like that exists

#6 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:51 PM

heq5 mount.  11-15 V and 2 amps.  ; if I understand it right, something with 12v/11000 mAh would last about 5 hours? 

Check that the 11000mAh  11Ah is at 12V. Some small banks quote the 3.2V battery or +5V USB capacity. 

Do you have a link to the item?  Be sure the 11Ah is @ 12V i.e. 132Wh (watt-hours)

12V 11Ah will run just your mount for 5 hours if you just slew once in a while.

Brace yourself for when you want to power your dew strips, camera, guide scope, and laptop from that battery.  At that point I recommend hitting the gym then buying a 50lb 75Ah 12V SLA deep cycle battery.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 08 July 2020 - 10:55 PM.

#7 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:43 PM

Here is a shot of the power bank with the tray table.  I know it isn't in your budget yet but i am posting this in case others find it useful.  A little note on construction: i didn't want to damage the handle by crushing or scraping it in case i later decided to sell it without the table so i used a soft wood to be the mount point.  this also allowed me to use hinges at the top to allow it to be folded away when not in use.  I have it open here for demonstration.  This table top makes a really stable platform even when used with mildly heavy cases or objects.  for example i can place both 11 lb tripod weights on it and the unit wont tip over.

_MG_9751.JPG

#8 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

You can also simply get one or two sealed lead acid batteries and attach a 12v lighter type socket to them.  Use a greater than 12AH battery if you want to power more than your scope.  A 12AH battery might run the mount alone for at least 4 hours, though more might be pushing it.  You really don't need any other attachments if you are not planning on running anything but the scope on it.  I do agree though that you will need a lot of power to run multiple devices for 5 hours, that's why i got the Xantrex, it has the power to do that but also has wheels which makes it far simpler to transport which i imagine is the man concern with a car type battery. I have replaced the internal battery at least once with a 40AH one and yeah, it is car battery size.  The unit can even jump start my ford explorer sport trac if i need it to.

#9 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

I  just replaced the 17ah AGM battery in my field use power pack with a 40ah lithium pack. Half the weight, almost 4x the usable capacity and, at $140 including a charger and shipping, a no brainer upgrade for me. It was a long wait for shipping from overseas though.  If you follow the 50% discharge rule for lead acid batteries, this little gem has almost the capacity of a 75ah deep cycle battery.

Edited by Phil Sherman, 09 July 2020 - 02:28 PM.

#10 qualiteaa

qualiteaa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:50 AM

I just replaced the 17ah AGM battery in my field use power pack with a 40ah lithium pack. Half the weight, almost 4x the usable capacity and, at $140 including a charger and shipping, a no brainer upgrade for me. It was a long wait for shipping from overseas though. If you follow the 50% discharge rule for lead acid batteries, this little gem has almost the capacity of a 75ah deep cycle battery.

What lithium battery was that?

#11 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

What lithium battery was that?

From China, AliExpress. It's a cube with blue shrink wrap and has the BMS imbedded inside the shrink wrap. I believe it was on sale for $110 with $30 shipping. My tests indicate that the individual cells are high capacity, lower discharge rate cells. Around 3.25Ah/cell wired as 3S12P means a 1C discharge rate would be over 36A. My gear draws 5-6A so I'll get to use the full capacity of the cells. (Lithium cells have less capacity than their rating when discharged at high current rates. The charts I examined show that a 10A discharge rate for these cells drops their capacity from over 3.2Ah to 2.5Ah.)

The only problem with this battery is the discharge voltage curve. Like all lithium cells, the voltage quickly drops initially followed by a slow voltage drop as the battery discharges. Very little draw drops the output voltage from 12.6v to below 11.9v and it will drop to around 9v before the BMS shuts off the output. My power box already has the mount on a 13v buck/boost regulator while my cameras are on buck regulators for their 7.5v and 5v needs. I'm adding a 12v buck/boost 4A regulator ($10) to one of the current direct battery outputs to give me a fixed 12v output. If I hook up my computer to the battery, I can attach its dc power brick to the remaining direct battery outlet.

Edited by Phil Sherman, 11 July 2020 - 03:27 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics