•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Condensation on sensor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ajreynolds

ajreynolds

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:56 AM

I've acquired an old FLI MaxCam CCD camera and was able to get it working this evening, but I found spots all over the image.  After a bit of searching online, I'm guessing the CCD chamber's seals are leaking and the spots are condensation on the sensor.  Or could it be condensation on the window on the front of the chamber?  I looked but couldn't see condensation on either the CCD or the window, so I can't tell which it is.  

Is there anything I can do if the chamber's seals are leaking?  I've written to FLI, but I don't know they can do anything about it since the camera is old.

Thanks,

Andy

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200622_182025_resized.jpg
  • M3.jpg

#2 imtl

imtl

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:20 AM

Did you take a flat frame? How does it look? Did you look at the actual sensor? Condensation is easily seen. Flat frame will tell the story.

#3 ajreynolds

ajreynolds

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:59 PM

Good idea.  I'll try setting up to take a flat and see what that shows.  Thanks.

#4 ajreynolds

ajreynolds

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:18 AM

I tried taking flats, but couldn't see the condensation, even after stretching.  I was able to see the condensation form on the sensor by opening the shutter and looking at the sensor itself.  After a few minutes with the cooler being on, the condensation was obvious.  I then turned it off and let it sit for a while and could see the condensation had evaporated.  

FLI no longer services cameras this old.  I opened up the camera, but couldn't find a desiccant to refresh.  Does anyone know if there are third party companies who might be able to service the camera?

Thanks,

Andy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics