•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Three Amigos (Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars) on July 6 2020

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:02 AM

We've finally had some clear nights that have allowed me to image Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars in the early AM. So, yesterday I took a bit of a chance and got out my 9.25" EdgeHD hoping for clear skies and at least decent seeing conditions.

As it turned out the seeing conditions on the morning of July 6, 2020 were merely okay, but at least the skies stayed clear until Jupiter and Saturn got near to a whopping 35 to 36 degrees in altitude (and right over my neighbor's hot roof, we've had 90F degree daytime temperatures and I'm surrounded by nothing but houses, asphalt, and concrete).

In addition to the EdgeHD I used an Astro-Physics Advanced Convertible Barlow (working at a measured 1.7X, a bit short of my desire), a ZWO ADC, and a QHY5III-178C camera. Image capture was done using SharpCap with image processing in AutoStakkert!, Registax, and Photoshop CC2019. I captured ten to twenty thousand frames for each sequence and processed the best 10% (approximately) for each planet. There are some additional sequences on Jupiter that I may combine with WinJUPOS and I'm hoping that will give a better result on the "king" (although with the Red Spot right on the limb of Jupiter that combination may not work very well).

I have some yet unprocessed wide field images that include several of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn (I tried for Phobos and Demos on Mars but I think that failed). I may combine those with the images of Jupiter and Saturn to produce a "family" portrait.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter July 6 2020.jpg
  • Saturn July 6 2020.jpg
  • Mars July 6 2020.jpg

Edited by james7ca, 07 July 2020 - 02:42 AM.

• John Boudreau, Pete Gorczynski, R Botero and 14 others like this

#2 imtl

imtl

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:51 AM

Okay I need to get an EdgeHD. I waited enough....

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:53 AM

I like my EdgeHD but unless you also have an interest in DSO imaging you'd do just as well on planetary work with a standard SCT (and save some money at that). The only exception would be if you'd like to do some wide-field imaging of the moon with a camera like the IMX183. In the latter case, Tom Glenn has shown what can be done with some full-lunar-disk mosaics using the ASI183MM on a 9.25" EdgeHD.

Beyond that, unless you happen to live in a location that has fairly good seeing on a frequent basis it could be that any large SCT will be somewhat wasted. If I lived in Florida (or the mountains of California) I'd probably get two (four?) times as much use of my EdgeHD as I do along the coast in San Diego county (lack of clear nights and when it is clear the seeing generally isn't very good). But, I'm mainly a DSO imager so most of my clear nights are devoted to that with refractors that are both "faster" and with a shorter focal length.

Edited by james7ca, 07 July 2020 - 04:00 AM.

• gfstallin likes this

#4 imtl

imtl

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:56 AM

I do wide field DSO with my NP101. We do however get pretty good seeing here in NZ and I have a bortle 1 site 35 minutes drive from me. This is just a wishful thinking really. Another scope needs a whole new setup and camera to match and a mount of course. No money to invest in these weird times. I just adore the work you posted using the EdgeHD for now.

Eyal

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics