•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PixInsight TIF Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:08 AM

I was using the Screen Transfer Function in PixInsight yesterday, applying it to the histogram and then saving the image as a 16bit TIFF file to process further in Adobe Photoshop.

For some reason, when doing the same thing today, when I save the image from PixInsight I get a massively underexposed TIFF file, as if the STF didn't apply to the image properly.

The only thing I can't work out is why this is happening as I'm doing nothing different to what I did yesterday.

The first attached screenshot shows what the image looks like in PixInsight after I've applied the STF to the histogram. The second screenshot shows what the image looks like once I've saved it as a 16bit TIFF.

Any ideas?

*UPDATE*

I've been playing around with some of the export settings and noticed that if i tick the 'ICC Profile' box when exporting from PixInsight the exported file is properly exposed. The issue then re-appears when I import into Photoshop as it does not recognise the ICC Profile. As soon as i finish processing in Photoshop and try to export as a TIFF file I end up with an under exposed image again. If I export as a JPG I don't get the same issue so it appears as though my issue is specifically with using TIFF files.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2020-07-07 14(Yoj0ptGiv5G).jpg
  • Screenshot 2020-07-07 14(3EnmV8bxEwf).jpg

Edited by Gr4h4m, 07 July 2020 - 02:27 AM.

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:37 AM

I export 16-bit TIFF files from PixInsight very frequently on my PC and then open those in Photoshop CC on a Mac without issues. That said, I don't think Photoshop can read anything but integer TIFF files, but maybe I'm confusing that with some other app (i.e. not Photoshop). My guess would be that the STF is not transferring properly to your HistogramTransformation process. Have you tried a restart on PI?

#3 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:53 AM

Yeah, I've just done a fresh install of PI but, unfortunately, I'm still getting the same issue.

It's strange. I don't think I'm doing anything different to what I did yesterday. I even followed a few YouTube tutorials just to make sure but, as soon as I export to TIFF, I get a dark image.

#4 Tayson82

Tayson82

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland / Wolomin

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:44 AM

Convert Your's mono file to RGB and save with ICC profile. All steps in pix.

#5 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:55 AM

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. Just need to work out how to do that, haha

#6 Tayson82

Tayson82

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland / Wolomin

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:33 AM

convert to rgb

a1.png

save as tiff

a2.png

#7 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

Niceone, thanks mate. I’ll give that a try tonight.

It was forecast to be cloudy, however, there’s not a cloud in the sky so I’m running around like a mad man getting the scope set up.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics