•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR / focuser orientation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rags Jr

Rags Jr

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:07 AM

Good morning,

I have A question for those using A Newtonian for astrophotography. How do you typically index your focuser when your mount is in the home position? I have been setting it vertically upward, having it to either side seems to effect balance. It works pretty well, though I need A small stool sometimes to see the camera display. Do any of you set the camera vertically down? 

thanks!

Rick

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:27 AM

I think I've seen the camera/focuser in the vertical down position more than any other way.   Why fight gravity ?  :)

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

I use vertical-down to help keep the loads symmetrical and reduce the moment arms of the loads. This also allows me to mount a guide scope along the top centerline of the telescope.

Food for thought.

#4 Rags Jr

Rags Jr

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:16 PM

Thank you for the advice guys, I appreciate it! When I get some clear skies I will give it A go.

#5 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:41 AM

Likewise, I mount my camera with the focuser ‘down’.
Since I’m using Backyard Nikon to control my camera, which is ‘tethered’ to my laptop, I can see the camera view on the computer screen.
The only time I look at the image on the camera’s LCD screen, or look through the viewfinder, is when I do my initial sky alignment, to be sure I’m on the correct star(s) and to check that the camera is roughly focused.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics