•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ENVIS M703E ocular thread size

NV
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nimitz69

nimitz69

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:39 AM

while i wait for my P7089HP tube to arrive I'm trying to gather the other parts I'll need to construct my Gen 1 cruise ship astronomy NVD.

I have the ocular from the non working ENVIS M703E that I used to source my ENIVIS objective from which seems to me to be perfect for this ... never throw away anything!

I'm wondering however, if anyone happens to know what the male thread size is on this ocular so I can look for an appropriate locking ring to mount it?

ENVIS.jpg

Edited by nimitz69, 07 July 2020 - 04:24 PM.

#2 nimitz69

nimitz69

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:12 PM

Hmmmm .... looks like I’ve finally managed to stump the combined NV expertise here on CN with a question .... smile.gif

#3 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Messed Up Sanctuary State

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:07 AM

Hmmmm .... looks like I’ve finally managed to stump the combined NV expertise here on CN with a question .... smile.gif

Hardly ...

I'll try my now standard mantra once again.  This ocular is subject to ITAR, hence public disclosure of its design specs, e.g. thread specs, are also likely subject to ITAR.

If you PM me, though, I can get you the measurements that you desire.

BTW, this particular ocular will fit a variety of NV housings including:  PVS-18, PVS-15, Star-Tron MK-880, ITT 6010 Pocket Scope, Litton M944/M942 and the ancient PVS-5 (dual-tube unit that looks like a face hugger).

Edited by jdbastro, 09 July 2020 - 12:07 AM.

#4 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:09 AM

There are 3d printable designs on Thingiverse.  You can have an adapter printed for next to nothing or ask one of the designers there rather than deal with the forums resident Troll.  There is nothing in ITAR that prevents the disclosure of specs, in fact tube performance specs, what really matters are regularly discussed and published in this forum, and every other forum on NV on the net.  The Gen 4-5 stuff is what is classified, and is what is NOT available to the public.

#5 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:21 AM

He's not a troll, you should apologize for that or change your post.

He is, however, being overly careful in my opinion.  I do agree, physical specs like this are not subject to ITAR.

Let's try this another way - what are the thread of the eyepiece on a PVS-14 housing containing no tube or a non-ITAR controlled tube?

#6 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:01 PM

Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users.

The post I am referring to meets the above defintion very well. 

Lets take a Mod 3C housing......  A mod 3C housing can contain an ITAR tube.  Yet a Mod 3C housing is a Cmount thread, common knowledge....  Per the above post I should be expecting black helicopters and a knock on my door.....  The forum includes vendors posting and promoting products, and publishing tube specs.  Yet when a simple question is asked like the above, which is an exact repeat of the same question I had asked earlier the people with the knowledge fall silent.  I will find out what that thread is, and when I do I will post the results of that querry for the benefit of the community, and not retain it for the benefit of my knowing something others dont, as is become more the norm here unfortunately..

#7 11769

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: TX

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:04 PM

Lets take a Mod 3C housing......  A mod 3C housing can contain an ITAR tube.  Yet a Mod 3C housing is a Cmount thread, common knowledge....  Per the above post I should be expecting black helicopters and a knock on my door.....  The forum includes vendors posting and promoting products, and publishing tube specs.  Yet when a simple question is asked like the above, which is an exact repeat of the same question I had asked earlier the people with the knowledge fall silent.  I will find out what that thread is, and when I do I will post the results of that querry for the benefit of the community, and not retain it for the benefit of my knowing something others dont, as is become more the norm here unfortunately..

Try exporting a MOD-3C housing. Just because the C-mount thread is not controlled doesn't mean other aspects aren't. A PVS-14 has a standard 1/4"-20 tripod mounting hole. A PVS-14 housing, with no tube, is very much ITAR controlled. 

As an exercise, go find an original drawing for a Magpul M-LOK T-nut. 

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:15 PM

I am not silent because of ITAR.  You can buy PVS-14s virtually anywhere in the western word and tube manufacturers routinely post minimum specs by model number. The Omni IX minimum specs are easily found on the internet.

While we may not be able to export PVS-14s, since you can buy them almost anywhere in the western world, it is safe to say that all dimensional information on the PVS-14 is in the public domain because the devices themselves are in the public domain

I was silent simply because I don't know the answer.  I have a thread gauge and caliper, but I don't have the lens in question. If I did, I would answer it gladly. 

Edited by Eddgie, 10 July 2020 - 01:23 PM.

• gatorengineer and Mike Lockwood like this

#9 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Edgie, I am posting on Reddit and hopefully someone there has it, as well as going back to TNVC.......

#10 nimitz69

nimitz69

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:37 PM

While it would certainly be nice to just be able to find one, next week I’m heading to a local machine shop to see about fabricating one for me assuming they don’t want too much. Ive been meaning to go there for a couple of parts i need made for my Dalek so this is a good excuse to finally go ...

My original thought was to see if PrecisionParts could make one but that would mean I’ve have to send him the housing or ocular which of course I can’t do ...

Edited by nimitz69, 10 July 2020 - 04:39 PM.

#11 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:25 PM

Hey, if they can do it and it helps I will buy one.  PM me if interested.  I will continue to try and find the thread info.  I am getting a 36 pan from Harry siebert, and he is putting M48s on it for me. He can cut alot of different threads, just need to know what it is....

#12 FeedTheNeed

FeedTheNeed

Lift Off

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:54 PM

There are 3d printable designs on Thingiverse.  You can have an adapter printed for next to nothing or ask one of the designers there rather than deal with the forums resident Troll.  There is nothing in ITAR that prevents the disclosure of specs, in fact tube performance specs, what really matters are regularly discussed and published in this forum, and every other forum on NV on the net.  The Gen 4-5 stuff is what is classified, and is what is NOT available to the public.

Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users.

The post I am referring to meets the above defintion very well. 

Jdb's a troll? Really now? He's contributed a huge amount of information on this forum over the years, some of which you've probably benefitted from yourself. Extreme caution doesn't equate to trolling, but calling someone else a troll repeatedly is trolling itself, ironically. Come on...

#13 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:44 AM

Been doing outreach for over 40 years, and have zero patience for folks with the attitude of I know something and you dont.  I have always taken the approach that the hobby was sharing knowledge for the greater good of the community, but I see that is changing quickly, especially here on cloudy.  Little wonder why the hobby is dying.

#14 11769

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:32 PM

Been doing outreach for over 40 years, and have zero patience for folks with the attitude of I know something and you dont.  I have always taken the approach that the hobby was sharing knowledge for the greater good of the community, but I see that is changing quickly, especially here on cloudy.  Little wonder why the hobby is dying.

Emphasis added. Right off the bat, jdbastro provided a wealth of pertinent info and offered to send the information to you via PM. Did you take him up on it? There's certainly been plenty of commentary back and forth since that offer was made. That should answer who's the troll. 

• Doug Culbertson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics