•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Light pollution filters & Bahtinov Mask & Revolution Imager

accessories beginner filters
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dave 123

Dave 123

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:19 AM

Hi All,

I was gifted a C8 and recently purchased an AVX mount. I live in NYC and plan to do my viewing from home and from e.g., Jenny Jump (class 4). I've done some research but could use the input.

1. Is there a light pollution filter that works for both viewing and imaging? I plan to primarily observe and secondarily image on occasion with my Fuji X-T2 for the moment. Is either the Optolong L-eNhance or Optolong L-Pro Filter appropriate? Or something less expensive like the Astronomik CLS or Astronomik UHC Filter?

2. I thought about getting get a Bahtinov Mask for my C8. How can I use it with a dew shield?

Should I get the Farpoint for $22 or William Optics for around $70?

3. Does anyone have any familiarity with and opinions about the Revolution Imager R2 with Viewing Screen? Would I be able to make pictures with it or is it just for observing?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Dave

#2 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:37 PM

I have found that light pollution filters that are designed for color imaging like the Hutech IDAS LPS2 and the Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter make excellent visual filters. However, visual light pollution filters make poor imaging filters. This is because imaging filters are more selective in the colors they suppress.

You can mount a Bahtinov mask on the end of your dew shield.

The Revolution Imager 2 is a fine tool for real-time observing, but not so good as a camera for astrophotography. I refer to my RI2 as my best eyepiece, but my worst camera. A good modern DSLR makes a good general purpose camera and can also be used for real time observing when paired with the right software like Backyard EOS or Backyard Nikon.

Food for thought.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner, filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics