•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thinking about switching focus to EAA - better scope ideas?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BillionsAndBillions

BillionsAndBillions

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

Hi all,

I was all set to buy an HEQ5, GT71, and ASI183 for AP. But now I’m wondering if EAA is a better match for me. I mostly want to see cool stuff and have some cool photos to take away, but I don’t think I’m that concerned with the minutiae of perfect photos.

EAA seems like a good transition between visual and AP - you see some cool stuff but it’s maybe more immediately gratifying and you can move either way if you buy reasonable gear. Is this correct?

To that end, I am thinking about still buying the HEQ5 and the ASI183 (or whatever is appropriate to match my final scope), but I’m wondering if the GT71 is overkill. If I wanted to take the $900 from the GT71 and spend it on an EAA-centric scope, what would you recommend? And if I love the photo part of it, I can always get a triplet later and I will already have a good mount and camera.

Thoughts?
Denny

#2 khursh

khursh

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

A large fast scope is what works best for EAA. Think a 6 or 8" f/4 newtonian. I have used a reduced C8 to fairly good effect. My gallery has mostly EAA images - especially anything from 2018/2019. Your mount and camera would be fine.

• Rickster and BillionsAndBillions like this

#3 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:05 PM

Maybe a little less pricey fast refractor would do well.

#4 BillionsAndBillions

BillionsAndBillions

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

I was also thinking of an ES AR127. More reach, about as fast, more or less the same price. The achro tendencies would be largely lost in the EAA noise, I assume.

#5 khursh

khursh

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, that would work. F/4 is a lot faster than f/6.5 though. https://www.astronom...tical-tube.html

#6 spereira

spereira

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

Moving to EAA, for a better fit.

smp

#7 BillionsAndBillions

BillionsAndBillions

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

Whoops! Thank you for moving it.

#8 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:28 PM

Cheapo rc6 with a ccd67 reducer and 294mc. Perfection for eaa imo

#9 Rickster

Rickster

Apollo

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM

EAA means gathering data quickly, and no post processing.  Almost any scope can be made to work.  An f4 to f5 Newt is the easiest.  Bigger is better.

• cmooney91 likes this

#10 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

My Esprit 80 (F5) with the ASI 294mc on my CEM25EC is the kitty's meeeooooow for me and eaa.

I am blessed to able to afford the equipment I use.

You don't need the Esprit line, any reasonably good ota will work and yes the faster F ratio helps.

The 294 might be a better choice because it has larger pixels so doesn't need longer photon exposers.

One also doesn't need a high end encoder mount either. Both the HEQ5 or CEM25P would be very capable mounts.

#11 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:39 AM

I find a standard SCT with FR3.3 or FR6.3 on either my SE or AZ-EQ 5 fine. Also my ES102 with .8 reducer on the AZ-EQ works (also using no reducer). Depends on if you want to image large stuff or small UI galaxies (I use the C5 a lot on the SE with the 294 FR6.3 and the 224 with the FR3.3).

#12 GazingOli

GazingOli

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

I was also thinking of an ES AR127. More reach, about as fast, more or less the same price. The achro tendencies would be largely lost in the EAA noise, I assume.

I would recommend a scope with high quality lenses... I started with a 80/400 Fraunhofer with an ASI120 just to test around. I found the results not very promising. Now I built my own 80/480 triplet APO and results are much better with the same camera.

CS.Oli

#13 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:29 AM

I use an ASI174MM on a permanent hyperstar C9.25. I also have an ASI183MM Pro. Even with 2x binning and cooling on the ASI183, I've found the ASI174MM uncooled to be the better camera for EAA, exposures up to 16 seconds. The pixels are larger at 5.86 micron vs 2.4 micron on the ASI183, though the field is slightly smaller at 11.3 x 7.1 mm2 vs 13.2 x 8.8mm2. That field size is fine for most deep sky objects. I had bought the ASI183MM Pro for this purpose but use it for something else now.

If you use a small refractor, an APO gives a better image than an Achromatic.

Andrew

#14 jprideaux

jprideaux

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:17 PM

Cheapo rc6 with a ccd67 reducer and 294mc. Perfection for eaa imo

What mount would you recommend with a reduced 6” RC with 294mc?

#15 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:11 PM

What mount would you recommend with a reduced 6” RC with 294mc?

The best EQ mount you can afford...  Pat Utah smile.gif

Edited by Alien Observatory, 04 August 2020 - 11:17 PM.

• Rickster, alphatripleplus and DSO_Viewer like this

#16 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:20 AM

I use an AR102 for EAA and there's too much chromatic aberration for my liking.  I think a triplet is better.

• GazingOli likes this

#17 GazingOli

GazingOli

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

exactly my experience!

If the thread starter is only targeting on EAA and not photography my actual recommendation would be:

• 80 mm Triplet APO f/6 (or at least ED APO f/7)
  • ASI 224 Camera
  • Skywatcher Star Discovery
  • Focal reducer .5 and Barlow 2x
  • SharpCap PRO
  • (Notebook with Core I5 or better should be available)

Nice set to start with, compact, easy to handle, not too expensive.

More aperture is always better but requires a different and more expensive mount.

CS.Oli

#18 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:25 PM

But now I’m wondering if EAA is a better match for me. I mostly want to see cool stuff and have some cool photos to take away, but I don’t think I’m that concerned with the minutiae of perfect photos.

EAA seems like a good transition between visual and AP - you see some cool stuff but it’s maybe more immediately gratifying and you can move either way if you buy reasonable gear. Is this correct?

>> Yes that is what EAA is all about. While I love looking at amazing AP images, personally, I would rather get a root canal then do all the post-processing required in traditional AP. EAA is really about observing but you can also get some nice screenshots as a take away.

Edited by descott12, 06 August 2020 - 02:18 PM.

• Tony Bonanno, Alien Observatory, cmooney91 and 1 other like this

#19 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

I love EAA when at home. It is the edge that helps beat light pollution. I have been using a 10 inch f/4 imaging Newtonian. I just got the ASIAIR Pro and hope to have it up and running soon doing some live stacking with my iPad Pro. Been trimming tree limbs to open up my views a bit in my observatory. I have also been using a white phosphor night vision tube to see great things even with light polluted skies.

Under truly dark skies I like to observe wife and imaging some but still keep the focus on observing while at a dark site.

#20 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:53 AM

Although I have to say, having setup a Celestron C6 SCT last night I was very pleased with the results. The AR102 EAA days are numbered!

I use an AR102 for EAA and there's too much chromatic aberration for my liking.  I think a triplet is better.

#21 Tony Bonanno

Tony Bonanno

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:28 PM

>> Yes that is what EAA is all about. While I love looking at amazing AP images, personally, I would rather get a root canal then do all the post-processing required in traditional AP. EAA is really about observing but you can also get some nice screenshots as a take away.

I agree.  I've been a visual amateur for "decades" and only recently decided to try EAA.  With EAA I've been able to see things that I could only dream about seeing in the eyepiece.  I've been able to successfully use EAA with both of my SCT's (with reducers) and am now looking at more wide field views with a new WO GT81 refractor.  Had the new refractor out for first light last night.  Image attached is my first try with the Andromeda Galaxy.  The SCT's could only fit a small FOV.  Even with this refractor I couldn't get all of it, but sure got a view I've never come close to before.  And the scope was just mounted temporarily on a 15 year old 6SE Nexstar mount..The image is right out of the camera via ASIAIR PRO.  No post.  And it took minutes, not hours smile.gif .  And I'm still a beginner.

Image- M31, Andromeda Galaxy

Scope- William Optics GT81 f/5.9 APO

Camera-  ZWO ASI 183mc

ASIAIR Pro camera mgmt / processing

Mount- refractor mounted on 6SE nexstar mount while waiting for new GEM.

Exposure - live stacking 50 subs, 10 seconds each, dark and bias calibration files applied during live stacking.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0130a.jpg

Edited by Tony Bonanno, 07 August 2020 - 10:34 PM.

• Starman27, BinoGuy, Alien Observatory and 3 others like this

#22 GazingOli

GazingOli

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:54 AM

With EAA I've been able to see things that I could only dream about seeing in the eyepiece.

that's it!!!

I am only a beginner. Two years ago I started with astronomy. My plans to often drive to a dark spot for observing failed - wheather - moon - time. Caught in this triangle I realized, that I spent the first half of 2019 with 3 nights of observing and in autumn I was thinking of selling my equipment. Then a friend came up with eVscope. I first smiled at him, but then tried to put up my own version of EAA. And now:

The image is taken with my custom 80/480 triplet APO refractor and ASI 224 cam.

M16.jpg

The pillars of creation in M16!!! From my backyard with an international airport nearby - built up in a few minutes!!!! It was two nights ago and I could not believe it. It was the first time ever that I could observe the Eagle Nebula live. And I never expected to be able to visualize those structures.

CS.Oli

Edited by GazingOli, 08 August 2020 - 01:02 AM.

• Starman27 and Tony Bonanno like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics