•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Double Jovian Delight

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Star Geezer

Star Geezer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lat. N 40º 56' Long. W 87º 8'

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

I came upon the CalSky Website a couple days ago. Yesterday, I checked for any events for the night and found a transit of Io and the GRS were going to take place in almost perfect sync. Due to the haze the last several nights I did not feel like hauling out the Orion Xt8 only to retrieve it later in defeat. I started observing Io's approach at about 15 minutes till midnight with the Orion 4.5” Starblast, Orion 2x Shorty Barlow and the Celestron 24mm-8mm zoom eyepiece. As Io got close, I attempted to see the leading shadow without luck. Briefly as Io completely covered the surface I could then make out the Moon and its shadow, the 3-D effect was amazing. Shortly after Io blended in with Jupiter and I could only see its shadow. I observed the tiny little black spot move across Jupiter for the next hour 45 minutes.

My first ever transit of one of Jupiter's Moons.

Edited by Star Geezer, 07 July 2020 - 02:05 PM.

• Special Ed, Vesper818, Dean Norris and 6 others like this

#2 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

Congratulations on your first transit!  They are very cool to watch, just another little thing that Jupiter has to offer.  Hope you get to see many more.

• Star Geezer likes this

#3 spereira

spereira

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:05 PM

Moving to Solar System Observing ...

smp

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

Star Geezer,

Glad you got to see the transit.  I saw it too and made this sketch of the start of the event.  smile.gif

2020-07-07-0550-MR-CMII-298.jpg

• payner, ken30809, mikerepp and 2 others like this

#5 Star Geezer

Star Geezer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lat. N 40º 56' Long. W 87º 8'

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

Congratulations on your first transit!  They are very cool to watch, just another little thing that Jupiter has to offer.  Hope you get to see many more.

Thank you. To be honest, I did not believe I would be able to observe the transit at all, especially in a scope designed for its low power wide field views. Now that I know what I can expect, I will be checking the website and observing every transit event I can. Hope it never gets boring.

Star Geezer,

Glad you got to see the transit.  I saw it too and made this sketch of the start of the event.  smile.gif

attachicon.gif2020-07-07-0550-MR-CMII-298.jpg

Beautiful sketch, nicely done. You have captured the exact moment when I was able to observe the moon and its shadow. Thanks you.

Edited by Star Geezer, 08 July 2020 - 12:30 PM.

#6 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

I watched this event on 7/6 too, also using a Starblast. I had planned to use my 10", but a recent bout of low back pain persuaded me to go with 4.5". I have also recently been surprised by how well this small f/4 reflector can do on the planets. It helped that Jupiter was approaching the meridian and the planet had moved away from the mountains to my east. I was able to view it at 193 and 123x, which is beyond what I ever thought the scope could handle. Prior to getting a 7mm eyepiece, which I use with a 3x Barlow for the high mag, I only used a 4mm for 113x. Now I up that often, depending upon seeing to support it.

The little scope was also great for looking at comet Neowise this morning, but that is for a different thread...  B)

Edited by Don H, 08 July 2020 - 02:44 PM.

• Star Geezer likes this

#7 ed100

ed100

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

Great report. Thanks for sharing. Jupiter has been my main target over the past few weeks.
  • Star Geezer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics