•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any experience using astro autofocus software with DSLR lenses?

astrophotography dslr equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nathanm

nathanm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

There are numerous software packages that will autofocus a telescope by taking photos and judging where the minimum size star disk is.   This includes Focus Max as a dedicated focus application, and/or features within telescope and camera control software like APT, NINA etc.

I use Canon DSLR - astro modified 5D Mark IV, and more recently a QHY 128c with Canon mount.   I use Canon and other Canon-mount lenses from 14mm to 200mm.

I already found that using a stepper motor with a Cine-style follow-focus gear on the lens can step much more finely than I can by hand.   I did this "manually" meaning I am still judging the spot size by eye.  But the stepper motor is much better than turning the ring.

But once I am there I thought hey, why not do autofocus with the same software that one uses for telescopes.

I believe the simplest way to do that is to get an ASCOM compatible controller for my stepper, like this https://pegasusastro...tor-controller/  and then use one of the many software approaches.

What is your experience doing this?   Is there any software that is particularly good in this case?  

#2 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:40 PM

https://sourceforge....focuserpro2diy/

For your Canon lenses mounted to your QHY 128C, this is the better solution though IMO: http://astromechanics.org/ascom.html

#3 nathanm

nathanm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

The Astromechanics Canon lens interface is very interesting and I do use it with QHY.

That allows controlling the aperture, and also the focus motors if it is an autofocus lens.

However, most of the lenses that I use are NOT autofocus lenses.   They are manual - like Zeiss or Samyang/Rokinon.   So this approach does not help for them - that is why I use a cinema-style follow focus gear on the lens, engaged by a stepper motor.   Which can then be driven by a manual controller to bump focus by a tiny amount.   

My hope is that I can use it with astrophotography autofocus software.  Which in principle should work. 

#4 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:18 PM

Yes, I understand. The first link I provided is an Ascom driver for controlling a stepper motor through an arduino board that should work for you

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

#5 nathanm

nathanm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:02 AM

Thanks!

#6 Iamhondo

Iamhondo

Sputnik

• Loc: Salem, MO

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:10 PM

I use Canon DSLR - astro modified 5D Mark IV, and more recently a QHY 128c with Canon mount.   I use Canon and other Canon-mount lenses from 14mm to 200mm.

You have several answers, but I'll throw in a couple more. 

First, tools like EOS Utility and Backyard EOS have the ability to adjust the focuser (via computer control) of a Canon EOS camera with a Canon lens. Neither does autofocus. Other programs interface to EOS DSLRs -- like APT. I don't know which if any will do autofocus for an EOS camera/lens combo. I think you have several references to an interface that would allow you to connect and focus a Canon lens with non-Canon cameras, like ZWO and QHY. Some tools can adjust aperture, too.

Second, I'm experimenting with the Tilta Nucleus-Nano wireless focuser. This is designed for film production, not astrophotos. I've mounted my ZWO camera with a Nikkor 180mm AIS lens. The focuser allows me to make micro adjustments using the hand controller, but not with a computer (afaict). That's not a huge drawback. Once I get precise focus on my lens, I lock that focus for the night.

Here's a short demo video of the Nano: https://www.youtube....h?v=CkOhuQYDYtw

HTH,

Joe

#7 nathanm

nathanm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

I am currently using stepper motors designed for cinematographers similar in spirit to the Tilta Nucleas-Nano - they are just not wireless, and are controlled either with a hand controller, or via software on a PC, but not autofocus.

Basically what I want to do is use the cine-style steppers with an ASCOM driver and astro autofocus software.  I've been messaged by people who do similar things so I think it will work. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics