•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone viewed comet neo wise with their. Classic scope?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#26 Martin

Martin

Viking 1

• Loc: South Dakota

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

Watched it last night through my Parks 6 inch F6 for about 10 minutes. Looked great but it also looked great through the binoculars. I haven't seen a good comet for quite some time so this was a treat. I am hoping to watch it for many nights through July as it gets a little bit higher in the sky. 

Martin

• steve t, TerryWood, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#27 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:04 PM

I may finally drag my Vega out to view Neowise. After stugying and considering the history of my Vega, I THINK it was configured for comet hunting. 1960s, f/4, 25% CO. Wide, flat field. Comet hunting was a big deal in the 60s.
  • steve t and TerryWood like this

#28 Pete W

Pete W

Messenger

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

Just spotted it in my 8x56 Binos and got it in my old Kowa TS-1 spotter. A bit higher than than expected.  Bright nucleus and a short tail extending up to the north.   Couldn’t get it with the naked eye.

#29 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:14 PM

Yes easily seen naked eye tonight @ 10pm local time.

Fabulous in Binoculars and in my SPC-80

• steve t, TerryWood and jcruse64 like this

#30 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:45 PM

Not in a classic scope yet..... but I did finally get to see it!

My first view of Comet Neowise was just last night, 22:30 ~ 22:50 Local time. It was easy to find it visually - I could actually see the tail first with averted vision. Very cool! 

Looking forward to more good views of it.

T

• steve t, TerryWood and jcruse64 like this

#31 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:33 PM

Caught it with my silly iPhone 11 Pro Max about 15 minutes ago from my bathroom window in Highland Park, Los Angeles, CA.

This is a cropped image to show the comet more closely.  In the 1x "zoom", it's pretty small.  Hoping I can get to somewhere dark this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails

• NEOWISE_iphone_2020-07-15_crop.jpg

• photiost, steve t, TerryWood and 7 others like this

#32 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:27 AM

My observing friend and I going out to the country to a dark sky site next week to view it around close approach. 

Edited by Terra Nova, 16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM.

• steve t, TerryWood, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#33 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:32 AM

I captured Comet Neowise yesterday morning with my TeleVue Genesis (non-sdf) and Sony A7S camera. It vignetted, but that's ok. I still kind of like it. It was very close to the horizon and I basically had one crack at it before it got too light outside. This is a stack of 20 frames.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1978.JPG

• tim53, Martin, Vesper818 and 21 others like this

#34 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM

I captured Comet Neowise yesterday morning with my TeleVue Genesis (non-sdf) and Sony A7S camera. It vignetted, but that's ok. I still kind of like it. It was very close to the horizon and I basically had one crack at it before it got too light outside. This is a stack of 20 frames.

V/R

Terry

That’s a beautiful photo Terry! Always nice to see what a Genesis can do (and in this case in the hands of a skilled photographer!). I plan on taking mine when I go next week! I love my Genesis!

• TerryWood likes this

#35 PawPaw

PawPaw

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

Viewed it last night with my Burris 10x50 binoculars starting at 9:20 even with residual broken clouds on the north/northwest horizon found it on a good hill to our west once found moved to the end of our driveway and found the perfect spot to setup a scope next time.  At times it was obscured by the thin bands of clouds but in the breaks was able to see unaided.  Maybe tonight with the 6inch f/5.

Don

• steve t, TerryWood and Terra Nova like this

#36 combatdad

combatdad

Vanguard

• Loc: Culpeper, VA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:29 AM

Viewed it two nights ago with both my 10x50 Unitron binos...and my Brandon 94 using a 48 mm Brandon EP (4 degrees FOV).  First observed it at 9:10 pm and had it above the horizon until a little after 10 pm.  The head/coma was very bright; the tail was visible out about 2 degrees, almost to the 5th mag star HIP 37441.  This was my third viewing of the comet, the first two were with the Unitron binos only.

Dave

• starman876, steve t, TerryWood and 5 others like this

#37 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Sputnik

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

We got our first evening view of comet last night,, from 8:50-9:10pm.most spectacular yet in 9x63mm roof prism binoculars.We would have followed it to horizon if it werent for 97 degree temp with humidity. I think alot of people will be checking it for the next week or so.

• steve t, TerryWood, bremms and 2 others like this

#38 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:20 PM

Too cloudy last night, tonight may be a wash too.

• TerryWood likes this

#39 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

Too cloudy last night, tonight may be a wash too.

Ditto here!

:cloudy:

• steve t, TerryWood and rcwolpert like this

#40 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

Same here.

• TerryWood likes this

#41 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:59 PM

Here is an image from my post last night ..

Attached Thumbnails

• ##IMG_7826 b.jpg

• astro140, clamchip, steve t and 11 others like this

#42 GEC

GEC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

I used my Celestron Comet Catcher and binoculars to view it last evening for the first time for maybe half an hour before clouds came in.  Low in the northwest and not seen with the naked eye where I am.  It was more impressive in the 10x50 binoculars.  

cheers

#43 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:13 PM

Finally i observed the Comet NEOWISE using the Zeiss Telementor and the Zeiss Dekarem 10x50.  Definitively a binocular target.

I used my old Nikon D90 + 18-200mm to capture these images. 

Comet_NEOWISE_mini.png   Comet_NEOWISE_mini_2.png

It was one of the most rewarding sessions in my life. what a nice surprise!!

Carlos

• clamchip, TerryWood, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#44 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:30 PM

That’s a beautiful photo Terry! Always nice to see what a Genesis can do (and in this case in the hands of a skilled photographer!). I plan on taking mine when I go next week! I love my Genesis!

Thank you Terra (and everybody else for the "likes")! The Genesis is such a great all-arounder and the wide-field views are mesmerizing. My so called "photography" is always a work in progress and not technical at all, and sometimes I regress, so....But, I think this one came out alright. I hope I have another shot at it. The weather forecast is not looking that good. Hope you have fun and good luck with your Genesis Terra!

V/R

Terry

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#45 LarsJ

LarsJ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sycamore, IL

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:56 PM

Saw it tonight for the first time with the Selsi 247 80mm f11 and 11x70 Lunt Magnesium Series binos.  The view in the 247 with 25mm HD60 eyepiece was great, revealing the very bright head with a star-like nucleus.  Overall though, it is truly most spectacular in the binoculars.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#46 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:06 PM

Scope not yet but have seen it morning and now evening in my WW2 SARD 6x42s.  Really lovely binos for the Summer Milky Way too.

Dave

• Littlegreenman and steve t like this

#47 PawPaw

PawPaw

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:33 PM

Tonight turned out to be a surprise.  With cloud cover all day into the evening it was not looking good.  My wife invited her brother visiting from California (LA) to see the comet.....The plan was to have my Edmund RFT set up and a 80mm GOTO ready  to view including binoculars.  It was 80% cloud cover with dusk descending  when the Clouds started to disperse.    With thin cirrus clouds still present but breaking up Neo Wise made its appearance on time......At 9:10 I spotted it with my 10x50 binoculars and I excitedly called to them on the porch........Even through the thin cirrus clouds Neo Wise started its emergence dimly then with each passing few minutes it became more distinct.  To the left of the tree see it with the naked eye?  No....Oh yea there it is.....We watched for 45 minutes as it steadily grew in magnitude......Can you believe I forgot to bring out the scopes.......I doubted the clouds would disperse but we still  enjoyed the view and shared the moment.  I promised to have the scopes out tomorrow night setup and ready to catch some photons from this 6000 year old neighbor.  On the walk back to the house we stopped and noticed flashing on the horizon it encompased half the sky......A Thunderstorm some 125 miles away south of Joplin MO was lighting up half our sky with Comet Neo Wise in the north and horizon lightning to the south we could not have asked for a better night.    

• steve t, LarsJ, Piggyback and 1 other like this

#48 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

V/R

Terry

Wow! That’s beautiful, Terry! 

• TerryWood likes this

#49 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:00 AM

The comet can be observed with just about any telescopes, binos or even naked eyes not necessarily with a classic telescopes. It does not add more tails in a classic telescopes.

Maybe instead we should talk about how it looks in various scope designs, focal lengths or aperture. There is no design or standard called classic telescope.

#50 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:05 AM

The comet can be observed with just about any telescopes, binos or even naked eyes not necessarily with a classic telescopes. It does not add more tails in a classic telescopes.

Maybe instead we should talk about how it looks in various scope designs, focal lengths or aperture. There is no design or standard called classic telescope.

Well, there IS a thread for this comet in the General Observing forum, if you don't like classics...

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics