•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone viewed comet neo wise with their. Classic scope?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#51 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:08 AM

It did clear out here but by sunset and until around 11 pm we had a lot of high level clouds. We tried for Comet Neowise after dusk but it was lost in the scattered and reflected light from the Cincinnati light dome playing off a thin veil of cirrus clouds low in the northwest. Once the sky got darker and cleared it was too low. It should be higher and better placed by early next week. If it’s clear and not a lot of scatter I would have a perfect view from the backyard but this time of year we have a lot of haze. Hopefully a good night will occur next week.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#52 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:25 AM

The comet can be observed with just about any telescopes, binos or even naked eyes not necessarily with a classic telescopes. It does not add more tails in a classic telescopes.

Maybe instead we should talk about how it looks in various scope designs, focal lengths or aperture. There is no design or standard called classic telescope.

There are plenty of threads in this forum that discuss particular classic scopes, finding them, restoring them, and using them. I suggest you find one. This particular thread is about using classics to see the comet. 

Last night I had my classic 1940s Navy B&L 7x50s out. Whilst the comet was lost in the skyglow of the city, I did catch a very nice view of the ISS high above the eastern horizon (77°) and passing nearly overhead shortly after 10pm.

• oldmanastro, jcruse64 and AstroKerr like this

#53 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

I nabbed NEO last night with my vintage (1970s?) Selsi 20x60 Binoculars -- as it barely cleared a huge oak tree 2 blocks over.  Bigger & brighter than M3, with a short fan-tail.  Considering how close it was to our western LPD (Light Pollution Dome), I was happy with the view.  Once I had it, I could almost see it w/o aid -- one of those, I know there's something there, just at my old eye threshold.

• Martin, TerryWood, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#54 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:18 PM

I nabbed NEO last night with my vintage (1970s?) Selsi 20x60 Binoculars -- as it barely cleared a huge oak tree 2 blocks over.  Bigger & brighter than M3, with a short fan-tail.  Considering how close it was to our western LPD (Light Pollution Dome), I was happy with the view.  Once I had it, I could almost see it w/o aid -- one of those, I know there's something there, just at my old eye threshold.

We had a lot of cirrus development before and after sunset The city lights of Cincinnati (just to our northwest in the same direction as the comet) were scattered and reflected off the ice crystals to create a bright dazzle in the sky, washing out everything in that direction. Hopefully there will be better conditions here after Monday when a weak front pushes through. Then I will have a clear shot of the comet from my pick of places in my yard.

Edited by Terra Nova, 17 July 2020 - 12:19 PM.

• steve t and TerryWood like this

#55 GEC

GEC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:21 AM

I observed the comet in the comet catcher and a pair of US Navy Mk 30 Mod O 7x50 binoculars dated 1944 from about 9:45 PM to 10:15.  The comet appeared to me about a magnitude fainter than on July 15.  The visible tail was about 2.5 degrees long in the binocular and did not have the noticeably brighter edges that were visible on July 15.  It was not visible to the naked eye.  The weather was clearer than July 15 but the comet is in the light dome of the small town where I live.

Cheers

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#56 greenstars3

greenstars3

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:49 AM

I used my old (classic might be a stretch) Meade 8" f6 Starfinder GEM tonight and had good results. The scope has not seen much light lately, but I set it up in the back yard and had some friends over, still works great.

Robert

Edited by greenstars3, 18 July 2020 - 12:50 AM.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#57 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

I intended to observe NEOWISE with my Sears 6309 about 22:00 last evening, but the mosquitoes were evil and I decided that I wasn't going to take the time to set it up. Instead I used my Nikon 8x40 binos, the comet was easy once the sky darkened enough. It was very difficult with the naked eye. I only caught a few glimpses with averted vision.

Jupiter and Saturn were low in the south but bright and clear.

• Pete W and Defenderslideguitar like this

#58 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:46 AM

Sorry I am late to the thread. My daughter's son was born 5.5 weeks early and has just been released from  the NICU . He was born July 3rd as the Comet rounded back out from the sun. Primi lung development was another issue but   Our first grandchild Oliver is  now home and healthy and gaining weight .. we cannot see him really yet   and just once no closer than 8 feet away out on the patio nor can we hold him yet but   safe is the only way to fly on this   I can wait    Thrilled we are....but my reports and posts have been delayed

Saw the Comet for the first time Monday night at 9.40 using the B and L  1944 WW 2 Navy  7x50's  it was cool to see. Each night I drove to the higher elevated  farm area in Easton,CT, somewhat darker  with great 360 horizons and a few people were there with their children. I had the Vixen 80fl and the silvertop 26 mm.for the comet as well as other wide field eyepieces  but waiting for the comet    behind us Jupiter and Saturn  impressed the new observers.  With masks and sanitizers and keeping a distance away i am strictly in control and parents appreciate it. I have gloves,extra new masks, sprays and cleaners but there are only a few families.....Next night I brought the C-102fl on the Unistar  and two more pairs of binoculars to lend out and keep mine for me alone.

Nice to see all the classic binocular references   What classic binoculars do you like?  I also bring my 1984 Meade 11x80's on a tripod. Thursday was clouded out and last night there was only one other car there and  I helped a young dad and his 8 year old find the Comet lending them a different pair of 7x50's and keeping the WW2 binocs for me.

Clouds rolled in within 25 minutes....never did set up the 1979 C8.

I just bought a used revolution imager as I suspect it would be  a safer way to share the view   we shall see. On the phone I take calls from friends in Maine and Mass for advice on finding the comet  I find I like assisting folks on observing their darker skies and they have naked eye views immediately.

Challenging yet exciting times 

Barry

• davidmcgo, Pete W, DreamWeaver and 4 others like this

#59 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:46 AM

I don't know if this counts, but I observed neowise last night, naked eye, with my +60 year old eyessmile.gif 

It was in the deep evening twilight ~10 PM, near the front foot of Ursa Major. I was surprised at how bright it was, it had about a 2-3 degree tail.

• TerryWood, jcruse64 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#60 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

Sorry I am late to the thread. My daughter's son was born 5.5 weeks early and has just been released from  the NICU . He was born July 3rd as the Comet rounded back out from the sun. Primi lung development was another issue but   Our first grandchild Oliver is  now home and healthy and gaining weight .. we cannot see him really yet   and just once no closer than 8 feet away out on the patio nor can we hold him yet but   safe is the only way to fly on this   I can wait    Thrilled we are....but my reports and posts have been delayed

Saw the Comet for the first time Monday night at 9.40 using the B and L  1944 WW 2 Navy  7x50's  it was cool to see. Each night I drove to the higher elevated  farm area in Easton,CT, somewhat darker  with great 360 horizons and a few people were there with their children. I had the Vixen 80fl and the silvertop 26 mm.for the comet as well as other wide field eyepieces  but waiting for the comet    behind us Jupiter and Saturn  impressed the new observers.  With masks and sanitizers and keeping a distance away i am strictly in control and parents appreciate it. I have gloves,extra new masks, sprays and cleaners but there are only a few families.....Next night I brought the C-102fl on the Unistar  and two more pairs of binoculars to lend out and keep mine for me alone.

Nice to see all the classic binocular references   What classic binoculars do you like?  I also bring my 1984 Meade 11x80's on a tripod. Thursday was clouded out and last night there was only one other car there and  I helped a young dad and his 8 year old find the Comet lending them a different pair of 7x50's and keeping the WW2 binocs for me.

I just bought a used revolution imager as I suspect it would be  a safer way to share the view   we shall see. On the phone I take calls from friends in Maine and Mass for advice on finding the comet  I find I like assisting folks on observing their darker skies and they have naked eye views immediately.

Barry

Congratulations grandpasmile.gif  

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#61 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:53 AM

I intended to observe NEOWISE with my Sears 6309 about 22:00 last evening, but the mosquitoes were evil

A note on mosquitoes....................I have found that the old grandma advice of drinking tonic water actually helps.   Was advised that a friend's mother mentioned that she drinks tonic water  (sometimes with Vodka or Gin )   in the summer as the quinine repels them somewhat.  She told the history of the British in India using it to help against mosquitoes and fight malaria    not sure about the history but I have tried the tonic water and it seems to help... of course I have long pants.. long sleave shirts and the garlic is just out of the ground  and delicious    so grab the classic optics and dont let the skeeters stop you

• steve t, Terra Nova and PawPaw like this

#62 Pete W

Pete W

Messenger

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:09 AM

It was very difficult with the naked eye. I only caught a few glimpses with averted vision.

Jupiter and Saturn were low in the south but bright and clear.

In the backyard I got it in my 8x56 Swarovski SL porros with ease at 9:15 and in the Monolux 4380 60mm shortly after.  Tail was a few degrees long in the binos at 9:45.  The nucleus appeared nearly star like in the scope at about 30x. Occasional hints with the naked eye, but nothing certain.  If it’s clear tonight I’m gonna try a darker locale. 

Yep, looks like a comet.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#63 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

Barry

Congratulations on your new grandson Barry! You’re in for a real treat. Prepare for lots and lots of fun!

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#64 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Terra,

What a difference a year makes? 

So the extended family has nicked named Neowise   Oliver's comet and I do not object to that.

The comet     like the new grandson  is improving each night  

" Its getting better all the time"

Lennon/McCartney 1967

p.s. Is this when the classic scope collecting gets a brand new justification? like:

"I was going to sell that Vixen but I might want my grandson to have it someday"

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 18 July 2020 - 09:58 AM.

#65 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Terra,

What a difference a year makes? 

It sure does and I am still bumbed about not getting to go to Stellafane next month! That is the big Astro and Astro-Friends activity that I look forward to every year. Oh well, hopefully we will see you up there next year, ‘God willin’ and the creek don’t rise!’

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#66 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:14 AM

Barry

I’ve really been enjoying my classic bonocs a lot this year! (Binolux 7x35 UWA with 11° FOV, 8 x40 Sears Tower, 7x50 WWII B&L, and Shrine-Manon 16x50s.) At some point I still want to get a pair of classic Zeiss Jena 10x50 Dekarem or Dekaris and Classic Zeiss Oberkochen (West Germany)15x60s. That would complete my collection and make me one very happy camper (and binocular observer).

• Corcaroli78, steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#67 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:23 AM

Go for it       Binoculars can be so under rated     I always have a basic pair in the trunk of my cars     Yes  Bummed about Stellafane as well       miss you guys    Going out tonight for the comet  and everything else after the Comet sinks     

#68 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

Go for it       Binoculars can be so under rated     I always have a basic pair in the trunk of my cars     Yes  Bummed about Stellafane as well       miss you guys    Going out tonight for the comet  and everything else after the Comet sinks     

Wow Barry, I took your advice just now and lucked out! ! I just fulfilled half my binoculars wish list. I took a quick look at eBay and found myself a pair of Carl Zeiss Dekarem 10x50 Multi-coated Binoculars and original case (Jena/DDR) in Excellent condition! They’ll be here before month’s end! I’d been looking for some time for a nice pair of these but hadn’t checked eBay recently! Now that’s lucky!

PS, I never ever go out observing, comet or otherwise, home or remote site, without a pair of binoculars. They are my main way of locating an object before zeroing in on it with a telescope, and always have been. And since I got my cataract surgery last summer with the new, infinity-focused, zero-astigmatism toric lenses, I’ve enjoyed my binoculars so much more!

• Littlegreenman, Corcaroli78, steve t and 1 other like this

#69 JonTeets

JonTeets

Ranger 4

• Loc: In a light patch

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:19 PM

It looked OK in my Goto last week.  Also not bad in my '61 Q3.5.  Better still in my old Zeiss binos. 

Best by far with naked eyes (about the same vintage as the Q) under "dark" skies last night.  Ok, with glasses.   I had the kid out, those young eyes of hers picked it out before mine did and I knew where to look.   She got to see the Milky Way for the first time last night, so it was rather a great outing.   She was happy as a clam so I didn't tell her that it looks a lot better than a gentle cloudy haze under genuinely dark skies.   It was much better than our back yard where I've struggled to see the comet naked-eye with averted vision.  

Edited by JonTeets, 18 July 2020 - 01:43 PM.

#70 JonTeets

JonTeets

Ranger 4

• Loc: In a light patch

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

Wow Barry, I took your advice just now and lucked out! ! I just fulfilled half my binoculars wish list. I took a quick look at eBay and found myself a pair of Carl Zeiss Dekarem 10x50 Multi-coated Binoculars and original case (Jena/DDR) in Excellent condition! They’ll be here before month’s end! I’d been looking for some time for a nice pair of these but hadn’t checked eBay recently! Now that’s lucky!

PS, I never ever go out observing, comet or otherwise, home or remote site, without a pair of binoculars. They are my main way of locating an object before zeroing in on it with a telescope, and always have been. And since I got my cataract surgery last summer with the new, infinity-focused, , I’ve enjoyed my binoculars so much more!

Glad to hear about your eyes!  I keep thinking I should just bite the bullet and get the astigmatism corrected rather than go from one pair of glasses to the next which never quite do it.  Is there a thread with your details?  I'll go hunting if so.  I miss the quality experiences with my old Celestron binos.  

#71 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

Glad to hear about your eyes!  I keep thinking I should just bite the bullet and get the astigmatism corrected rather than go from one pair of glasses to the next which never quite do it.  Is there a thread with your details?  I'll go hunting if so.  I miss the quality experiences with my old Celestron binos.  

I‘ve mentioned it in various threads, no separate thread. It was vary worthwhile tho. I do need reading glasses all the time now tho. I didn’t before. But I opted for distance focus tor telescope and binocular viewing, going to the movies, watching TV, and driving without glasses.

• steve t, ANM and JonTeets like this

#72 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:09 PM

Took the Pentax 85 out to look at it last night. The mosquitos were thick, so I had on a rain shell with a hood and some repellant, which made it hot and sticky. 

Best with the 32mm Plossl -- about 33X and 1.6* FOV. The coma was nice and bright, and the tail crossed the field, but only with averted vision. It was better with the 7x50 binoculars (Fujis from early 80s), showing tail about half the width of the 7.5* FOV. 

After about 40 minutes, my glasses were fogging and the tube was starting to drip, so I called it a night and started packing the scope in. I like the one-handed carry aspect of the 85mm f12 size. I'm not sure the 100 would be as easy. After taking in the OTA, I used the mount as a brace for a 5s shot with my phone. Pretty noisy, but reasonably sharp.

NEOWISE iPhone - 1.jpg

Cataract surgery is great. Incredibly easy and immediately beneficial. I had it done about 10 years ago due to retinal detachments in each of my eyes, about 2 years apart (the corrective surgery induces dense cataract within a year). At the time, the toric lenses were still somewhat new, and pretty expensive, so I went with the regular ones. Because I was so nearsighted, the first one was done at reading distance (which was still much longer), so then the second one is at infinity. Kind of nice to be able to just take off my glasses for reading. 

Chip W.

• steve t, TerryWood, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#73 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

Took the Pentax 85 out to look at it last night. The mosquitos were thick, so I had on a rain shell with a hood and some repellant, which made it hot and sticky. 

Best with the 32mm Plossl -- about 33X and 1.6* FOV. The coma was nice and bright, and the tail crossed the field, but only with averted vision. It was better with the 7x50 binoculars (Fujis from early 80s), showing tail about half the width of the 7.5* FOV. 

After about 40 minutes, my glasses were fogging and the tube was starting to drip, so I called it a night and started packing the scope in. I like the one-handed carry aspect of the 85mm f12 size. I'm not sure the 100 would be as easy. After taking in the OTA, I used the mount as a brace for a 5s shot with my phone. Pretty noisy, but reasonably sharp.

attachicon.gifNEOWISE iPhone - 1.jpg

Cataract surgery is great. Incredibly easy and immediately beneficial. I had it done about 10 years ago due to retinal detachments in each of my eyes, about 2 years apart (the corrective surgery induces dense cataract within a year). At the time, the toric lenses were still somewhat new, and pretty expensive, so I went with the regular ones. Because I was so nearsighted, the first one was done at reading distance (which was still much longer), so then the second one is at infinity. Kind of nice to be able to just take off my glasses for reading. 

Chip W.

They are still pretty costly. My insurance paid for tests, surgery, and would pay for regular lenses but I really wanted the toric to get rid of the astigmatism I had in both eyes. It was $2000 per eye out of pocket for them.

• steve t and TSSClay like this

#74 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:40 PM

We’re trying to get out to our Utah property to check up on it since my wife’s field archaeology class was cancelled this year. And  I’m trying to be the renaissance ready to see the comet from a dark sky. I don’t have the carton mount ready yet, so I’m dusting off my super Polaris with the gotonova kit on it. Here, I’m using the cheap rings to allow me to piggyback my omd em5ii on it. They’re not super stiff, so probably this Monica 135mm lens is all it’ll support. But I do have a nice bar I can put on the mount in place of the scope to hold the camera. More of a beefy sky tracker mount that way. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 476B08F5-04CB-4F0C-92AC-3A6B6B20E482.jpeg

• steve t, TerryWood, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#75 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:49 PM

I plugged it in and it works! Embarrassingly, the goto nova was set at 2013, so I havent used it in 7 years!

• ANM likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics