•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone viewed comet neo wise with their. Classic scope?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#126 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

Went out Friday and last night, but unfortunately high clouds hid the comet both nights. 

• Marc-Andre and Terra Nova like this

#127 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:24 AM

Went out Friday and last night, but unfortunately high clouds hid the comet both nights. 

Steve, we lucked out Friday night over here on this side of the river (I’m southeast of Cincy). Not a cloud in the sky the whole time I was out (‘till past midnight). I guess I was rewarded for perseverance after the rain and clouds every night for the preceding week. Last night was another story! High cirrus, cirrocumulus, and I suspect some cirrostratus after dark along with worse humidity and consequently much worse skyglow. I can’t complain too much tho, at least I could see it, even if I couldn’t see the tail.

• steve t likes this

#128 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:34 AM

Where  is the comet in the sky?  SO no one knows where it is?

Edited by CHASLX200, 26 July 2020 - 03:09 PM.

#129 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

Steve, we lucked out Friday night over here on this side of the river (I’m southeast of Cincy). Not a cloud in the sky the whole time I was out (‘till past midnight). I guess I was rewarded for perseverance after the rain and clouds every night for the preceding week. Last night was another story! High cirrus, cirrocumulus, and I suspect some cirrostratus after dark along with worse humidity and consequently much worse skyglow. I can’t complain too much tho, at least I could see it, even if I couldn’t see the tail.

We've been lucky regarding clear skies in our part of OH, but it also means we're in a mild drought conditions. Most of the rain seems to head south towards Cincinnati. I'd happily give up a few night/days of observing for a of a good soakersmile.gif (my other hobby is gardening)

#130 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:16 AM

We've been lucky regarding clear skies in our part of OH, but it also means we're in a mild drought conditions. Most of the rain seems to head south towards Cincinnati. I'd happily give up a few night/days of observing for a of a good soakersmile.gif (my other hobby is gardening)

Yes, we have had so much rain last week. Heavy downpours, sometimes several a day.

• steve t likes this

#131 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

Last night it was well placed. It’s getting higher, but further away. We had passing high clouds and a lot of backscatter of light from the city North of me. Unlike the night before when viewing with my 20x80 binoculars, last night I couldn’t discern the tail, even tho I was using almost double the aperture, nor was it as bright due to the poorer atmospheric conditions for viewing. I could detect the very slight bluish-green color tho. I’ll continue to follow it on its outward bound journey as long as weather and visibility permit.

The high haze/clouds here interfered some, but by the time it descended to the tree line, about 10:30, I was able to pick it up with eye's only. I estimated the tail to be about 2* Friday night in 7x50 binoculars, but last night I could only trace it for about 1/2* in the 10" f6 at 47x.  

• steve t, Terra Nova and Piggyback like this

#132 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:48 AM

The high haze/clouds here interfered some, but by the time it descended to the tree line, about 10:30, I was able to pick it up with eye's only. I estimated the tail to be about 2* Friday night in 7x50 binoculars, but last night I could only trace it for about 1/2* in the 10" f6 at 47x.  

That confirms my view as well. It’s definitely fading as it gets further from us. I’ll try again tonight but the weather isn’t promising. Already hot, humid, and hazy with big tall cumuliform clouds building. If the convection keeps up we might get enough vertical mixing to clear up the haze but that’s doubtful as an air quality alert is in effect from this afternoon until midnight. And if the cumulus congestus build into full-fledged cumulonimbus, there’ll be so much cirrus outflow from the tops to ruin viewing. We’ll have to wait and see.

• steve t, Marc-Andre and Piggyback like this

#133 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:48 AM

Viewed Neowise last night with my trusty Telementor 1. Much fainter now! Lots of high clouds, unsteady air and moon adding to sky brightness. ISS made an overpass at 23:35 local which was nice. Tripod mounted Canon G5X in "Starmode".

Attached Thumbnails

• Neowise Taunusstein 26.07.2020_02_red.jpg

• Corcaroli78, steve t, Marc-Andre and 7 others like this

#134 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:40 AM

I guess no one wants to tell me.

#135 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:12 AM

Find it below the big dipper. See image above. Hope that helps.

#136 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:16 AM

Seems to be right about sunset for me. Big tree in that area. I got some binocs so will give it a shot.

#137 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:26 AM

Watched it briefly last night, and definitely much fainter for my area. Can no longer see it naked eye after locating it in the binos. Still a nice view though.

• Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and Piggyback like this

#138 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:04 AM

Good bye Neowise.

We will miss you!

You have been a great ride.

Now you are passing into oblivion.

See you again in 6800 years.flowerred.gif

The comet is so dim now that my wife and I couldn´t see it yesterday.

It was still great looking in old trusty, my homebuilt Zeiss C 80/500mm achromat "comet catcher"

I found inspiration in the many challenges it threw at us.

Catching a glimpse of the curved tail not easy.

Escaping light pollution always a challenge.

Please note: Comet should be visible on all my images. Small screen devices may pose a challenge.

Neowise Taunusstein 28.07.2020_01red.jpg

Neowise Taunusstein 27.07.2020_07red.jpg

Neowise Taunusstein 27.07.2020_05ared.jpg

• bill7342, Pete W, Corcaroli78 and 6 others like this

#139 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:59 AM

I got a nice view of comet Neowise with my 18 y.o. Oberwerk 12x60 binoculars shortly after 10PM EDT last night. I couldn’t see it naked eye but it’s easy to see in the binoculars. I’m certain that I could detect a faint tail extending one to two degrees from the coma. I was able to watch it until after 11PM when it descended low enough to be lost in the urban sky glow to my northwest. A cool front went through less than 24 hours earlier and we were blessed with lower humidity and significantly less haze and consequently little light scatter and much better transparency. That helped a great deal in being able to get such a good look at Neowise, which was much better than the views I had last Saturday and Sunday night (it was cloudy and raining Monday evening).  

• Martin, steve t, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#140 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Sputnik

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:16 PM

I am able to see it from my backyard now. Its finally above the tree at twilight and it looks good in my 10x65mm 90degrree binos they are quite heavy navy binoculars and tripod mounted. The tail looked to be about 1 degree two nights ago but the moon was working against it. While its leaving our neck of the solar system the comet gave me something good to observe for sure and i now genuinely look forward to mars at opposition this fall! 

• Marc-Andre, Terra Nova, Piggyback and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics