•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Several objects taken by a smartphone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cqyfh

cqyfh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

Hi guys! Since these days almost all cameras are in backorder, I wanna show you guys something a smartphone can do!

Telescope: Celestron Edge HD 800 with Cgem ii
Camera: Huawei P30 pro

Date: July 4th and July 7th

Position: Troy, NY

First, some solar system objects:

1. Moon.
The upper left of the moon seems a bit red, perhaps because I took this picture when the partial penumbral eclipse happened on July 4th in NY state.
A smartphone is really good enough for a one-shot moon.

7.jpg

2. Jupiter and Saturn
The edge HD 800 should do much better. The most important drawback is that the smartphone will process the video automatically, especially it smooth the image. So actually even I stacked a 2 min video, I didn't get much more details compared with a one-shot image.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3. Mars

Mars is really a small object so I am happy with this results!

3.jpg

4. Maybe Pluto

This is the most exciting picture I got. I check my result with stellarium and I think it's much likely I got the Pluto! It's a 10s exposure image and you can see the edge of the eyepiece clearly.

5.jpg

Then, I tried some easy deep sky objects, The most painful thing without a guiding camera is that you cannot adjust your seeting timely such as the focusing and position. So, mostly I got these pictures based on guessing lol! But it's really beyound my expectation for a one-shot result.

1.  Hercules Globular Cluster (M13)

4.jpg

2. Ring Nebula (M57)

6.jpg

After a 30s exposure, the stars are elongated. I think that's because I had already observed with a no guiding cgem ii over 3 hours.

That's all what I got with a smartphone and I hope all you guys can have a good time with the night sky even with simply rigs~

This is my first posting and hope you enjoy it! Thank you for reading!

• Olhado, ANM, jeremiah2229 and 1 other like this

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

I like the M57 image best - shows nicely what modern phones can do even with astro imaging.

But it's no wonder you get trailing without autoguiding with 30 s exposure @ 2000 mm.

Jupiter, it looks like out of focus - why it looks soft.

Pluto, I'm not sure if that's Pluto - looks bright with only 10s exposure (certainly not any of its moons).

#3 Stellar1

Stellar1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:15 PM

Dayum, thats amazing for a phone! M57 shows colour and, what seems to be central star, i'm actually a bit knocked over by these, would never have thought DSO's possible with a phone.

#4 cqyfh

cqyfh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:24 PM

I like the M57 image best - shows nicely what modern phones can do even with astro imaging.

But it's no wonder you get trailing without autoguiding with 30 s exposure @ 2000 mm.

Jupiter, it looks like out of focus - why it looks soft.

Pluto, I'm not sure if that's Pluto - looks bright with only 10s exposure (certainly not any of its moons).

When I check the original video, I found the smartphone smooth the noise automatically, which shows much more like mosaics. I think that is the most important drawback and almost all smartphones won't be able to store raw data (insufficient space or no such function).

As for the Pluto, I hope it is but I don;t know either lol~

#5 cqyfh

cqyfh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

Dayum, thats amazing for a phone! M57 shows colour and, what seems to be central star, i'm actually a bit knocked over by these, would never have thought DSO's possible with a phone.

Yes, me too! When I saw the faint M57, I just think since I cannot see it clearly, why not have a try. And it's really beyond my imagination. 

#6 Olhado

Olhado

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:07 PM

There is a great smartphone AP thread on this site (forget which forum), with lots of tips and examples. The Jupiter/Saturn ones can be cleaned up in post-processing.

Here's photos with an iPhone 8+ (3+ years old phone now), using a smartphone adapter, but video on an alt-az mount and a 15-year-old 80mm ED doublet.

Original, just stacked, like yours:

get.jpg?insecure

Then the same image with wavelet processing in registax 6:

get.jpg?insecure

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics