•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Color Camera L-eNhance filter focusing and models

filters CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OcativeOrg

OcativeOrg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

Can anyone advise me on what most people do who image with a color camera (ASI ZWO 1600)

I just purchased an L-eNhance filter and it is amazing. The problem has been I needed to remove it to get enough stars to register for Software Bisque's T Point to work. I methodical about checking everything for dust before I go out. If I have to open the optical chain to install the filter it is difficult not to get some dust on it. I blew it off with air before I put it in the field but I still got dust motes - yes I hope my flats line up and take care of them. 

I plan to move to a mono camera in a few months, but for now, what do others do to keep their optical chain clean when they have to open it? 

Thank you 

Clear Skies

Joe

#2 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Apollo

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

Yes it is a problem as I have been testing several filters.  Best advice is bring the cam indoors, wipe down a table or a flat surface you can work on, keep the filter in its case and be as quick as you can when removing / replacing and yes I would use a clear filter (dust blocker) if possible.  

To re-clean a contaminated filter, sensor glass lens or the sensor is hard.  I have used high pressure air, IPA and lint free wipes, and I keep new / clean micro fiber cloths close at hand to wipe down the optical surfaces quickly if needed.  Some times I need to do all three things...Good Luck...Pat Utah

P.s.  A few weeks ago I found a hard to remove dust mote on the sensor (black dot, not a donut), took 3 tries to finally get it off...it was frustrating...

Edited by Alien Observatory, 07 July 2020 - 04:39 PM.

#3 P_Myers

P_Myers

Vendor (Optical Structures)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

Purchase a Filter Drawer assembly to use filters with the Optical train assembly.

You thread the mounted filter into the filter slider.... the filter slider in turn gets "dropped" within the filter drawer which is threaded within the Optical Train Assembly.
  • Alien Observatory likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: filters, CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics