•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C90 needs some TLC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: El Paso, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol system, Orion-Cygnus arm, Milkyway

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:36 PM

I recently bought a C90 Astro and sometimes it seems like the motor can't keep the C90 following the stars. I would guess that I need to disassemble the mount base, clean and relube the bearing surfaces. Is there a writeup on doing that somewhere? If I take the nut off the polar axle and pull the base apart are gears and springs and wheels going to go bouncing everywhere?

#2 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:40 PM

Do you have the counterbalance weights for the tube when it is mounted in polar mode? If not, that may be why the tracking is struggling.
  • ANM and kathyastro like this

#3 houndsbourgh

houndsbourgh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hailey, Idaho

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

I agree. Without the counterweights its quite an uneven load on the drive.

• ANM likes this

#4 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:49 PM

Do you have the counterbalance weights for the tube when it is mounted in polar mode? If not, that may be why the tracking is struggling.

I agree. Without the counterweights its quite an uneven load on the drive.

Yes I do have them and they are on the scope but with my messing around I've shifted the balance — I have to come up with a work-around. I think it will be ok if I can shift the weights rearward by a few inches. I'd still like to be able to pull the base apart and make sure it's all clean and lubed.

#5 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

I need to achieve a better balance with the C90, but I think the problem I'm seeing is a bad connection where the power cable plugs into the base. I have a second cable so I'll swap them and try my tests again.

#6 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

Yes! The eratic operation of the drive was due to the power cable. I swapped it with one from another telescope and I am not seeing the problem! The balance still needs to be corrected...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics