•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StellarMate with PHD2 Guiding

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:35 PM

I've been using KStars/EKOS with the StellarMate OS on a Raspberry Pi for the past few weeks.  There's quite a learning curve with KStars/EKOS, but I'm starting to like the package.  However, I'm not entirely crazy about their internal guiding software and would like to take advantage of the option to use PHD2 instead.  Has anyone done this?  What version of PHD2 will run on StellarMate OS?  Or do you have to run it on a remote Mac/PC?

Thanks!

Ron

#2 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:12 PM

Hi Ron, If your StellarMate is up to date, PHD2 should already be installed. To use it, you just need to create a new profile, and select PHD2 under external guider. Then you will launch both applications. EKOS should be running and connected to your equipment. Once you start PHD2 it will attempt to make a new profile. Select INDI for the connection to both your mount and guide camera. Once done, you’ll build a dark library, and be ready to go. Each time you want to use PHD2 for guiding, you need to use this profile, and make sure both applications are launched and connected. EKOS will inform PHD2 to calibrate, guide, and dither. If using it with the EKOS scheduler, it will recalibrate PHD2 after the meridian flip so that you can continue guiding all night long without intervention.

#3 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:12 PM

There is also an official StellarMate PHD2 setup video on the StellarMate YouTube channel.

#4 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:47 PM

There is also an official StellarMate PHD2 setup video on the StellarMate YouTube channel.

Wow... how did I miss it on the StellarMate desktop!  Thanks for pointing it out!

Ron

#5 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:56 PM

If the Stellarmate version works like the Mac version ( I use) then I have to make sure to start PHD2 and connect to the guide camera before starting EKOS/INDI.  Otherwise they fight for camera control.   Just a little undocumented 'feature' that caused me a lot of consternation.   

#6 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:38 PM

If the Stellarmate version works like the Mac version ( I use) then I have to make sure to start PHD2 and connect to the guide camera before starting EKOS/INDI.  Otherwise they fight for camera control.   Just a little undocumented 'feature' that caused me a lot of consternation.   

I think that’s only if you use a direction camera connection within PHD2. But if you want to dither, you need to allow EKOS to control PHD2. Just make sure PHD2 is set up to be used in your EKOS profile. And choose INDI connection within PHD2 for both your guide camera and mount. (EKOS will need to be started and connected for to the equipment for PHD2 to see it through the INDI connection).

#7 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

I think that’s only if you use a direction camera connection within PHD2. But if you want to dither, you need to allow EKOS to control PHD2. Just make sure PHD2 is set up to be used in your EKOS profile. And choose INDI connection within PHD2 for both your guide camera and mount. (EKOS will need to be started and connected for to the equipment for PHD2 to see it through the INDI connection).

The direct cam-mount connection and starting PHD2 first is the only way I've been able to get KSTARS/EKOS/INDI to work with PHD2.  PHD2 dithers and works just fine in this mode.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics