•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund Voyager focuser removal?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:20 PM

How does one remove the focuser from an Edmund Voyager? I have a grey one if that makes any difference. I’ve removed a nylon hex screw and it still doesn’t budge. Thanks!

#2 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

I have a red tube model and was unable to get the focuser body off.

Dave

#3 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

I have another scope as well whose focuser is “glued” on and that even has three screws attaching it. It is astonishing the range of focus this has. I had wanted to repair a dent in the tube, but with little access.....

#4 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

I inspected my red tube model today and removed the objective cell and  the rack and  pinion of the focuser but the focuser body itself looks to be pressed onto the OTA.  It could have glue but I see no residue looking inside from the objective end of the OTA.  I thought at first it was threaded on and gave put a fair amount of pressure on trying to unscrew it but now I am leaning toward it being pressed on.  However it is attached it certainly does not want to be removed. There really is no reason to remove it after inspection.   The Nylon hex screw is designed to apply tension to the rack it does not hold the rack in.  

To remove the rack/focusing tube you have to loosen/remove the allen screw on the right hand focusing knob (looking from the back toward the objective.  Only the right hand knob has the allen screw.  Pull the knob (mine took some force) out of the pinion gear and then slide the pinion out.  Make sure you remove the objective as the rack itself will fall out whichever way it is aimed. Keep it horizontal if you can mine hit the carpet but no damage done.  waytogo.gif

Edited by PawPaw, 08 July 2020 - 04:25 PM.

#5 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:21 PM

Lol! Took mine apart pretty much the same way late last night. Both my knobs have set screws. Also could not untwist. My focus tube has a set screw to hold an eyepiece and that would have prevented the tube from falling inwards. I did remove cell prior just to clean. Looks like I have some cementing issues. Not huge, and still quite useable. I’m surprised how close this will focus! About three feet. Thanks for taking the time!

• PawPaw likes this

#6 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

I stopped short of putting mine in the vice!  This was the first time I took a flashlight and really looked inside......The focuser mount is definitely well built.  I still want to know how they mounted it to the OTA.  In the meantime I will enjoy the views. 

#7 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:50 PM

Actually heard a “pop” in my wrist and stopped trying. Either it was going to get broken or I was. I wanted neither!

#8 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

FYI the nylon set screw isn’t ideal for setting drag and can make it feel rough and might wear the pinion and rack more.  There are spring washers between the knobs and then some nylon washers, then the housing.  Squeeze the knobs together while tightening the knob back to the pinion wire.  Also, tiny bit of grease on the nylon washers.  Moves like butter that way.

Dave

• PawPaw likes this

#9 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:57 AM

Mine had one washer. It is impressive how solid the build is!

#10 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:22 AM

Wow    glad mine does not need to be removed at this time

good read though

b

#11 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:38 PM

If it’s a press-fit, don’t muck with it. They are not meant to come apart.

#12 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:14 PM

Oh, I’ve stopped. The dent can stay. It’s not perfect by any means, so no need to spend more time than it’s worth. While the lens is sharp, it does have some cementing issues on one side. It certainly doesn’t even come close in condition to yours Barry. Interesting, I looked up some stuff on Edmunds website and they still make the objective. Over $200. Even prisms for the image erector are almost $300. What I thought was about three feet, is really just under eight with a 20mm. Thanks for all your interest, but I’m good with the way it is at this time!

Attached Thumbnails

• 541D99F8-7160-46AE-8730-75E68A5F9223.jpeg

• PawPaw likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics