•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cygnus Loop in Ha/RGB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jeff.bottman

jeff.bottman

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:29 PM

I've been working on expanding and improving my PixInsight skills.  This image combines 3 1/2 hours Ha and 1.2 hours RGB data.  I used the arcsinhStretch process to retain star colors in the RGB data, then StarNet to decompose into star / starless views.  Extracted the blue and green channels from starless, and channel-combined with the red channel from StarNet starless Ha data, yielding a nice starless nebula image.  Then used PixelMath to sum the colorful stars-only data with the composite nebula data.  Worked pretty well.

AstroTech AT65EDQ scope, modified Nikon D750 camera, guided iOptron SmartEQ+ mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• combined_3_1150.jpg

• Starman27, piaras, elmiko and 14 others like this

#2 wizbang396

wizbang396

Lift Off

• ****-

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

Looks pretty good.  

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

That's a very nice image and thanks for posting.

But, I'm seeing a VERY slight red bias to some of the smaller background stars. It might just be the reproduction ratio and the JPEG compression, but in some areas the very smallest stars seen to be too warm in color (and I don't think I'm confusing the faint background nebula with the tiny stars).

When I have this kind of "look" I often apply a VERY mild color noise reduction using Photoshop and that pretty much neutralizes the red bias.

That said, the star color is generally very good and you've recorded a lot of the faintest nebulosity. A very fine image overall.

#4 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Aurora

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:45 AM

I've been working on expanding and improving my PixInsight skills.  This image combines 3 1/2 hours Ha and 1.2 hours RGB data.  I used the arcsinhStretch process to retain star colors in the RGB data, then StarNet to decompose into star / starless views.  Extracted the blue and green channels from starless, and channel-combined with the red channel from StarNet starless Ha data, yielding a nice starless nebula image.  Then used PixelMath to sum the colorful stars-only data with the composite nebula data.  Worked pretty well.

AstroTech AT65EDQ scope, modified Nikon D750 camera, guided iOptron SmartEQ+ mount.

Awesome.

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:48 AM

absolutely wonderful, the colors, the details wow, bravo and thank you.

#6 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:44 AM

I think your processing technique is successful. Keep up the good work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics