•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ieq 30 mount not working with PHD@

mount
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 elsmain

elsmain

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:37 PM

Trying to setup PHD2 using an Ioptron IEQ30 mount.  I'm struggling to make it work.

1.  Not sure if I have found the right driver for the Mount setting under Connect Equipment.  Using: "IOptron ASCOM Driver for 2013 and earlier mounts" and also trying "ZWO USBST4 ASCOM" for my ZWO guiding scope.  The ZWO driver at least lets me "connect" - but i'm not sure what i'm connecting...  I have also tried the "on camera" setting which has also let me "connect".

2.  Regardless of driver and whether it connects, I keep getting the error that the mount does not accept the pulse-guide command and the program fails and closes.

I'm new at this and at a complete loss.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks, Eric

#2 mehdymo

mehdymo

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:23 AM

You have to choose which method you wanna use, ASCOM or ST4. ASCOM would be better and easier. You need a cable to connect your mount directly to your PC. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B07HL9Y23B

Install Ioptron ASCOM and your camera driver (no need for ST4). Then, use this cable and plug it into the RS232 port on your mount and connect it to your PC usb port. After that, you can find them in PHD2 easily.

It would be easier to help if you explain how you are connected to your PC.

Thanks

Edited by mehdymo, 08 July 2020 - 12:26 AM.

#3 mehdymo

mehdymo

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:28 AM

See page 38 of the manual for both Pro and non-Pro versions.

#4 elsmain

elsmain

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:27 AM

Trying to setup PHD2 using an Ioptron IEQ30 mount.  I'm struggling to make it work.

1.  Not sure if I have found the right driver for the Mount setting under Connect Equipment.  Using: "IOptron ASCOM Driver for 2013 and earlier mounts" and also trying "ZWO USBST4 ASCOM" for my ZWO guiding scope.  The ZWO driver at least lets me "connect" - but i'm not sure what i'm connecting...  I have also tried the "on camera" setting which has also let me "connect".

2.  Regardless of driver and whether it connects, I keep getting the error that the mount does not accept the pulse-guide command and the program fails and closes.

I'm new at this and at a complete loss.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks, Eric

mehdymo - Thank you for your help.  I actually have the cord you linked to.  I think there may be a problem with the IOptron Driver since I kept getting the error that the mount does not accept pulse-guide control, which I'm pretty sure this mount will work with a guide setup.  So I have reinstalled the driver and will try again setting up the equipment in PHD2 with the new drivers and see if that works.

thank you again for your help!!!  Much appreciated.

• mehdymo likes this

#5 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:38 AM

Make sure you have installed the ASCOM platform software first.  Then install the iOptron ASCOM drivers.

Once you've done that, turn on the scope with the cable from it connected to your computer.

The iOptron ASCOM drivers will also install a program called "Commander".  Find that and run it.

It will connect to your mount (if possible), and give you most of the hand controller abilities from your computer.

If it can't connect, then PHD2 won't be able to connect to the mount, either.  So check your COM ports, your cables, your drivers, etc. and get Commander so it can connect to and control the mount.

Once that's done, just choose the iOptron ASCOM driver in PHD2, and it should work fine.

#6 mehdymo

mehdymo

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

You are welcome. One easy way to check if your mount is connected to PC correctly is to install Sky Chart from here:

https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start

After installation, you can run it and find the mount in the list and try to connect. It runs ioptron commander automatically and you can check the panel button to see it and check if you can move the mount. I assume you have already installed the ASCOM platform and mount ASCOM driver.

Thanks 

mehdymo - Thank you for your help.  I actually have the cord you linked to.  I think there may be a problem with the IOptron Driver since I kept getting the error that the mount does not accept pulse-guide control, which I'm pretty sure this mount will work with a guide setup.  So I have reinstalled the driver and will try again setting up the equipment in PHD2 with the new drivers and see if that works.

thank you again for your help!!!  Much appreciated.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics