•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Spectrum Instrument Response Correction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brownrb1

brownrb1

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:31 AM

Vega 06_29_2020_IR Curve_Alpy_jpeg.jpg Vega 06_29_2020_jpeg.jpg IR Curve_Alpy_jpeg.jpg

Hi,

I've been working on setting up the instrument response curve to apply to spectra that I get with my Alpy 600 with 3 mm hole, 10" Meade SCt with f/6.3 reducer, Atik Infinity monochrome camera, and RSpec data reduction. The intensity of the imaging camera's response to the wavelength of the spectum is not linear, so this will correct the profile for that response. Attached  uncorrected spectrum of Vega, spectrum of Vega with IR curve applied, and the IR curve for my set up.. 

Dick

• gustavo_sanchez likes this

#2 robin_astro

robin_astro

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:33 AM

The intensity of the imaging camera's response to the wavelength of the spectum is not linear, so this will correct the profile for that response. 

Dick

Remember though  the camera response is only one part of the system. The response of the grating, telescope and spectrograph optics and the wavelength dependent absorption of the atmoshere all affect the shape of the spectrum. Fortunately all these are also taken into account by recording the  star with a know spectrum.

Cheers

Robin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics