•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Berlebach planet tips: which ones?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 annoluce

annoluce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:58 AM

Friends,

I have just purchased a Berlebach Planet to be used with my AZEQ6.

I see the tripod comes with metal tips. I wonder what tip type should I use to optimize vibration damping. I know it depends on the terrain. I will use mainly on concrete.

I have the damping plastic pads from Celestron. Should I use the pads under the metal, spike tips of the tripod?

Should I substitute the metal tips with plastic round tips instead?

What about the metal carpet ground protectors Berlebach sells, which will accept the metal spike tips inserted in?

What are your best damping experiences?

Thanks!

Max

#2 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:36 AM

I would extra order this (not substitute) they add a small cost.

https://www.berlebac...=details&id=112

I don't have them because i put it Always on my little 'grassyard'

On pure concrete the originall pins will do fine but will scrath , put them on your garage floor a bad ideao imo, not for the pins but for the floor...

It are quite 'claws'

The tripod itself is really rock solid

You simply could also ask Berlebach , they can provide probably the best information

Attached Thumbnails

• CEM60.JPG

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 08 July 2020 - 05:39 AM.

• sunnyday likes this

#3 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:36 AM

I have used a Planet since 2017... I leave the pointy tips on all the time.

On a soft surface (grass or dirt) you should push the feet in firmly as deeply as they will go to minimise any movement of the tripod. Movement of the tripod translates as angular movement of your scope - and will degrade the pointing of GOTO mounts

On hard surfaces (concrete or asphalt) it’s perfect as-is; I doubt pads will help and quite probably make things worse, though note the pointy tips are hardened steel and they will scratch pretty much anything.

I also have the rubber feet - these are for places where you don’t want to risk scratching - eg a polished wooden floor, polished stone or tiles, perhaps a wooden balcony.

Can’t see the need for carpet protectors, unless you’re setting it up indoors for show.

Edited by luxo II, 08 July 2020 - 05:50 AM.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#4 annoluce

annoluce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:16 AM

I would extra order this (not substitute) they add a small cost.

https://www.berlebac...=details&id=112

I don't have them because i put it Always on my little 'grassyard'

On pure concrete the originall pins will do fine but will scrath , put them on your garage floor a bad ideao imo, not for the pins but for the floor...

It are quite 'claws'

The tripod itself is really rock solid

You simply could also ask Berlebach , they can provide probably the best information

Thanks a lot. I could consider ordering the plastic tips, even though I have to say I don't care of the concrete where I will place the tripod... it is made for this purpose.

I have used a Planet since 2017... I leave the pointy tips on all the time.

On a soft surface (grass or dirt) you should push the feet in firmly as deeply as they will go to minimise any movement of the tripod. Movement of the tripod translates as angular movement of your scope - and will degrade the pointing of GOTO mounts

On hard surfaces (concrete or asphalt) it’s perfect as-is; I doubt pads will help and quite probably make things worse, though note the pointy tips are hardened steel and they will scratch pretty much anything.

I also have the rubber feet - these are for places where you don’t want to risk scratching - eg a polished wooden floor, polished stone or tiles, perhaps a wooden balcony.

Can’t see the need for carpet protectors, unless you’re setting it up indoors for show.

Thanks a lot. In terms of pure vibration dampening so, the original metal "claws" are good? I mean, pinpoint surface means less rigidity to me. If I could have more standing surface... Such as the plastic "balls"...

What is your experience with the metal pointy tips and the dampening?

Max

#5 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern CA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:23 AM

I use the planet with the metal tips directly on paver stones. I want everything as rigid as possible for imaging.  The rubber tips do compress slightly under load which may translate to blurring at the OTA as it moves so I don’t use them.  During imaging mine is loaded with about 100 lbs of telescope, counterweights and camera.  I’ve never seen vibration or movement as a problem.   I store the mount/tripod indoors on a hardwood floor with blocks of wood under the spikes and it works fine. 

#6 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:48 AM

See the 'claws' of the Berlebach planetgrin.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• spikes.JPG

• sunnyday likes this

#7 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:34 AM

With the pointy tips on a hard surface there is no movement, no vibration. When you have the tripod in your hands you will realise these tips are quite substantial.

If anything photos do not do justice to this tripod - it is more substantial than it appears.

BTW get the double-clamp option - the photo above shows single clamps on the legs.

If you’re totally ocd the get the carbon-fibre version.

IMHO you are over-thinking this.

Edited by luxo II, 10 July 2020 - 05:40 AM.

#8 annoluce

annoluce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:38 AM

Ok guys, thanks. I took the double clamp version. should land in a couple of weeks. Can't wait...

I trust you. I will use the claws... As this tripod seems to be a panther!! :-D

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

Double clamps can hold 160 kg...even single clamps 120 kg,more then enough for me.

Indeed  the tripod is quite substancial.  At 11 kg still quite transportable though.

I used it several times now, rock solid, worth every euro i paid for it ...just great stuff

• Peter Natscher and Starman81 like this

#10 annoluce

annoluce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:41 AM

There are holes in the legs... Wonder if someone already tried to insert screws in it to act as a "secure" anti collapse... Seem to be made for this purpose.

#11 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Apollo

• Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:06 PM

I have a Planet tripod and love it.  I have my Mach1 mount on it and mount each of my AP 130EDFS and 155EDFS telescopes for observing.  Absolutely no damping time after hitting the end of the telescope!  I'm picky about focusing at high powers and don't like any focus jiggle.  Did you buy your tripod directly from Berlebach.de in Germany?   Reason I ask is that they offer many wood stain choices from their site.  If you buy from a US distributor (i.e., Astro-Physics), your choice is only natural color wood.  I am going to buy another Berlebach tripod from them shortly; a lighter-weight Uni 18 tripod with black stained wood for my 130EDFS. The 130EDFS is over-mounted with the Mach1 and the Planet. I'll also put a Losmandy GM-8G on the Uni 18.  Nice light-weight and still solid observing setup at 40lbs. for the 130EDFS.

Double clamps can hold 160 kg...even single clamps 120 kg,more then enough for me.

Indeed  the tripod is quite substancial.  At 11 kg still quite transportable though.

I used it several times now, rock solid, worth every euro i paid for it ...just great stuff

#12 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

Actually i bought it via Teleskope service in Germany because i ordered a CEM60 together with the Berlebach planet. TS had to order it from Berlebach directly. They don't keep it in stock

#13 annoluce

annoluce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

Guys,

I had 2 nights using the Planet and it performs flawlessly, metal tips on concrete work very well... No vibrations. And I mean, fully extended...

This tripod is a beast.

Max

• Agatha likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics