•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just when it was all going so well

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oise, France

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:32 AM

Oh what a beautiful, clear night last night. Lugged all the gear out and went to a local dark-er spot and set up, got the mount polar aligned and star aligned (sweet, everything is going well), slewed to a bright star to focus the scope, opened BYN and...

(insert critical stop chime here),

<<YOUR TRIAL VERSION OF BYN HAS EXPIRED...>>

"D-OHHHHH!!!" 

Ahhhh... I totally forgot that I was running a trial version of the software. gaah.gif

Alright, no big deal, I'll just go manual! But then for some reason the live view on my D5300 wasn't behaving, then I tripped on the leg of the mount pretty hard while fiddling with the camera... aaaand the dominos started falling from there, aaaand I was really starting to feel the Mountain Bike ride from earlier in the day...

so,

Command Decision Moment (while standing there quietly in the dark dimly illuminated by the laptop and being pelted by some unseen and oddly large bugs): 

"I'm out!"      Broke it all down, went home and went to bed before something bad happened. 

Guess what I did first thing in the morning? waytogo.gif

Edit: Typo

Edited by Hypoxic, 08 July 2020 - 05:52 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:39 AM

Likely the best decision was ti call it a day and retire inside. Have had nights like that, and usually after proble No 3 I realise it is not worth the probable addition of problem No 4 and 5.

Hope the first thing you did the next day was clean the mountain bike. That reads as the one thing not to have let you down so deserves a good clean and oil of the bits that need it.

• Ken Sturrock and ks__observer like this

#3 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:47 AM

Hope the first thing you did the next day was clean the mountain bike. That reads as the one thing not to have let you down so deserves a good clean and oil of the bits that need it.

Oh, that reminds me, Thanks!

Edit:

All clean and, in the words of Sam Pilgrim, “Ready to Smash!”

Had some funky gear to tend to as well, actually glad you said that, I would have probably forgotten. Funny how things work out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 90C6895A-8CAE-4292-A822-AE9F2304E9BE.jpeg

Edited by Hypoxic, 08 July 2020 - 11:04 AM.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:20 AM

You know, NINA is free and never has a trial that ends...

Just sayin'. :)

• md11spotter98 likes this

#5 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:26 PM

Or just pay the licence if the software does what it supposed to do...

#6 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:10 PM

When i come to think of it : AP is rather demanding,the slightest mishap, or mistake , ruines the night...

You really have to get organised, and even then 'some event' may surprise you...

#7 nimitz69

nimitz69

Vanguard

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:01 PM

Oh what a beautiful, clear night last night. Lugged all the gear out and went to a local dark-er spot and set up, got the mount polar aligned and star aligned (sweet, everything is going well), slewed to a bright star to focus the scope, opened BYN and...

(insert critical stop chime here),

"D-OHHHHH!!!" 
Ahhhh... I totally forgot that I was running a trial version of the software. gaah.gif

Alright, no big deal, I'll just go manual! But then for some reason the live view on my D5300 wasn't behaving, then I tripped on the leg of the mount pretty hard while fiddling with the camera... aaaand the dominos started falling from there, aaaand I was really starting to feel the Mountain Bike ride from earlier in the day...

so,

Command Decision Moment (while standing there quietly in the dark dimly illuminated by the laptop and being pelted by some unseen and oddly large bugs): 

"I'm out!"      Broke it all down, went home and went to bed before something bad happened. 

Guess what I did first thing in the morning? waytogo.gif

Edit: Typo

This is why i spent 6 months building an observatory in my backyard ... I applaud your stamina as one of the legions of “SUTD+T” imagers (set-up/tear-down + travel) but luckily I learned early on I couldn’t do that and took steps not to have to ..

Edited by nimitz69, 08 July 2020 - 07:02 PM.

#8 kathyastro

kathyastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

"D-OHHHHH!!!" 

I had that happen with SGP one time.  I was running the paid version, but then it prompted me to install an upgrade.  I did so, like any other upgrade.

If it notified me that this was a paid upgrade, I missed the notification.  A month later, it suddenly crapped out on me because my "free trial" had expired.  Fortunately, I was able to downgrade successfully, but I did lose that session.  And eventually, I paid up and re-upgraded.

#9 kisstek

kisstek

Viking 1

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

Oh what a beautiful, clear night last night.

and you didn't suspect that Murphy was luring you out so he could mess with you? smile.gif

When it's all going so well in AP, I start looking for meteors to land on my head or a sink hole opening up underneath me.

• Astrola72 and cosmo59 like this

#10 imtl

imtl

Viking 1

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:52 PM

I think the goal here was just to show us a picture of the mountain bikes :p :p :p

Are you putting them up on the classifieds? If so then let me know..... :) :) :)

#11 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

I totally get it - last weekend at the lake I was all ready to image and decided to better align my guidescope with my main telescope and turned the wrong screw on my SSAG and loosened the holder on the guide camera and it fell out onto the ground and broke

#12 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:55 PM

I think the goal here was just to show us a picture of the mountain bikes tongue2.giftongue2.giftongue2.gif

Are you putting them up on the classifieds? If so then let me know..... smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Can you imagine, in mid-downhill, “The trial version of your brakes has expired...” 

I totally get it - last weekend at the lake I was all ready to image and decided to better align my guidescope with my main telescope and turned the wrong screw on my SSAG and loosened the holder on the guide camera and it fell out onto the ground and broke

Oh man, that’s terrible! 

#13 imtl

imtl

Viking 1

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:25 AM

Can you imagine, in mid-downhill, “The trial version of your brakes has expired...” 

Oh man, that’s terrible! 

Yep...got me a week in the hospital..........

• Hypoxic likes this

#14 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:13 AM

Yep...got me a week in the hospital..........

BTW, not liking the fact that you were hospitalised, just that you were obviously hitting it hard. Hope it all mended well, we've all been there at some point.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics