•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to me, CG-4, Options?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fishook

fishook

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:17 AM

Hi, I have had this new mount for a couple of weeks, I had first light a week ago and the images were very nice, better than anticipated, I am downsizing from the C-6R the 150mm Yard Cannon, which was mounted on a CGEM.

I am having issues with the tripod, it's not at stiff as I would want, I would like to find a set of nice wooden legs, as opposed to metal, would like to keep down the weight, I have seen the articles about building a set, I just don't know if my carpentry skills are up to the challenge.

Also, the mechanism attaching the scope to the mount is starting to get a little loosey goosey, if I had tap and die sets, I might be able to manage, but I foresee failure down the road.

My plan is visual, the scope is a C-102, F/10, weighs 11 lbs?

It balances real nice, mount is smooth.

I have purchased the Orion single axis RA drive, and have ordered the polar scope for a cg-4.

This is a Synta clone of the CG-4?

Let's say, I wanted to upgrade the connection system, I would need a saddle, dovetails and rings?

I have a set of rings on the C6-R and they do not fall out like the ones on the C-102.

Let's suppose, I wanted to go up to a F/15 4" scope, what difference would it be for the saddle, dovetails and rings ?

Please ignore the white dust in the pics, my tarp is shedding, new tarp today...lol

Also, thoughts on an upgrade-able focuser, this is going to be my last setup, this is my grab and go, I would like to keep it simple and light.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Attached Thumbnails

• small1.jpg
  • small2.jpg
  • small3.jpg
  • small4.jpg
  • small5.jpg
  • small6.jpg
  • small7.jpg
  • small8.jpg
  • small9.jpg
  • small10.jpg

#2 doublevodka

doublevodka

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Wales, UK

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

These are really nice looking wooden tripods, but not cheap! https://www.berlebac...6&ansicht=liste

Although I've been looking at old surveyors wooden tripods for my old scope on similar shaky aluminium legs, some look like they could be adapted quite easily.... 

#3 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:35 AM

the actual Celestron CG-4 comes with 1.75" tubular stainless steel legs.  the tripods don't show up very often and the complete mounts disappear quickly on the used market.  what does come up more frequently is the CG-5 tripods with 2" legs but they would work with a CG-4 head no problem, just not so grab-n-go.  wood is probably the cheapest and most expedient, or an old surveyors tripod as Doublevodka stated above.  with the exception of the Vixen Hal 130 aluminum tripods, I think they are all wobbly (aluminum leg tripods).

#4 fishook

fishook

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

Hi,

What I am really looking for is basic information regarding the mount.

My plan is visual, the scope is a C-102, F/10, weighs 11 lbs, Jupiter, Saturn, Moon.

If I could upgrade the clumsy existing connection between the OTA and the mount, is there an  upgrade to a saddle, dovetails and rings?

Let's suppose, I wanted to go up to a F/15 4" scope, what difference would it be for the saddle, dovetails and rings ?

#5 John Carlini

John Carlini

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:19 AM

If I could upgrade the clumsy existing connection between the OTA and the mount, is there an  upgrade to a saddle, dovetails and rings?

It looks similar to my CG-4 but there are slight differences. My CG-4 has a Vixen-style shoe and flat areas on the side of the mount. My counterweights are slightly different as well. I'm not sure you can buy the Vixen shoe and haven't seen it for sale in Celestron parts but that would allow you to use different mounting plates and tube rings. However, I have seen the tube-style tripod base for sale on eBay and recommend you search them for parts. Photo of my CG-4 attached:

image.jpeg

• Terra Nova and skD1amond like this

#6 ray8ffx

ray8ffx

Sputnik

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:53 AM

Could this be the original CG-4 model?

Ray

#7 makeitso

makeitso

Messenger

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

I have a similar mounting plate on a different mount with tangent arms. What I did is bolted an aluminum channel on top, then bolted a vixen style saddle on that. In the picture below, you can see the channel. I have removed the saddle since I no longer use this mount. Maybe you could figure out a way to do that. I got the channel from Hone depot. Got the saddle off eBay. It’s actually a pretty nice saddle. You may or may not even need the channel. It give a place to bolt the saddle without modifying the existing mount. Easy to undo.

D8A1AF6E-44F8-4060-A0D8-9EE9EE02AFED.jpeg

A picture of the saddle I used. This saddle also fits perfectly on my porta mount.

2EBD1D9C-92BD-4181-9421-A29CECB03B28.jpeg

Here is a link to it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401886680992

Jack

#8 John Carlini

John Carlini

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

Your mount looks very similar to a Skywatcher EQ 3-2 mount.  It is equivalent to a Celestron CG-4 and made by the same manufacturer (Synta).  You may be able to find replacement parts from some Skywatcher vendors if you want to swap the saddle. Here is a photo of a Skywatcher EQ 3-2 variant that I found:

image.png

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics