•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO 294MC with Duo-band vs. multifilter imaging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 niktnowy

niktnowy

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:06 PM

Good day everyone.

Currently I am using ZWO 294MC with Optolong L-Pro or Optolong L-enhance.

I am wondering if there is any advantage of using narrow-band filters separately - Astromania 2" O-III Filter and Astromania 2" Narrowband NBPF Hydrogen-a 12nm Filter   with above mention camera?

Thank You

• Hobby Astronomer likes this

#2 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

You certainly can especially if the DSO has a lot of Ha but I can't think of any advantage of doing it. You just won't get the efficiency and resolution as compared to using a mono camera.   I had a 294 for a while and the L-eNhance filter is specifically designed for OSC cameras.  It should give you very nice images, especially on emission nebulae. 

• elmiko and niktnowy like this

#3 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

niktnowy,

In my opinion, you may not see much of a difference between the use of the Optolong L-enhance compared to the (separate use of the Astromania O-III and the Astromania Hydrogen-a. The only advantage in using the separate filters is that you can cleanly separate the two wavelengths for use in a false-color pallet like Hubble or HOO or similar. Shooting separate filters gives you two images each with a particular wavelength highlighted. The L-eNhance gives you both of the wavelengths in a single image which makes custom pallet processing more difficult (but not entirely impossible).

The Filters mentioned have the following pass-band widths:

Filter                   Oiii     Ha

Optolong L-eNhance       24 nM    10 nM

Astromania O-III          6 nM    --

Astromania Hydrogen-a    --       12 nM 

For Oiii, the Astromania Oiii filter will give you better contrast for the Oiii features you are imaging due to its narrower band-pass. It nicely isolates the Oiii wavelength better than the L-eNhance. However, for the Ha wavelength, the Astromania Ha actually has a slightly wider  band-pass. The difference is small enough that you will be unlikely to see any difference at all between the L-eNhance and Astromania Ha for Ha features in the image.

If Oiii targets are important to you, the Astromania Oiii may be worthwhile to have. The Astromania Ha just doesn't buy you enough to justify the purchase if you already have an L-eNhance.

John

Edited by jdupton, 09 July 2020 - 10:02 AM.

• niktnowy likes this

#4 niktnowy

niktnowy

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:39 AM

Thank you Umasscrew39 and jdupton. That was very educational. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics