•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What camera should I get for Planetary Imaging with the Celestron NexStar 4 SE?

astrophotography imaging cassegrain Celestron CMOS Maksutov planet
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstronomicalBirb

AstronomicalBirb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:17 PM

I am wanting to get a camera for planetary imaging to use with my NexStar 4SE. I'm thinking of getting the ZWO ASI224MC or the ASI290MC but I don't know which would be better or why they would be better. They are the same price. Also how would I mount it to my telescope? I want to use it with a barlow lens to magnify enough see the planets. For my mirrorless camera I use the T to MAK adapter thing.

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

I use a simple ASI120 one shot color.  QHY-5 is just as good.  Small sensor, but good results like this (C6)

RAmcb42l.jpg

Edited by petert913, 08 July 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#3 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

I think the ASI224MC would be good on your setup.  I had use the camera with a C6 and got good results with it.  

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:07 AM

I own a 4SE that I use as a grab & go. I also own an ASI224mc, which, given it is low budget, is a great planetary camera and quite good on narrow field DSOs. 

An issue is that the FOV of any small sensor camera is narrow and tracking on an SE4 isn't great. Holding your target in FOV might be quite challenging. But its a start, and the ASI224mc is quite versatile and likely to be suitable for your NEXT telescope, so there is an upgrade path.

Edited by Noah4x4, 09 July 2020 - 11:09 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, cassegrain, Celestron, CMOS, Maksutov, planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics