•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smartphone Imaging 101 - Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarMax

MarMax

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:04 PM

I need some advice and have some qualifying information. I'm familiar with the basics of photography but have been out out it for more than 30 years. I have just upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S10 so hopefully it has some capability I can use for very basic level astrophotography. I'm working with the Camera FV-5 and DeepSkyCamera apps. I do not plan to add tracking to my scope so this will limit my exposure times.

With these severe limitations I'd like some advice on how to approach some imaging, specifically on things like ISO and getting the best tracking out of the mount. I'm hopeful that by dialing in the tracking I can take up to 5 second exposures. This may be on the opportunistic side. Is there and ISO limitation where things are just so grainy it's not worth trying? My range is 50 to 3200 and I've not tried anything higher than 200 so far.

I have the Celestron NexYZ and a generic mount for the phone. I'm buying a 25mm Kellner that I'm hoping to modify and fit in the generic mount. The NexYZ works on some but not all of my lenses (some are too big for it to mount on). The generic mount seems more solid (less gizmos to flex, etc.) but my only option with it will the the 25mm (112x).

So some more questions are:

- what will 25mm get me and is there a different magnification that's best for the S10

- should I always image w/o the 2" diagonal

- should I try an f/6.3 focal reducer

- should I never zoom (only shoot 1:1)

- is taking video a better option than single pics

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. Oh . . and edited to add that the crappy pics I've been taking are in my gallery . . lol.

Edited by MarMax, 08 July 2020 - 09:04 PM.

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:31 PM

I'm like you, a beginner but I can answer two of your questions.
you can zoom
I use the two functions, simple photo and video, then I choose the best frame.
someone has made a thread on this real photos as we see them with the eye with a cel phone, I can no longer find it, maybe someone here will tell you.

#3 spereira

spereira

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

You can find the Smartphone Astrophotography topic here:

https://www.cloudyni...y/#entry7426933

smp

• sunnyday and MarMax like this

#4 MarMax

MarMax

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

You can find the Smartphone Astrophotography topic here:

https://www.cloudyni...y/#entry7426933

smp

Thanks for the linky. I'm not sure why I did not see that thread in my searches. I figured my post was  possibly redundant but all I found were much more advanced discussions. As the moderator you can remove this thread if you like and I can just hop over to the other thread. 

Edited to add that I did find that thread, just forgot about it. It's one of those 3 year threads that has lots of responses and is mostly about posting pictures. But if you read it's 40+ pages carefully you can find snippets of information. The last post in it is mine . . lol.

Edited by MarMax, 09 July 2020 - 11:32 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics