•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Professional Camera for Celestron Evolution 6

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 changks

changks

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:28 PM

Hello,

We purchased a Celestron Evolution 6 for a family project with our three little kids. Because we did not spent way too much budget on the telescope, so we could spent some more on other accessaries, particularly on a professional camera.

We tried our 12 years old Canon 50D. The image quality is not so good. So, we decided to purchase a CMOS/CCD camera.

Do you recommend a monochrome or a color camera? Which one could be a good investment in a long run?

Do you recommend Celestron Neximage 10?

Is it necessary to have a wage in order to track (lock) an object?

Thank you.

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:34 PM

Changing cameras will make no difference......

Your telescope/mount is about the worst thing you could have bought, if you planned on photography......unless you only wanted photos of the Moon...and just barely Jupiter....

If that's all you're after, just get a ZWO 224 color....

Edited by 17.5Dob, 08 July 2020 - 09:46 PM.

#3 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:50 PM

The Evolution 6 is ideally suited for planetary and lunar imaging. These should give you an idea of what is possible.

Small bore challenge: Jupiter w/ 6" or less

Small bore challenge: Saturn w/ 6" or less

Small bore challenge: the Moon w/ 6" or less

Small bore challenge: Mars w/ 6" or less

The camera I recommend for this is the ZWO ASI224MC with this IR-CUT filter. You will also want a 2x Barlow and eventually maybe get an ADC.

The Evolution 6 is not so great for imaging Deep Sky Objects like galaxies and nebulae. First there is the problem of a mount that is not built to hold the scope steady enough. Then the OTA has too narrow a view for most objects and it is f/10. You can make it f/6.3 with a focal reducer but the other two problems make it unsuitable.

One nice thing about planetary imaging is that it is way easier to learn and people are just as impressed with a picture of Jupiter as they are with a picture of a galaxy.

To learn planetary imaging check out my web site and the Cloudy Night's Solar System Imaging & Processing forum.

#4 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:58 PM

I do not recommend the NexImage 10. If you want to take a stab at planetary imaging without spending too much then get the NexImage 5. You won't need a Barlow or IR-CUT filter with that camera.

A wedge will eliminate field rotation. Here is an example of field rotation. I made this Jupiter animation with a wedge on an Evolution mount with a C8. For single still shots a wedge is not needed. For animations it is nicer to have no field rotation.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics