•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY600 - Yet another thread!

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:36 PM

I got my QHY600M with OAG and FW today. Filters will take few more days to get here.  The system looks well built (I do have the QHY814 and it has been working well as well). I am trying to characterize the camera and running into few issues

IMG_8691.jpg

I installed the latest available drivers from QHY site. Got the SDK, ASCOM drivers.  I also installed their driver bundle. The OS is latest Window 10, 64 bit.

My default imaging program has been SGP and I started with that. The ASCOM drivers show up and I could open ASCOM camera properties . I left readout mode to "photographic" and set 26 gain/10 offset as recommended in their site.

The cooling seem to work when started from SGP and when I tried to take a frame, I was hearing weird beeping (never experienced that before) and it was stuck in downlading and it never completed. 

I aborted the app. Reconnected the camera. Downloaded NINA . This is the first time I am seeing the program and it took a bit of time to get my way around it. But I replaced the QHYCCD dll file with the one I downloaded from the QHY site (WINDOWS_qhyccd_V20200203_0) and I could see NINA showing QHY600M in its list. I could also see ASCOM. I started with ASCOM and tried to take an image (1s duration). Same beeping ( I assume this is coming from the driver since both SGP and NINA have that beeping ) and same stuck-in-downlading state. 

I selected QHY600M in NINA's list and it connected fine. I could also take a sample image and it worked fine!. I had set the temp to -5C earlier and it seemed to have reached that too.

However, the chip temp values started showing weird values like -2560C etc. Turning the cooler on or off doesnt help. It seems like a driver bug. Has anyone experienced it? I was thinking that the driver will be a bit more stable given that this has been out for few months. But this seems pretty raw. 

Would love to hear what others are using in terms of software and settings. 

TIA and CS

Anis

• psandelle and Ken Sturrock like this

#2 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:14 PM

Reconnecting seems to fix it for a short time and again the temp values go out of whack

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.13.22 PM.png

#3 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:29 PM

Can you do the following and tell me if the situation changes?

1. Right click Start and select Power Options
  2. Click Additional Power Settings
  3. Click Change Plan Settings next to the selected (active) power plan
  4. Click Change Advanced Power Settings (by this time you might be realizing that Windows is pretty terrible at options structure)
  5. Expand the USB Settings menu
  6. Change USB Selective Suspend Setting to Disabled

You will need to physically disconnect the camera from the USB bus after setting this so that windows applies the new setting to its connection. Let me know if this works or not. It's an issue that I've seen pop up since Windows 10 2004. This isn't an issue with NINA, it's something on the USB level that's going on. If you use an app such as USB Device Tree Viewer to watch the bus, you'll notice that the device momentarily disconnects and then reconnects when this happens. It seems like turning USB Selective Suspend off in Windows will either prevent or drastically reduce the chance of this happening.

• anismo likes this

#4 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:53 PM

Thank you! I will try this out and report back. 

#5 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:29 AM

@dghent, Exact same issue unfortunately. 

ss1.jpg

Edited by anismo, 09 July 2020 - 12:30 AM.

#6 deepanshu29

deepanshu29

Mariner 2

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:37 AM

I see you are running NINA 1.9, that's too old and was released prior to QHY600 SDKs. Please download and install NINA 1.10 RC1 or newer. It should also come with latest QHY SDK that is working well with QHY600. 

• anismo and tkottary like this

#7 cccha

cccha

Vostok 1

• Vendors

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:55 AM

It seems that NINA's SDK needs to be updated. Recently QHY released an all-in-one installation package, which only needs to be installed once. The installation package will automatically help you update the driver and replace the SDK of the corresponding software. You can download it 

https://www.qhyccd.c...20.06.26.13.exe
You can also contact QHY technical support (cha@qhyccd.com) by email, and the technician will provide remote service to help you solve this problem.

• anismo likes this

#8 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

Thank you Deepanshu and ccha! I will update drivers/software . I was only selecting stable versions earlier but it makes sense that the RC builds are probably more current for new hardware.

#9 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:47 AM

I also saw unusually large over -2000C with Nebulosity but I'm not sure if it was with QHY native or ASCOM driver. But I didn't see temperature display issues with Voyager using both QHY native and ASCOM driver. I will check it again later and report back.

I installed latest QHY All-in-one driver but it didn't include latest qhyccd.dll driver so I manually copied 6-26-2020 qhyccd.dll from QHY SDK driver to Nebulosity and Voyager locations to be able to see 4 read modes.

Peter 

Edited by Peter in Reno, 09 July 2020 - 09:47 AM.

#10 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

So far I've not been able to reproduce the temperature display issue with Nebulosity and Voyager using both QHY native and ASCOM drivers.

I am able to download images without hanging. Note that I am using USB 2.0 port of laptop and USB 2.0 cable. Try use USB 2.0.

I am using Windows 10 with latest Windows update.

Peter

#11 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:07 PM

Hi Peter, I think I should try using Voyager as well. Since I am redoing imaging workflow, I might as well test it as well. I am very curious about the autofocus performance.

I installed new NINA build as well as the all in driver installer. 

With the NINA 1.10 RC003 also doesnt seem to work. The cooling is not working properly (it just keeps switching between different values) . The image download is also stuck with this version. 

I will ping QHY tech next and see if we can figure this out :) 

Attached Thumbnails

• ss1.jpg

#12 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

Voyager has a free trial. There are two different free trials. One is demo which is unlimited that captures total of 60 minutes per imaging session. Other is full blown 45 day trial. The demo is more than enough for you to test your camera. I think you will have to register with Voyager first. 

Peter 

#13 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:41 PM

I download Voyager and  tried connecting to the camera using ASCOM and it had same temp error after few as well.

With the latest ASCOM driver from all in one driver installer, SGP was able to connect and download an image. I also cooled down initially and then started getting error. 

At this point I have to assume there is something going on in camera side. May be a firmware issue . The errors are consistent across all three programs now.

This is the error that starts to pop in sgp after a while. NINA starts showing invalid values in temp .

at so.gr(Boolean A_0)
[07/09/20 14:38:03.188][DEBUG][CP Update Thread][NONE] ASCOM Camera: Error in GetCoolerTemp. : value of CCDTemperature is invalid. (System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: value of CCDTemperature is invalid.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
   at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
   at System.Type.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture)
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 243)
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 284
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera.get_CCDTemperature() in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:line 126

#14 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:48 PM

Voyager installs its own qhyccd.dll which is one step behind the latest but it shouldn't matter because I also tested my QHY600M with the same version qhyccd.dll without issues.

Sorry about your difficulties with your new camera. I hope QHY will get it resolved quickly. I suggest to send a direct email to them. They responded back to me quickly when I had some questions before I bought my QHY600M. 

Peter 

#15 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:00 AM

QHY support connected and checked the issue. It looked like hardware issue initially. As last ditch effort I swapped the USB cable (which came with the camera) with a startech cable I had and the problem went away! (I had a similar issue with ASI1600 too :) ). 

As usual, QHY support is very responsive (They did something similar for my QHY814A - to debug a possible switch issue and resolved it). 

It has been shooting darks all of last night, I am going to keep shooting it for few more hours. But it looks pretty stable. 

• psandelle, Peter in Reno and deepanshu29 like this

#16 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:02 AM

That's great news.

Peter 

• anismo likes this

#17 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

My master darks (All shot with -5C, Gain 26, Offset 10) are available if anyone want to check.  The camera is really clean with no hint of ampglow or any other artifacts. This is exciting. I will shoot some flats and bias for some tests and post them.

https://zerg.codelat...umxeebwvep5hc2m

• psandelle and Peter in Reno like this

#18 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

It is good to see the camera is working exactly as per spec.  With readout mode 0, at Gain 26 (which has a big drop in readout noise), the camera is expected to have a read out noise of 2.7e- and a full well of 27ke-

I ran the CCD param script with frames shot at -5C and it matches exactly as per spec.  I will plot this with different gain and if possible in different readout (Though I plan to stick to mode 0). Something to do until the filters get here... :) 

2020-07-11_13h11_13.png

• psandelle likes this

#19 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:49 PM

Here is the data I got for mode 0 at -5C with offset 10 and plotted them. The darks used were 60s and 60s. Bias was shot with 0.001 shutter. Flats were shot using a alnitak flats panel.

It is pretty close to spec.

Some interesting points:

Unity gain is at Gain setting 10. The Darkcurrent, Readnoise is quite high at that point. 

At Gain setting 0, it above unity gain and  the well is massive but the DR  interestingly is only slightly better than 26 Gain. 

Readnoise and dark current have a big drop at Gain setting 26. Also at gain 26, the darkcurrent is almost minuscule  at -5C and is only marginally better at -10C. 

Based on this, my default operating mode will be Gain 26. I will try out Gain 0 as well.

Plots.

2020-07-11_17h48_43.png

Here is the data in table form

2020-07-11_17h49_02.png

• psandelle likes this

#20 Eric Benson

Eric Benson

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:22 PM

Hi,

There must something wrong with the analysis here. Dark current is a function of pixel structure and temperature, it should not vary with readout mode or gain setting. The 0.008 e-/s reading must be an anomaly (and the 3.217e-/s reading is also suspect), I would imagine the intrinsic dark current for this sensor is more like 5e-/sec at that temperature.

Regards,

EB

#21 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:39 PM

Hi Eric,

Thanks. I will double check it. I am wondering if there was some kind light leak since I shot this during the day (with a covered box ). Here is the one for 46 gain. The values are from the PI script but I will definitely re-acquire data and try again. 

2020-07-11_17h08_11.png

#22 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:59 AM

Got the camera loaded on my FSQ106 last night and was able to grab  some data. I was prepping the FSQ for remote operation and had to load everything for the first time so it was first light for the whole rig.

I dont have filters so, this is without any filter. I am waiting for a preciseparts adapter for my reducer to use with this. So I just used a compression ring to connect the camera which introduced a bit of tilt. I Will have to figure out a solution for it until I get the adapter.

I also used SGP this time around (I am most familiar with it and with everything setup for the first time, I didnt want any more complexity). Everything worked perfectly (SGP download speeds were fine for me..). Autofocus was working. 

My settings were:

Gain - 26, Offset 10, 

Temp: -5C . However the camera struggled to keep it there.. It was dropping to -1, -2C at 100% power. Last night was hotter than usual here in Austin (My older FLI HP8300 hits -30C in these conditions!!) This is the only point of concern for me. 

Sub lengths: 3 minutes. Calibrated with 3 minute matched darks. No Bias. Flats were shot with Alnitak flipflat 

Filter: None

I got 47 subs before clouds rolled in. The subs are super clean. Calibration results in very good frames. I have to say that this camera/chip is looking like a winner. 

Processed Pixinsight: DBE, Deconvolution, Stretch and Curves. No noise reduction

Here is a compressed sub.

integration_stretch_PS.jpg

Full image at: https://www.astrobin...elua/B/?nc=user

The stars on left side are bad. Ignore that smile.gif

Edited by anismo, 12 July 2020 - 02:08 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#23 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

Have you tried dark scaling? 

Peter 

#24 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:59 AM

Have you tried dark scaling? 

Peter 

I havent tried it Peter. I can try to calibrate with the 10minute dark against the 3 minute light and check. I do have bias as well. so I should be able to test this. 

I also need to redo the test frames to see if that read noise reading at 26 gain is an anamoly as pointed out be EB. But I will do that only at night when I am not able to image.

#25 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

Second light with the camera without any filters: 

The camera is looking to be a real performer with real good data quality. This is shot in Austin with light pollution. The noise is very clean and easy to control. the data here is quite low (1.5 hours) and it still has so much details including dark nebulae details. 

I am trying to figure out the bad stars in top left . Since the FSQ has fixed rear element, the backfocus of 178 is the place where it can hit focus. so it can be spacing issue.
I am using compression rings but it feels pretty solid and I am wondering if the scope itself has corner issues (I have never tested this scope with a full frame chip and I am not sure if this has been there all along).

Few other issues I am hitting are, with SGP, the Platesolve2 hits out of memory error causing blind solving to happen for centering.  SGP's new autofocus routine sometimes fails with weird errors (bad HFR value two times in a row and aborts even though there are tons of stars etc).

The cooling is still a bit weak struggling to maintain -5C. 

I should also note that there is microlens diffraction on bright stars like the Kaf8300. You can see it on the gamma cygni in this image.

Here is a compressed version of the image. 

light_BINNING_1_integration_Stretch.jpg

Larger at: https://www.astrobin.com/w9kpaw/

Edited by anismo, 15 July 2020 - 01:06 PM.

• dghent and tkottary like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics