•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM60 park below horizon question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:03 AM

Greetings!

After building my new mini-observatory I set up a flat panel on the wall.  I can point the telescope to the panel but it is about 12 degrees below the horizon.   I set the mount to allow it to go below the horizon in Commander, but try as I might I cannot get it to park anywhere below the horizon.   I tried doing it in SGP and in Commander and I get an error each time.   Commander says that I can't park below the horizon.

Have any of you figured out a work around on this?   I sure would like to automate my flats, but if I can't have the scope park at the panel it is not going to be automated.   I guess I should mention that my walls are low so I can't realistically mount the panel higher without building some sort of contraption that can get out of the way when the roof closes.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• can'tpark.JPG

#2 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:47 PM

Did you alter the slew limit?

#3 Jii

Jii

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pirkkala, Finland

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

I have similar kind of situation with my CEM60 (though I'm still building the panel) and after few tests had to conclude that there is no way to park below horizon. I think that there have been also few other CEM60 & CEM120 users who have noticed the same limitation.

The only way I could come up to deal with this was to command CEM60 (via APT) to go to specific Alt-Az position matching to flatbox, stop tracking, take flats and finally park it to horizon position.

• Tom K likes this

#4 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Jii - I think you are right here.   Not sure why they allow me to set the altitude limit below the horizon (with a warning) and then disallow parking there, but it is what it is. 

I am thinking of a way to raise my panel up after I open the roof and then slide it back down when it closes - that will at least let me do flats while I sleep...which is the #1 goal here.

#5 BobW55

BobW55

Ranger 4

• Loc: Melvin, Michigan (Sanilac County)

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:44 PM

Have you tried moving the mount with the HC to the position you want the mount in, then tell the HC to set the park position as the current position?

#6 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

Have you tried moving the mount with the HC to the position you want the mount in, then tell the HC to set the park position as the current position?

Yes - same result.  I am going to work on a way to get the flat panel mounted where the scope can be horizontal.

#7 Jii

Jii

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

Is there some other reason why you want have mount parked when taking flats? Doesn't SGP support sending mount to specific Alt-Az coordinates in order to point scope to flat panel and then stop tracking? Those coordinates stay the same, after all.

With APT I'm using its internal commands during the sequence to do that, i.e:

• #GoToAltAz <alt coord> <az coord>
  • #Tracking off
  • <Take flats>
  • #Park

#8 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:38 PM

I searched through SGP and I could not find any way to tell it to go to a particular Alt Az position and stop tracking.   If there is such a feature it must be buried pretty deep in there!

#9 Jii

Jii

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:28 AM

Well, that's a bit surprise. But a quick googling told the same, SGP seems to work only with RA & Dec.

Anyway, god luck and hopefully you can get this working. waytogo.gif

#10 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

I looked this up in the SGP forums and the developers there say that the ASCOM standard only allows them to send a park command, but the telescope keeps the information about where the park location is.  Looking through the ASCOM standards I see that there is as ASCOM command that checks if the mount can slew to an Alt Az position, so this must be implemented in the mount firmware for some mounts, but I don't see it in the Ioptron software.

https://ascom-standa...anSlewAltAz.htm

I do see that SGP has pre and post event options that allow you to run a script, so I may look into the scripting capabilities, but it would all depend on whether Ioptron will accept a command to go to a certain alt az position I would imagine.

#11 Jii

Jii

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

iOptron's ASCOM driver requires mount to support iOptron Mount RS232 Command Language 2014 or later:

https://www.ioptron....cles.asp?ID=295

And the command language then has commands for going to Alt/Az coords:

http://www.ioptron.c...ge2014_V2.5.pdf

Going to Alt/Az worked fine for me via APT. Of course, it is still possible that APT used RA/Dec under the hood in case ASCOM driver did not support it at the end, as its manual says also this:

If the mount is not supporting movements by Alt/Az coordinates APT will convert them to RA/Dec for current time and for the current Location.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics