•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

orion starshoot G3 mono for high focal length off axis guiding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zernikepolynomial

zernikepolynomial

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:43 AM

The Orion G3 has fat pixels, but can it find and lock onto stars for off axis guiding, at a high focal length? Lets say FL between 1-2m

#2 jamesNewmanF125

jamesNewmanF125

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arvada, Colorado

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:53 AM

Would depend on the speed of the scope, and the willingness of the user to bin it if need be.

My favorite piece of gear is my SBIG ST-i, it has big pixels and has no issues picking up any stars, regardless of the field presented.  I've used it in everything from my VSD100, to my EdgeHD at it's slow native F10, and I can always get at least one solid guide star.

#3 zernikepolynomial

zernikepolynomial

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:55 PM

Would depend on the speed of the scope, and the willingness of the user to bin it if need be.

My favorite piece of gear is my SBIG ST-i, it has big pixels and has no issues picking up any stars, regardless of the field presented.  I've used it in everything from my VSD100, to my EdgeHD at it's slow native F10, and I can always get at least one solid guide star.

f/9

I am finding there is some subjective opinion on a good off axis camera. Some people dont want to rotate the OAG at all, when I fully expect to prepare my OAG angle ahead of time using software.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics