•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAIC

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 albln

albln

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:48 AM

From their Facebook page it appear that NEIAC will not occur September 14 and 15 as it was rescheduled. 

Those of us who had signed for this event and paid for it prior to its original cancellation, how do we request a refund?  At this point in time I might not be able to attend the event in april 2021...

Thanks

Al

#2 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:30 PM

I’m expecting them to not refund and apply our money to the next conference.

#3 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Vendor (NEAIC - North East Astro Imaging Conference)

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:04 PM

Hi everybody sorry that information has not been forthcoming I have been without a  computer for a while, my $2000 laptop was knocked off the table at a NEAIC meeting. And with so many other things going on I just haven’t had time to have it sent out.

As of right now what I can tell you about the imaging conference is very little. I have not received any communications from the Rockland astronomy club since March although I have sent numerous Messages asking for some guidance on the refund policy. What I have received back is a statement saying that the refund policy is published on the Rockland astronomy club‘s website.

As for the September dates, as of this writing the September dates to just wishful thinking, all of the speakers that I had lined up for the April’s event have informed me they will not be traveling for September, also as of this time New York State is not permitting gatherings of that size. we don’t know what the next two months will bring I do not believe that the state will allow 250 people sitting shoulder to shoulder in a close Indoor space. I hope that helps, if anyone would like to speak further email me at n2ixa@optonline.net with a phone number and I’ll give you a call.  those of you out there that have what once was my phone number will have to do the same! the 0509 number is no longer valid for me, you can always get me on Facebook or email me but it’s a lot easier to have this conversation on the phone.

I hope everyone is staying safe as well and your families. Please wear a mask! us old farts need all the help we can get staying safe.

all the best I will see you in 2021.

If anyone knows an artist I’d like to get their contact information and discuss a design for a 2021 T-shirt

thanks.

• George N likes this

#4 hopskipson

hopskipson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

Although I have not heard anything definitive, I have a feeling NEAF will not happen in September either.

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

Rockland's website refund policy states no refunds will be given for any reason.

I think the "any reason" is going to lead to a LOT of issues.

Anyone who paid by credit card can get their card issuer to pursue a chargeback for non-delivery of agreed-upon goods or services.  I recommend everybody do this. $315 plus workshop fees is a lot to be out.

• Augustus likes this

#6 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:56 AM

Hi everyone, I have been told that the Rockland astronomy club board of directors met last Thursday in a zoom meeting to discuss the refund policy. I have not been told what the outcome of that meeting has been. I was not asked to take part in there meeting. I did make a recommendation to the board that refunds should be granted and that anyone who does not apply for a refund that their 2020 payment would be honored as full payment to the 2021 event, even if there is an increase in cost. I have recommended that they put a link on the website that will click through to a few questions to generate your refund through your credit card company. This recommendation was made this past Saturday two days after the meeting I have not heard a response to my recommendation as of this time.

I wish I could do more to help in this situation but I am not a on the board of RAC I only run the event for them. 

Edited by Bob Moore, 27 July 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#7 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

Bob

Thanks for the update, I will just be "letting it ride", too much hassle for the refund etc.  If it doesnt happen in September, I will be attending when ever it does happen, even if that is not until next year.

Mark

#8 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:04 PM

Mark, I have also told them that in the NEAIC will not be happening in September. Exhibitors and speakers all informed me that they will not be traveling therefore we have no event for September we have great hope for April-ish of 2021 but that will really depend on the ruling of the states and local municipalities.

#9 albln

albln

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

Bob.-  I really appreciate all you have done and currently do for NEIAC and us.  It is a thankless job, so I want wanted to say 'Thanks!' to you !

Al

Edited by albln, 27 July 2020 - 04:27 PM.

#10 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:36 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the update. 

Clear skies, Alan

#11 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

You guys are all welcome to call me just send me a PM and I’ll send you my number or better yet send me your number and I’ll call you but we didn’t cost any more than it already has

#12 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:04 AM

I agree with Al, Bob, you do a great job, much appreciated.

Mark

#13 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

Still no word from RAC

#14 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

• Vendors

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:10 AM

This is off the RAC web site. This is not anything new..

” Terms & Refund Policy

No Refund Policy

The Club has a NO REFUNDS Policy for all online purchases.  The Rockland Astronomy Club, Inc. (RAC) is a non-profit 501c3 educational outreach organization and our events are planned far in advance.  We are an all-volunteer club and there are many upfront costs based on the number of people who choose to attend our events.  Therefore, RAC cannot possibly refund tickets or registration fees for any of our events.  If this is not acceptable to you, please do not use this web site to make purchases.  Thank you. “

#15 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:53 AM

That is one pretty lousy and dismissively terse statement on their part. Further, there does not seem to be any clear messaging if the paid fees for 2020 will be applied towards any future NEAF or NEAIC admission. So if I had mailed in a check for my NEAIC/NEAF registration, would I be entitled to a refund? Their statement does not say. Is there anyone who happened to register that way and would want to try?

It will be very interesting to see their form 990 and Schedule O to see how these "up-front" costs are laid out, because surely not every cent of every pre-paid admission has already been spent. Given the how things have been, it is likely a lot of these expenses have already been refunded to them anyway. This statement just does not feel right.

Edited by dghent, 28 July 2020 - 10:53 AM.

• mogur, Augustus and t1duplex like this

#16 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

There’s a term for taking money and not delivering what was promised, but I can’t recall it right now.smile.gif

• Augustus likes this

#17 spereira

spereira

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

Folks, please see the http://www.rocklandastronomy.com website.

They have some fancy stuff going on there, but after a few moments (or you may have to hover your cursor over the right spot), a link comes up announcing the cancellation of the events until 2021, and there's a link to their complete official statement:

http://www.rocklanda...F_PR_8.3.20.pdf

In that statement, the say specifically:

"NOTE: All 2020 purchases and registrations will automatically be credited to the 2021 NEAF and 2021 NEAIC."

So folks, PLEASE let's not continue making assumptions and vague references to shady behavior.

smp

• mark77 likes this

#18 albln

albln

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:01 PM

I understand what the club is going through.  However, they do not understand that those who purchased tickets for 2020 may be experiencing some difficulties as well.

They are also making the assumption that those who purchased tickets for NEAIC 2020, will be able to attend this event in 2021. That is a bit assumption that does not take into account that life happens during one year and some of us may not be able to attend in 2021. Their attitude is on the arrogant side.

Some organizations I belong had to cancel events also. One of them offered those who purchased tickets the choice of keeping them for 2021, get a refund or give them as a donation.  Another organization issued refunds in less than 1 week after notifying that the conference was cancelled.

Because I have organized events in the past, I have always registered as soon as possible so the organization(s) sponsoring the event can start counting on hard numbers of attendees. However, for RAC I am going to wait until the last possible moment before registering. RAC has shown full disregard for their support group.  I know they have a no-refund policy.  That's OK if I purchase tickets and at the last moment I have to cancel. It is my own doing.  But when they are those who cancel even due to state or national directives, they should reconsider their policy. 

Please understand that these comments are not directed to any of you, especially Bob. I contacted the RAC a couple of times without any response with the same concerns. This just leaves a bad taste.  Yes, they are all volunteers, but so are volunteers the folks in the groups I mentioned above.  I don't expect a response in 2 hours, but a response in two weeks would be nice.

Maybe we should just close this thread so we are not beating a dead horse.  On my part, I will consider the $ 300+  I paid to attend in 2020 a lesson on how to deal with this group in the future. Expensive lesson.

Al

• mogur and Augustus like this

#19 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:47 AM

There’s a term for taking money and not delivering what was promised, but I can’t recall it right now.smile.gif

Best to do an "at the door" registration if the times seem uncertain.   Even if it costs more.  Maybe next year do a free online pre-registration.   Pay at the door for all registrations, but give a small discount for those who pre-registered.  Then, if there's the likely cancellation, there will be nothing to refund.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 03 August 2020 - 05:00 PM.

• mogur likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics