•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Getting better but seeing and surface winds did not help - Jupiter 7-9-20

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:51 AM

Wanted to see if my efforts are paying off.  Again we've had several days of rain and clouds but happened to wake up this morning to clear skies.  Seeing was only 6/10 and the scope was buffeting a bit in the surface gusts.

This is a 40% stack of a 24000 frame capture at 300 Gain and 5 ms exposure.  Still not there but this is the first time I've been able to resolve some details within the GRS.

2020-07-09-0756_8-DC-L-JupAS_406113w.jpg

• Sunspot, Achernar, wargrafix and 4 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

Well done, fingers crossed for better weather soon!

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:39 AM

Nice one, rare to get a double shadow and the GRS :)

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

Nice one, rare to get a double shadow and the GRS smile.gif

I haven't checked yet but the spot on the left is the moon not another shadow.  Just haven't had time to look and see which one it is.

• RedLionNJ and Tulloch like this

#5 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

I haven't checked yet but the spot on the left is the moon not another shadow.  Just haven't had time to look and see which one it is.

The moon is Callisto.

• RedLionNJ and Tulloch like this

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:18 PM

You can always tell the major moons by their colors, surface patterns and relative sizes. You just have to learn two sets, as the moons look different against a dark background (space) vs a light one (Jupiter's globe).

OP:  I'm not sure where you're located, but it may take many, many nights to have collimation, seeing and focus all play nicely together. And the seeing, at least, can vary from minute to minute. It requires an inordinate amount of patience in some areas.  Unfortunately, you can only collimate really well in great seeing and you can only focus really well with great collimation AND great seeing.  The trifecta is rare - the best you can do is to be prepared for it.

• Lacaille likes this

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

You can always tell the major moons by their colors, surface patterns and relative sizes. You just have to learn two sets, as the moons look different against a dark background (space) vs a light one (Jupiter's globe).

OP:  I'm not sure where you're located, but it may take many, many nights to have collimation, seeing and focus all play nicely together. And the seeing, at least, can vary from minute to minute. It requires an inordinate amount of patience in some areas.  Unfortunately, you can only collimate really well in great seeing and you can only focus really well with great collimation AND great seeing.  The trifecta is rare - the best you can do is to be prepared for it.

Agreed.  Outside Dallas, TX here in a little town made famous by the Superconducting Super Collider - Waxahachie, Tx

• RedLionNJ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics